ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

My first Angel Food cake

So I have heard that Angel Food cake is easy to make. :shock: Lots of precision whisking and mixing. Hope I got it right. Just put the cake in the oven. Hope I got it right.

I am not a baker. I excel at savory cooking - great with sauces.

Waiting to see if my cake is edible.

lexusnexus
Green Thumb

Good luck with your cake. Not particularly fond of sponge cake, though.

imafan26
Mod

I love angel food cake, it is so light and airy and relatively lower in calories than other desserts.
Angel food cake is a great base for a trifle.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Well! How did it come out? Is it scrumptious? When I was a boy and first tasted Angle Food Cake, I thought it was amazing and delicious. Mom and sisters bought the proper pan and perfected the cake. It tasted good even before they got the texture and moisture correctly down, I'd forgotten about that.

Where was I? Yes, How has it come out? What color is it, how does it feel when you squeeze it? I mean, when you have time to post.

Richard

Cola82
Green Thumb

I can already taste the slightly chewy crust.

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Cool, please post photos.

I am so jealous because every time I try to buy a pan it's either priced worth it's weight in gold or it can't be shipped here or some nonsense :x

I will make it one day!

valley
Greener Thumb

Hi,evtubbergh, You can make an aluminium cone and set in in the centre of a metal pot when you fill it with batter. The cone will allow that the cake will be cooked through and being cone shaped it can be removed form the cake after baking. Than if and when a proper pan presents it's self you can pick it up.

Richar

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

Hiya, yeah I really could but it's a mission. I mean, where do you get aluminium from? But it will happen eventually.

valley
Greener Thumb

Hi, Sheet Aluminium should be all around you, well, here in the states if you buy a plate of Lasagna from the market it will be come in a deep tray of heavy aluminium foil, heavy but easy to form with your hands. Can you buy them where you are?

Richard

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Sorry all. Busy since last post. The color and flavor were great. It was not as light and airy as it should have been - just a little dense. I need to work on that precision whisking of the egg whites. Of course once it was topped with a strawberry coulis and fresh Louisiana strawberries and home made whipped cream - who cares if it is a little dense? Sure tasted good. I will try it again and pay more attention to the egg whites. I have a fairly large whisk but it is not a balloon whisk. Maybe that makes a difference.

Oh well - I did not expect perfection the first time.

imafan26
Mod

Toppings make the cake. Sounds delish.

valley
Greener Thumb

Sounds great! Haven't seen an Angel food for so many years.

Richard

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”