ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Celeriac A.K.A. Celery Root

I picked up a very nice Celeriac at the produce market. I have never cooked it before. Any suggestions?

I found tons of recipes on line but would love to hear from you on your favorite recipe.

I also found Sun Chokes/Jerusalem Artichokes.

I am hungry for a holiday meal using these two treats.

This is my partial menu.

I took a Boston Butt out of the freezer. It is defrosting. I will cut off the heavy fat cap. Stuff it with onions, garlic, jalapenos, salt and Cayenne. Season the outside with salt and Cayenne. Dry brown all sides in a cast iron Dutch oven. Deglaze the pan with lots of red wine. Toss in more onions and garlic, carrots and cubed Sun Chokes instead of potatoes. Cover and bake until done. Add porcini mushrooms after taking it out of the oven. Cover and let sit for 10 minutes. Remove the meat and make a gravy with demi glace, wine and butter.

Rice dressing with diced Sun Chokes.

Celeriac - how - soup, roasted, puréed, salad?

A salad of some type.

Louisiana strawberries are in season so strawberry shortcake for desert with real whipped cream.

It is G's birthday Saturday so this will be an early birthday dinner.

Oh - gas reducer before dinner. Those Sun chokes have such a wonderful flavor but are super gas bombs.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Thanks All

evtubbergh
Green Thumb

I saw celeriac sauteed with butter on TV. I think the person then mashed it. I have heard you can use it with potato in gratin and cube and add to soup.

I have been dying to try it but still have to get some seeds.

Lindsaylew82
Super Green Thumb

What did you do with it?

I think I would have tossed them in with your roasting meat!

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”