ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

MORE tons of Great Recipes

Looking through old post - this was obviously a "Hot Topic". Lets start over and share more recipes.

My FAVORITE Spaghetti Sauce - with fresh from the garden tomatoes.

https://www.cookingchanneltv.com/recipes ... nesca.html

I do not tweak this one much - just fresh basil and a few shavings of Parmesan Reggiano on top of the dish. Perfect as is.

When we have over night guest - step son and his family - I prep this the night before and bake for breakfast. I also make it in muffin tins for G to take with him to his fishing camp.

https://abc.go.com/shows/the-chew/recipe ... rio-Batali

This one I tweak.

Only 4 cups of cubed bread - 8 cups is just TOO much. You end up with more bread than anything else.

G hunts so we always have smoked venison sausage in the freezer. I also like Andouille sausage.
I use Gruyere cheese - 2 1/2 cups - 2 in the mix and 1/2 cup for topping.
I also add 2 cups chopped, fresh spinach to the egg mix.
If you do not want to make the Tomatillo Salsa use commercial Salsa Verde.

The recipe says it serves 12 but with the reduced bread figure 8 servings. Re-heats very well in the microwave for a snack or another breakfast.

I wait for my basil every summer to make basil mayonnaise.

1 cup mayonnaise - home made or Hellman's
2 tbsp. olive oil
1 cup loosely packed fresh basil
1 clove garlic
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/2 tsp. fresh ground pepper
Zest of small lemon
2 tbsp. fresh lemon juice.

Put all ingredients in a food processor and pulse until Basil is finely chopped and all ingredients are well blended.

Taste and adjust seasoning.

Refrigerate - covered for 2 hours.

Great as a vegetable dip, salad dressing or sandwich spread.

If made with homemade mayonnaise it will keep 3 or 4 days in the refrigerator. A commercial mayonnaise base will keep for 2 or 3 weeks. Once you taste it your won't have to worry about long term storage.

So bring it on gals and guys! Give up your favorite recipes.

Can't wait to see what you come up with.

imafan26
Mod

This is still early yet, but soon I will be inundated with eggplant again so this was one of my favorite ways to use it. And it freezes well too.

Classic Caponata
Bon Appétit | August 2005
by Doris Jacobson, Anaheim, CA
Recipe
Reviews (33)
fork user rating4
fork user rating

rate recipe
100%
would make
it again

saved to
recipe box

reviews

add a review
yield
Makes 6 to 8 appetizer servings
active time
40 minutes
total time
40 minutes
Doris Jacobson of Anaheim, California, writes: "I host many family gatherings, and I always get requests for my lemon bars and my caponata appetizer. They're easy to make and perfect for picnics at the beach or an evening at the Hollywood Bowl. Plus, both recipes can be made ahead.
Fresh basil brightens up this traditional eggplant spread. Serve it on baguette slices or crackers.

ingredients
5 tablespoons olive oil
1 1 1/2-pound eggplant, unpeeled, cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 medium onion, cubed
4 large garlic cloves, chopped
1 14 1/2-ounce can diced tomatoes with Italian seasonings in juice
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
2 tablespoons drained capers
1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
Toasted pine nuts
preparation

Heat oil in heavy large pot over medium heat. Add eggplant, onion, and garlic cloves. sauté until eggplant is soft and brown, about 15 minutes. Add diced tomatoes with juice, then red wine vinegar and drained capers. Cover and simmer until eggplant and onion are very tender, stirring occasionally, about 12 minutes. Season caponata to taste with salt and pepper. Mix in fresh basil. Transfer caponata to serving bowl. Sprinkle with toasted pine nuts. Serve warm, at room temperature, or cold. (Caponata can be made 2 days ahead. Cover and chill.)

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”