imafan26
Mod

Re: Let's talk recipes -- are you as random as I am?

What a coincidence! Even though it is hot and muggy for this time of the year. I made soup too. I made Portuguese ham and bean soup. I don't have any pictures. I am having the last bowl of it today. It takes a couple of days to make and it best eaten the day after. I used the slow cooker this time.
Portuguese ham and bean soup
Wash and soak 1 lb red kidney beans overnight in water. If you are using canned beans skip this step.
In slow cooker (6qt) add to pot the same time beans are being soaked.
2-3 smoked ham hocks or shanks. Leftover ham bone can also be used
1 lb smoked boneless ham, diced
1-2 Portuguese linguica, sliced or diced, pan fried till browned and added to the pot
(Anduille, chorizo, Kielbasa, or other spicy sausage can be used if you cannot find Portuguese sausage, but the flavor will be different. You may have to add tobasco or chilies for more heat)
1 onion chopped
1 potato diced in 1/4 inch chunks
4 stalks celery
2 ham soup bouillon
1 quart chicken stock and water to cover meat.
2 bay leaves
2 packets sazon.
Salt and pepper to taste
Set slow cooker on Auto and cook for 5 hours
Remove and de bone the hocks and shanks. Dice the meat and return to the pot. Optional to dice the skin as well or discard.
Cooked soaked beans until tender about 1 hour. Drain and add to soup. Or add 2 cans drained canned beans. You can add the bean liquid but usually there isn't going to be enough room unless you have a larger pot.
Add
1- 29 oz can crushed tomatoes or Tomato puree
6 oz can tomato paste
4 large carrots cut into 1 inch chunks
2 large potatoes cut into 1 inch chunks
Continue cooking for another 4 hours or until the vegetables are done.
I had to remove some of the stock. The pot was too full.
Adjust the seasoning add more salt, pepper or Tabasco or pepper flakes if needed.

Parboil and drain:
1 medium cabbage, cut into chunks
Add to soup and cook for another 30 minutes.
turn off the cooker.
Add 1 bunch cilantro leaves to the pot and stir it in.
Cool and refrigerate overnight. Skim off the fat in the morning.
I did not have much fat to skim off my soup. Cabbage makes the soup taste sour, but will mellow out if the soup is allowed to
blend the flavors for a day. I was able to add back the stock I removed once the bones were removed.

Optional:
Cook elbow macaroni and drain.
Add some cooked elbow macaroni to the bowl when the soup is reheated and served. Macaroni can be added to the soup, but only if you are going to eat all of the soup at one time. Otherwise the macaroni will get mushy and absorb the soup.

Serve soup with soda crackers or Portuguese bread ( I like sweetbread, but white buns work too.)

Most of the time unless you have a really big pot, the soup will end up in two pots.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

We made garden Chili for dinner. We cooked 1 lb of 97% lean ground beef, 1 large onion, 10 large garlic cloves, 1/2 lb Cajun Pork Sausage, cook in skillet until cooked then add, 1 quart garden whole tomatoes with skins, 1 can Ro-Tel, 2 garden Red color New Mexico Chilies, 1 cup garden sweet corn, 1 can dark red kidney beans, 1 can BBQ Baked beans, cook in pot until it comes to a boil. Add 1 T BBQ sauce, 3 spoons of Dark Brown Sugar to taste, salt, black pepper, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, 1/4 cup red wine. This has to be the #1 best chili we ever made. We started out with the old recipe but we did not follow the recipe, we threw in as much as we though might taste good and keep tasting it as we go. I ate 3 bowls.
Attachments
100_8444.JPG
100_8452.JPG
100_8454.JPG

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I was in the mood for a Mexican or TexMex type dish, so I made some chili, with ground beef, and I added some canned black beans and some of that dried eggplant, rehydrated, while doing most of the rest of the dish. I cooked the beef in a sauté pan, but I tried using the Instant Pot, to speed up cooking the "sauce", but it just didn't taste right, so I added the beef to it, and let it simmer for about 30 min., but it still wasn't quite right, so I played with the seasonings, then added the beans, and put it on slow cook high, and after 30 minutes, added the drained eggplant, and simmered another 30 minutes, and finally, the flavor was coming around. So now I know, pressure cooking this kind of sauce does not speed up a long, slow simmer! I finished it by thickening with some masa harina, and had a couple of corn tortillas with it, and topped with some Monterey jack.
ImageChili, with some black beans and re-hydrated eggplant. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Recipes from literary tales?

Have you picked up recipes that were included or referenced in stories you were reading? We have one or two we found that way.

From the quirky novel 'Stanley Park' we got "Grenadin de Porc au Beurre La Fin Du Monde" - a fancy French name but we just call it Pork Chops Stanley Park and we like it a lot. Fin Du Monde is the name of the French-Canadian beer it's cooked in - quite pricey with a very unusual flavor I've acquired a taste for.

'The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society' provides a wartime occupation/austerity recipe for - Potato Peel Pie! We made it and took samples to the library where the ladies sampled it and bravely, straight-faced, pronounced it delicious. It was not! Although if you were starving .......

'A Gentleman in Moscow' referenced Latvian stew but gave no recipe. Online there are several guesses at how to make it, all including dried apricots. We cobbled one together from the various suggestions and enjoyed it, served with Gorgonzola perogies.

If you enjoy stories with unusual plots or recipes with unusual ingredients, in each case I would recommend two of the three above - but not the same two! :).

Any other pointers to books with 'different' plot lines? Particularly if they're about food or include recipes?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Vanisle_BC wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 10:41 pm
Recipes from literary tales?

Have you picked up recipes that were included or referenced in stories you were reading? We have one or two we found that way.

From the quirky novel 'Stanley Park' we got "Grenadin de Porc au Beurre La Fin Du Monde" - a fancy French name but we just call it Pork Chops Stanley Park and we like it a lot. Fin Du Monde is the name of the French-Canadian beer it's cooked in - quite pricey with a very unusual flavor I've acquired a taste for.

'The Guernsey Literary and Potato Peel Pie Society' provides a wartime occupation/austerity recipe for - Potato Peel Pie! We made it and took samples to the library where the ladies sampled it and bravely, straight-faced, pronounced it delicious. It was not! Although if you were starving .......

'A Gentleman in Moscow' referenced Latvian stew but gave no recipe. Online there are several guesses at how to make it, all including dried apricots. We cobbled one together from the various suggestions and enjoyed it, served with Gorgonzola perogies.

If you enjoy stories with unusual plots or recipes with unusual ingredients, in each case I would recommend two of the three above - but not the same two! :).

Any other pointers to books with 'different' plot lines? Particularly if they're about food or include recipes?
I love potato peels from a baked potato I might like Potato Peel Pie. I love to try new foods especially from other countries. I don't find recipes or food names in the type books I read, electronics, chemistry, physics, science, engineering, etc. I have bought books to cook certain foods but I have a problem knowing what I am cooking from only the a name that I often can not pronounce & no pictures. I can't cook anything with my India cook book I can not get fresh spices & if its not cooked the correct way it tastes totally different than it should. German food is a lot like American food with some very creative differences. I love to watch cooking shows on TV, Italy, France & Poland have some very good looking food. I have made German Pasty & Jewish Knish both are very good, I had to watch YouTube videos to learn how to cook it. German Pasty is basically pie crust filled with Beef Stew bakes in the oven in fried pie shapes, squares, 6 sides of 8 sides or round then covered with gravy when eaten. Wife decided Pasty is very easy to make in single service Pot Pie Bowls the crispy pie crust makes it very good & gravy makes it extra good. I found a very mild sauerkraut recipe I like it taste a lot like cooked cabbage with a good Kraut flavor that is not sour. Jewish Knish is a mash potato base mix of cooked vegetables & meat rolled up in bread dough then baked in the oven, it looks like a small 1 person size loaf of bread with filling inside, these are very good too I have made them several times. I know nothing about Russian food, I never see recipes, books or cooking shows for it. Monday night there is a TV show I like, the lady travels and shows, wine, deserts, & foods from several countries, food looks good I would love to travel just to eat different food. She showed a wine I would love to try but have not found it online yet or at the local wine store. She does not show recipes only how it is made & assembled in the kitchen. Oriental countries cook a lot of the same things cooked different ways with different spices. I was interested in Korean food several months ago and cooked several interesting things that were good but not as good as Thai food. I know a lady from Vietnam she showed me how to cook several things, she makes it look easy, it is not easy for me.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

Sometimes I stumble across a reference to a dish with an unusual name, and search for the recipe. For instance:
Northumberland Pan Haggerty.
A simple, tasty dish made with layers of potato, cheese & onion. Plenty of recipes online, even with pictures :).

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

We have a wide mouth pottery jar that sits on top of the control panel above the stove top. Whenever we use a herb or spice in a recipe we chuck some surplus into the jar; so the mix is always changing. Even fresh chopped herbs are OK. They dry from the heat there and don't go moldy. When we're unsure about seasoning, or just in an ad-lib kind of mood, a sprinkle (or a handful) from the jar goes into whatever we're cooking. A sniff at the jar is always inspiring!

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I didn't do much outside today - windy and cool again, but getting into the 60s the next couple of days, so I'll wait! lol And it was getting darker, around 4:30, and I remembered that I wanted to harvest something, so I went out and harvested some Swiss chard, and some other greens, for the soup in the slow cooker. The greens in the raised bed had a bout with slugs in early October - I always put some sluggo down, but it got washed away, even though in granules, due to some very heavy rain, at that time. By the time I put some more down, the slugs had already hit, and some of those early leaves are now getting harvested, and the holes have grown!
ImageKomatsuna, with old slug holes, that grew large. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Out front, the Swiss chard had not been touched by slugs!

So I made a soup in the IP, using some great northern beans, those miscellaneous greens, and some turkey kielbasa. I started it with a mirepoix, with some garlic added. I added a couple tb of the chicken broth concentrate, and a generous tb of red miso, 3 bay leaves, and 2 tb minced fresh sage, along with 9 cups of water, and a pound of great northern beans. I brought it to a simmer in the sauté mode, then switched to the medium slow cook mode. I cooked it 3 hours, then added 1/2 cup pearl barley, along with the greens, and about 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper. Then I lightly browned the cut up sausage, and added that, and cooked another 90 minutes. Then I added a half cup of red lentils, to thicken the broth, and cooked another 30 min. I stirred in another 2 tsp of fresh sage, before serving.
ImageAbout 8 cups of cut up greens, washed and spun dry. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageHalf cooked soup, with greens added. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinished soup. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageSoup, ready to serve. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I made a delicious gumbo type dish tonight, in the IP, with some leftover ham and okra, from the freezer, a can of diced tomatoes, and onion, bell pepper, garlic, thyme, cloves, bay, and hot pepper. I also used toor dal and some leftover brown rice, and added some fish sauce, for salt, and that flavor it added was a plus. I cooked it for 2½ hrs. on slow cook high, and the lentils were done, but still had some texture - toor dal is another, like channa dal, that keeps its shape longer, without turning mushy. The rice sort of disintegrated - no big deal, but I probably should have put it in much later, since it was already cooked.
ImageGumbo type dish, with a pint of okra, brown rice, and toor dal. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

webmaster
Site Admin

I have some slow cooked picnic roast I need to finish up. Did tacos and enchiladas with it already.

I need to think of something else to do with it!

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

webmaster wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:24 am
I have some slow cooked picnic roast I need to finish up. ....I need to think of something else to do with it!
Quick suggestion use it in strips in a stirfry. Or shredded/chopped in mashed potato & onion?

applestar
Mod

Ramen noodle soup?

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

webmaster wrote:
Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:24 am
I have some slow cooked picnic roast I need to finish up. Did tacos and enchiladas with it already.

I need to think of something else to do with it!

Meat Burros, Chili Burros, Burritos, Meat stuffed mole sauce baked potato, Taco salad.
Attachments
100_8588.JPG
100_8587.JPG

imafan26
Mod

I wish everyone a happy and healthy Thanksgiving. Although, my family cannot be together, we are still sharing food. My BIL is making a smoked turkey and I am making Lemon meringue pie. My mom is getting a can of cranberry sauce (she's actually the only one who likes it.)

webmaster
Site Admin

Thanks for the suggestions on the picnic roast!

There are only three of us this Thanksgiving so I'm going to roast a duck with a cranberry glaze and sauce.

imafan26
Mod

Thanks for the info on the Instant Pot. I probably won't give up my rice cooker. In Hawaii, rice cookers are a staple. I cook rice, steam vegetables usually on top of the rice, (make hard boiled eggs when I cook my rice). I have a low end simple Aroma 5 cup rice cooker. It also needs to cook about 2 cups minimum of rice. Not a problem here. I don't eat rice daily, but I will cook 4 cups at a time and freeze it for later. It tastes better frozen than if you keep it in the frig. I could make bokashi out of that. My rice cooker is not a zojirushi cooker, but then I don't make sushi everyday and I don't buy fancy rice. I have pandan that makes any rice taste better. I have a slow cooker too. I don't use it that much either and I have a pressure canner and 6 qt pressure cooker. I have to decide if I would make enough use out of the Instant pot to replace these other specialty cookers or if I really need an instant pot at all.

applestar
Mod

imafan26 wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 2:22 pm
I have pandan that makes any rice taste better.
Please elaborate. I thought about buying pandan plant a few years ago. There is a nursery in north NJ that was selling them then. Depending on what you tell me, I might reach out and find out if they still have their (presumably) mother plant and if I could buy from them..... ...only remotely local source I found so far...

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I'd be interested in growing pandanus leaves, too. We can only get it around here frozen. It is an unusual herb, used a lot in southern Thailand and Malaysia. It has sort of a vanilla like flavor, and a favorite rice "pudding" that I make is simply a small amount of sugar, water, pandanus leaves, and some black sticky rice, and it is simmered until very thick, something I usually do in the slow-cook mode. It's delicious warm, or refrigerated, when it gets thicker.

webmaster
Site Admin

I've never heard about adding pandan to rice. That's really interesting. I'm going to check my local Asian grocery store to see if they sell it.

I add kombu to my rice when I make it for sushi.

imafan26
Mod

Pandan is a leaf from the dwarf screw pine. called pandanas. The leaves from larger trees can be used to weave hats, baskets, and mats. The leaves are hard to find unless you have a plant. What is sold in Asian groceries is pandan extract. It is used mainly as a flavoring (like vanilla), for things like agar agar.

It is not that easy to find pandan plants here either. I just like to grow unusual plants. Once in a while, pandan is sold in nurseries locally. Pandan leaves tied in knotted bundles are sold in Chinatown for culinary use.

https://devour.asia/how-to-use-pandan-l ... n-cooking/

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Imafan, How large do those "dwarf" screwpines grow? I know I'd have to bring them indoors, in this area, once it's cold out.

The pandanus extract I've seen has always said artificial, or imitation. I haven't seen any real extract here, but I never looked for it online.

applestar
Mod

According to Logee’s (logees.com) in Connecticut, which is my goto for my climate-appliable tropical plant care, basic description for Pandanus amaryllifolius is;
Hardiness Zone 10
Sun Requirement Full Sun, Partial Sun
Grows to 2-3'
Minimum Temperature Indoors 45
To me it looks like a basic house/office plant — hopefully not too hard to keep.

They list it, too. 4" pot but they are sold out. So we have 2 potential east coast sources so far. I wasn’t thinking immediate acquisition — it’s pretty much too late to try to order tropicals by mail unless willing to splurge for temperature controlled shipping (which would be overnight). The above mentioned NJ herb nursery — I think it’s in the Skylands area — normally compiles a catalog in May, but they didn’t this year. Hopefully, they will be next spring.

@Imafan, @pepperhead — how do you compare pandan vs. vanilla? I mean I can’t imagine putting vanilla extract in rice unless it is sticky rice sweetened for dessert.... even then I guess I might lean towards vanilla for dairy-based, and only consider needing pandan if using coconut milk/cream ... to be authentic? I have been migrating towards coconut milk based desserts due to varying levels of milk sensitivity.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Vanilla is the closest thing I can think of to compare pandanus to - other flavors in there, but that's the closest.

I was in the mood for some Indian type dish, so I threw together something in the Instant Pot, using those mustard greens (something still coming from the garden), and some beans and turkey, from the freezer.

I started with some chopped onion in a little oil on sauté mode, then added a tb of minced garlic, along with some sambar masala and vidaloo masala, to cook a minute, then turned it off, and added some water, to stop the cooking.

I then put about 2 qts of mizuna and komatsuna leaves in the VM, added 3 c water, and liquefied the mixture. I added this to the IP, then rinsed out the VM with 2 c water, and added that to the IP, along with 1 c rinsed toor dal. I brought it to a boil on sauté mode, and meanwhile, toasted 1/2 c hulled millet, and added that to the mix. I added salt to taste (about 1½ tsp, with more later), and set it to pressure cook 10 min. After this, the pressure released in 15 minutes, and I added 12 oz thawed long beans and 12 oz thawed, cooked turkey, and 1/4 c red lentils (to thicken it some), and let it cook on slow cook high, for about 25 minutes. Meanwhile, I made the tarka, to temper the dish at the end:

2 tb vegetable oil
1 1/2 tsp black mustard seed
1 tsp whole cumin seed
5 or 6 dry Thai peppers
about 12 fresh curry leaves
1/2 tsp asafoetida

I heated oil in a small saucepan over medium heat, until shimmering; added the mustard seed and covered with splatter screen. When mustard seed stopped popping, I added the peppers and cumin and cooked 10 or 15 seconds. Added the leaves and asafoetida, cooked about 10 seconds, then added this mix to the curry. I added a little more salt, stirred in about 4 tb chopped cilantro, and the dish was done. Served with some pickles on the side, in place of chutney.
ImageMustard greens sambar curry, before adding the beans and turkey. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinished mustard greens sambar curry. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

imafan26
Mod

Pepperhead, you inspired me. I made a kale and cannelloni bean soup today. Only, I am not a vegetarian so I added in some sausage and used pork and ham stock. I put bay leaves in and some pepper flakes and a packet of stevia for a little sweetness. It could have used some other herbs. I do have greek oregano, thyme, thai basil, mint, cilantro,rosemary, culantro, and Mexican tarragon. I just don't know what herbs would have gone with it. I ate it with some pickled onions I made. I used the lacinato kale I have growing in my garden. It is the best time to eat them. Kale and arugula are sweet when the leaves are young in the cooler months. They are very bitter in the heat of summer. Kale is a short lived perennial here and it will grow year round. I have Lacinato, curly vates, and Russian kale. I will get repeat harvest from them so they are very high yielding. I gave some of the older leaves to the worms.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I made a bean, ham and greens soup recently, and added a generous amount amount of sage, a little rosemary, and, of course, a bunch of garlic! The next thing I throw together will be a Thai dish - only because I had to trim back my Thai basil today, that was growing into the lights! Got over 2 c of leaves from it, which I have to use soon.

I'm not vegetarian either, but I use a lot of techniques they use, like the blending the greens up for liquid, and using legumes and whole grains together, for a nutritious dish.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

How many people like BEANS, eat BEANS, grow BEANS, cook BEANS? Wife grew up in Michigan people there don't eat beans. I grew up in Illinois & Arizona, people in ILL we ate Great Northern Beans & Pinto Beans & Kidney beans. When we moved to AZ mom learned NAVY BEANS taste several times better then Great Northern so she never cooked Great Northern beans ever again. Mom cooked Pinto Beans or Navy Beans with ham & corn bread for dinner often. I never liked Great Northern beans much & when mom started cooking Navy Beans no one in the family every wanted Great Northern beans ever again either. Mom told relative my aunts all started cooking Navy Beans too.

When I moved to TN I cooked mostly, Navy Beans, Dark Red Kidney beans & Pinto beans. TN restaurants all cook Great Northern Beans & BBQ Baked beans. Not many TN restaurants cooks Pinto beans, Navy beans or Kidney beans. We ate at Cracker Barrel restaurant once waiter said, Great Northern beans are very good. When I told waiter I don't eat Great Northern beans, NAVY BEANS taste several times better, she gave me a look like, your stupid.

TN Grocery store BEAN isles, 50% of ALL beans are BBQ BAKED BEANS, TN people love BBQ baked beans. BBQ Bakes Beans are made with NAVY BEANS not Great Northern beans. Navy beans are the smallest display on grocery store shelf they are often sold out. If Navy Beans are sold out that means someone likes them. When I find Navy Beans on the shelf I by 10 cans because they are hard to find. If people would taste Navy Beans cooked the same way as Great Northern Beans they will see they taste better.

When I was in grade school my uncle grew purple hull peas. They are many times better than black eye peas. My 80 year old cousin lives in Tulsa OK he buys purple hull peas at farmers market. WHY does no one sell purple hull peas in cans at the grocery store? I grew purple hull peas once they are too much work to hull the beans and not as good as Navy Beans so I don't grow them. History of Black eye peas says, plantation owners had slaves grow black eye peas to feed the animals. Slaves were hungry they learned how to cook black eye peas with ham bones to survive it was good and became more popular than Purple Hull Peas.

It is very interesting how certain foods are very popular in different geographical locations because of different soil and different weather conditions. Once peoples brain is programmed from birth that certain foods are good that is all they know & not many people try new foods. It is often not easy to learn how to cook different foods so they will taste good. Big factories sell BBQ Baked beans all over the USA I wonder how many people know they are eating Navy Beans. LOL

SHOW BOAT Pork & Beans in a can are also Navy Beans. SHOW BOAT brand are hard to find Kroger Grocery store is the only store in town that sells them. I bought 12 cans a few weeks ago.

I love it that Navy Bean farmers & BBQ Bake Bean factories have found a way to secretly make Navy Beans popular.
Last edited by Gary350 on Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:32 pm, edited 4 times in total.

applestar
Mod

You got me interested — According to wiki:
Navy bean cultivars include:

'Rainy River',[12]
'Robust', resistant to the bean common mosaic virus (BCMV),[13] which is transmitted through seeds[12]
Michelite, descended from 'Robust', but with higher yields and better seed quality[12]
Sanilac, the first bush navy bean cultivar[12] >>
...same article mentioned heirloom beans commonly called “Marrowfat” BEANS. I have seeds for “Marrowfat PEAS” which are true garden peas used as dried peas like split pea soup and imported by Japanese snack industry for their wasabi peas and caramel coated peas snacks.

Quick search results for Marrowfat Beans showed some heirloom seed sources that said “Sold out for 2020“ Maybe they will have some in stock for 2021 once they start selling.

— eta —
>> Interesting, Sanilac was developed by x-ray mutation of Michelite and further cultivation....

https://inis.iaea.org/collection/NCLCol ... 019690.pdf

THE ROLE OF INDUCED MUTATIONS IN THE IMPROVEMENT OF COMMON BEANS
(Phaseolus vulgaris L.)
An early bush type mutant of Phaseolus vulgaris L. was selected, already in 1940s, after x-ray treatment of the variety 'Michelite', a viny type small-seeded common bean [2, 3], The small, early bush type mutant developed at Michigan Agricultural Experiment Station was backcrossed to the parent Michelite and a large, early bush type was recovered. This type, and other bush type mutants of Michelite origin, were used in crosses with anthracnose resistant beans. After four generations of back-crosses and five generations of selections a large number of anthracnose resistant bush types were available and initially tested for their agronomic traits and canning quality in 1953. After a positive evaluation in multi- location trials, the variety 'Sanilac' was released in 1956.

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 11:47 am
>> Interesting, Sanilac was developed by x-ray mutation of Michelite and further cultivation....

https://inis.iaea.org/collection/NCLCol ... 019690.pdf

What's that then - a kind of GMO 'Heirloom' ?

applestar
Mod

It’s actually not GMO in the modern sense — they bombarded the Michelite with x-rays to induce mutation. (Reason enough to adjust/put your lead apron properly and not be cavalier about it when getting medical scans, I suppose?)

Plus they did go through the traditional back crossing and selecting for desired traits for several generations. NOW though, I suppose they *could* get the results after by gene manipulation.....

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 1:04 pm
It’s actually not GMO in the modern sense

Of course not, but it is a direct alteration of genetic material using 'man-made' technology - not at all 'natural.' ... but wait a minute; don't X-rays occur in nature? Shall I think of these X-rayed beans as GMO or not? The folks applying the radiation probably had no idea how the bean's DNA would be changed - not like modern geneticists' detailed & targeted meddling. So is this an Organic GMO (an OGMO, haha) since the results were random (natural?) and unpredictable?

I like to ponder how our attitudes are affected by the words and labels we use. I generally avoid foods that I know are genetically modified, but if something 'modified' has been in the food chain for decades without harm, why not embrace it?

Then again, I'm wary of newly modified products - and strongly opposed to the release of new life forms that can't be easily eliminated from the environment if they have undesirable effects.

Sorry for being a bit off topic; it's a kind of subject that I enjoy exploring, kicking around in my head.

imafan26
Mod

I have not tried the gamut of different beans you have. Mexican cuisine uses a lot of beans, but my experience is usually baked beans, and soup beans (kidney, pinto). Long beans because it is a tropical bean and easier to grow and used in many ethnic recipes. I have cow peas because I grow them as a cover crop, I have a couple of lbs of those beans. I have never eaten them. I like mung bean sprouts but not mung beans cooked. Azuki beans out of a can, is really a desert bean. Soy beans are snack beans, good just boiled and dusted with some garlic salt. I have grown some green beans, but I really don't like them very much. I don't like the "bean" taste. It is the reason that use almond milk instead of soy milk. I do like tofu. I probably am not making the best use of the garden beans I get because I don't really have any recipes I like that are made to feature them. They are more of an add in item and not the main attraction. I have to grow epazote to go with the beans.

People have some strong feelings about GMO. It is each persons choice what they want to put in their bodies. I don't have a problem with it. Most people who are anti GMO know nothing about it and what it was intended to do. GMO allowed for specific modifications to be made to develop desirable traits in the shortest time without manipulating too many other traits that would have been less desirable. Most of the GMO modifications to soy, wheat, corn, and canola was to make them round up ready so it would be easier for the farmers to manage weeds. Of course, mother nature does not like those kinds of tricks so some weeds are also round up ready. GMO papaya saved the Hawaiian papaya industry from ring spot virus. Many other countries around the globe that are producing papaya are doing the same to save their own livelihoods. The papaya taste is not affected and it does not cause genetic problems in humans. It does have other issues. The GMO papaya are perfectly able to cross with non-gmo papaya and pass on the ring spot virus resistant genes. Organic farmers need to rogue their fields of any papaya they did not plant themselves and use certified seeds. Organic farmers also have to deal with the fact that they could have huge economic losses if their fields are infected with ring spot virus. The virus is thought to be a virus of squash that jumped species (naturally). Squash was often a secondary crop grown in the papaya field to maximize the use of the land. Squash is a host that does not always express the virus. The virus is transmitted by white flies that can carry the virus for life. It has been around since the 60's and if there was any real problem with it causing mutations in humans, it would be apparent by now. I am still waiting for someone to come up with a downy mildew resistant sweet basil. Conventional breeding has only managed to get sweet basil that looks like sweet basil but tastes like Thai basil. Downy mildew resistance is intermediate for most resistant cultivars.

To answer a post from a long time ago. Pandan does not taste anything like vanilla. It is hard to compare. The easiest way I can explain it is if you eat plain rice and compare that to the taste of jasmine rice. Jasmine rice is made by basically locking the rice up in a sealed room with jasmine flowers thrown on top of it. The jasmine infuses the rice and gives it a nice flavor. Essentially, that is what pandan does, it infuses the rice or agar with a pleasant aroma. It is somewhat grassy, lightly floral, and subtly sweet. The taste is very mild and subtle. It is not strong like vanilla. I get pandan extract from the Asian market. There are a couple of them within 7 miles of me, so I don't have to go 23 miles to Chinatown. I can also make my own infusion, but I have fresh leaves so I don't bother. I do use the extract for the agar agar and deserts. Some of the deserts similar to almond floats already have the pandan extract in it. I am for less work anytime.

https://www.saveur.com/how-to-cook-with-pandan-recipes/

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I had to trim a bunch of Thai basil, because it was growing into the lights, so I made a red Thai curry today - it has several vegetables in it, but the main ingredient is shrimp, which I peel, and add to a bowl of the curry for about 4 minutes - this way, it doesn't overcook, when I re-heat it, since I'll just add the shrimp to each serving to cook.

Instead of all jasmine rice, I add 50% millet - it is much more nutritious, and it has little flavor (unless toasted), so the jasmine rice flavor shines through.

imafan26
Mod

I made curry for dinner the other night too. I made Keo's Massaman Beef curry. I had a sirloin steak which is tough as nails. But I found a way to tenderize it on the internet that was so simple. Just a teaspoon of baking soda in a lb of cross grained thin sliced beef marinated for about 20-30 minutes. Massaman curry has muslim origins so it does not use basil. I used red curry paste ( I have a container of it in the fridge), sirloin, onion, ginger (from my yard), three super chilies (from the yard), and potatoes, simmered in coconut milk for 45 minutes. Served over short grain rice.
I could have marinated the meat for 20 minutes instead. It was too velveted.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I made some tacos tonight, starting out with some black bean chili, prepared in the IP, adding some cooked, ground venison, that I had made into chorizo, after the beans finished. I simmered it a little longer, with some salsa negra, then I served them with some rinsed chopped onion, shredded queso panela, crema, and torn leaf lettuce, in some corn tortillas.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Today I made cinnamon rolls from recipe on bread flour package. After mixing, knead dough & let dough rise 90 minutes, roll out flat, cover with butter, cinnamon, dark brown sugar, roll it up. Shape dough to be 22½" long to cut 15 rolls each 1½" long each. Let rolls rise on pan 90 minutes then bake 350° 20 min then 400° a few minutes to make rolls brown. Pour on the glaze while rolls are hot so glaze melts down over the rolls. Great with hot chocolate or coffee.
Attachments
100_8865.JPG
100_8864.JPG
100_8863.JPG
100_8862.JPG
100_8861.JPG

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

A quiet at-home Covid Christmas Dinner:

Chicken oven-roasted with herbed butter under the skin and lemon in the carcass
Gravy from the scrapings of the roasting pan.
Par-boiled potatoes seasoned with rosemary & garlic then squashed & roasted till crunchy
Baby Brussels sprouts (a deer got the big ones) simmered in chicken broth with bacon bits & sauteed shallots
Gingered buttery garden peas
A nice full bodied red wine.
Yum.

Xmas dinner candles.jpg
- All by candle light.
Was to be followed by plum pudding & hard sauce but we couldn't face it. Maybe tonight. :)

Meantime:
'Every year I dream it, hoping things will change,
An end to the crying, the shouting, the dying,
And I hope you will dream it too!
It's Christmas, Remember? We've got to remember!
To help us to dream our Christmas dream'

- Andrew Lloyd Weber / Tim Rice.

(Perry Como's OK but I like the Mistletones' upbeat version):
https://tinyurl.com/y86sdtem

imafan26
Mod

I love your table setting. It makes a difference to add the special touches, making even a simple meal special.

I did not do anything really special. I just had some things that I don't get to eat a lot. I got some Chinese roast duck and char siu a couple of days ago. I had bok choy and cucumbers in the yard and cilantro in the frig. It has been raining for a couple of days and it is still drizzling now with a cold rain. Good soup weather. I made ramen noodles but added the char siu, duck, a little bit of soy sauce for color and oyster sauce ( I like it better than soy sauce). I picked a bok choy and a couple of green onion leaves from the garden and cooked it all together in one pot for lunch. Topped with cilantro. Actually, the one thing I really don't eat is the broth. It is too salty. I did not have a big enough saimin bowl so I used a plain plastic container (no ambience at all). I used a fork although I do have chopsticks and Japanese soup spoons. I am going to have the cucumber today.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Here's that soup I made, with the bacon. I had a pound of mushrooms I needed to use, so I made some mushroom barley soup. The cream color in it was the half cup or so of crema I had in the jar, and I wanted to make another pint of it, so I just emptied the jar! It actually added a really good flavor, that I don't usually put in it.

I went out to get a couple of leeks from the garden, and the top 3/4 or so of ground was frozen!
ImageBacon mushroom barley soup. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

applestar
Mod

That looks super yummy @pepperhead :D

...but what is crema in a jar? Only “crema” I can think of is espresso foam......

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

applestar post_id=437154 time=1609437557 user_id=11125]
That looks super yummy @pepperhead :D

...but what is crema in a jar? Only “crema” I can think of is espresso foam......
Probably a mistype - or maybe itsa creama, with an Italian accent? :)

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”