Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Re: Let's talk recipes -- are you as random as I am?

We did not have turkey for Thanksgiving and will not have turkey for Christmas either. Wife cooked a whole chicken in the crock pot until meat fell off the bone. Remove, bones, fat, skin. Add 2 lbs of sliced carrots, onion, garlic, 1 sliced potato, rice, beans, broccoli, salt, pepper. Best chicken vegetable soup on a very long time.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Tonight I made this Indian dish, to use up a bunch of that extra dill I trimmed a couple of nights ago. I have never seen recipes this size that used this much dill! It was really good, and it's only 2 servings, so there's a lot per serving. I saw several recipes, and one had 250 g, the other even more - 4-5 packed cups of leaves! I used the parts I liked from both recipes - one had some onion and tomatoes, the other had some usual tarka recipes, so I made sort of a hybrid. The tarka gave it the usual delicious flavor, plus the fried dal gave it a crunch. I made a type of multi-grain roti, with some ground up brown basmati and spelt, for some of the flours, plus some jowar and besan. Plus some garlic chives and cilantro, chopped up.

Shepu Bheji

1/2 c moong dal, soaked at least 30 min, then drained
250 g dill leaves, large stems removed, then chopped, rinsed, and drained
2 tb oil
1/2 tsp black mustard seed
1/2 tsp cumin seed
1 tb channa dal
1 tsp urad dal
2-3 cloves garlic, minced with 2-3 Thai chilis
1 sprig curry leaves, stripped from the stem
1/8 tsp asafoetida
1 medium onion, chopped
1 medium tomato, chopped
1/4 tsp turmeric
Salt to taste, about 1/2 tsp for me

A. Heat oil in a wok over medium heat, and add the mustard seed, cumin, and channa and urad dals, and swirl and stir until it begins to turn gold. Add garlic, chilies, asafoetida, and curry leaves, and stir about 30 sec. Add onions, mix well, and cook about 3-4 min, until translucent. Add tomatoes and turmeric and cook about 7-8 minutes, or until the oil begins to separate some.

B. Add the drained dal, mix well, and reduce heat to med-low. Cover and cook 2 minutes. Mix in the drained dill, cover, and cook another 3 minutes. Serve with some chapati or roti on the side.
Image250 g dill leaves, for the Shepu Bheji by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageIngredients for Shepu Bheji, lined up for cooking. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFirst ingredients starting to cook for the Shepu Bheji. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageUp to adding the garlic for the Shepu Bheji. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinishing off the tomatoes, for the Shepu Bheji. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFirst step of cooking the moong dal finished. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageDill added to the Shepu Bheji. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageShepu Bheji finished cooking. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageShepu Bheji, served with a multi-grain roti. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here's the multi-grain roti I made. It was just about a third of a cup of brown basmati rice, ground to about a half cup of flour, plus a half cup of jowar, and a quarter cup of spelt flour, plus some chopped garlic chives and cilantro. A half tsp of kashmiri pepper, and a tsp of salt, plus a generous 1/3 c water. This was mixed up, rested, then made into 5 roti, flattened in a tortilla press, then cooked in a cast iron skillet.
ImageWhole-grain roti, just starting to cook. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinished whole-grain roti by pepperhead212, on Flickr

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Some friends got a deer yesterday, and gave me a good amount of it again, and cleaned it last night, then cooked the liver this morning, making my usual chipotle sauce, that I originally cooked chicken livers in, and later, beef and pork livers, as well. I cooked it under pressure for 5 minutes, releasing after 10 minutes, and the small piece I tried was tough, which I expected, but also a lot of liquid cooked out. I didn't want to waste it, and there was not enough liver for the amount of sauce, so I cooked about 12 oz of ground venison, to mix with it, and it turned out great.

The sauce, after I fried it, and thickened it greatly, I mixed with the liver and liquid, then added it to the browned meat in the Instant Pot. Then I cooked it on slow cook high, for 3 1/2 hours, stirring occasionally, and it thickened nicely, plus tenderized the liver. I took it back over to my friend's house, plus some corn tortillas, which I heated on the open flame on my range (my favorite way of doing this, since it blackens them some), and we finished off all 20 of them! The son (this was his first muzzle loader deer, and he was thrilled about it!) cooked some of the deer in a slow cooker with some seasonings, to make some "pulled venison", but we had to just eat a little of it - the tacos and some veggies totally filled us up. Tomorrow, we'll try some more - I'll have to take even more tortillas!
ImageChipotle sauce started - the can of tomatoes, blended with garlic cloves, moritas, canned chipotles, then added to the the pan of browned onions. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageThe chipotle sauce, fried just over 9 minutes, with 2 tb salsa negra added, for more flavor. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageCleaned venison liver, cooked in IP for 5 minutes, pressure released after 10 minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageVenison liver, plus 12 oz ground venison, browned, and mixed with the liver and chipotle sauce, cooked 3 1/2 hrs, on slow cook high. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The father liked the chipotle sauce so much that he told me I'd have to teach him to do it. After I rattled off the recipe, and method to him, he went "Hmmmmm...I think I'll let you keep doing it." :lol:

Vanisle_BC
Greener Thumb

I'm sure I've mentioned it before but tonight we had "Grenadin du Porc au Beurre la Fin du Monde" which we just call 'Pork Chops Stanley Park' because we got the recipe from the quirky novel 'Stanley Park.' If you've been to Vancouvcer, B.C. the story will have special relevance but otherwise it's still an interesting tale.

" When the pan was hot he added a knob of butter and some oil from a plastic, red-nozzled bottle, let it heat through and foam while he vigorously salted and peppered the chop. He dusted it with flour, then gripped the protruding bone with tongs and pressed it down into the foaming fat. When it was browned on both sides, he tested its firmness with his thumb, pushing gently on the flank of the hot chop, pulled it out and onto a small plate that he slid into a low oven. A few onions went in to the pan, a grind more pepper, chanterelles and shiitakes sliced thin, some minced parlsey. He tossed the mixture, letting it slide ot the far edge o the pan, pulling it back and up towards him, which made it break loose from the slick surface and turn over before landing. He let it cook through, whistling with the music–they had segued from Tom Waits to Tom Jones. When the mushrooms were starting to brown, he added a bit of garlic and the beer, swirling the contents of the pan to mix them while they boiled. A knob of butter to thicken the sauce. A new dry side-towel before grabbing the chops out of the oven. Back they went into the sauce, half covered and slid just slightly off the flame.

He chose new potatoes for her, much better with the beer. He laid down a bed of the browned mushrooms in their sauce, nestled the chop on top, triangulated with three of the waxy yellow potatoes, sprayed the plate with more parsley and carried it out himself.

“Grenadin de porc au beurre La Fin du Monde,” he said, sliding it on to the table in front of her.
"

Note: there should be cream added along with the beer but somehow it got lost in the narrative - SERIOUS omission!

At the time I read this, I’d never had La Fin du Monde, so I sought it out, and it has become my all-time favorite beer. Whether that’s because of its innate goodness or because it whisks me away to Jeremy’s kitchen for a few minutes, I couldn’t say.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

This wasn't dinner today, but something I made to take to some friend's house tomorrow, using 2 lbs of that venison they gave me. I made this when it first came out in Cooks Illustrated, Mar/Apr 21, and they loved it, so I doubled this batch. I only took one bite of it, tasting for salt...you wouldn't believe how difficult that is, with all this aroma!
ImageIngredients for the venison keema, except for the meat. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageWhole spices for the keema, frying briefly in oil. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageOnions added to the spice oil, and cooked about 10 minutes to brown some. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageVenison added to the onions, ready to brown the meat. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageGround spices, added to the browned meat. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageTomatoes added to the browned meat, ready to add the yogurt. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageKeema, with tomatoes, yogurt, and salt stirred in, ready to simmer 18 minutes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinished venison keema. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I texted the son this photo, and he said he'd be making some Indian flatbread, and something else to have with it, but he's not sure what.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Vanisle_BC wrote:
Sun Dec 12, 2021 10:39 pm
I'm sure I've mentioned it before but tonight we had "Grenadin du Porc au Beurre la Fin du Monde" which we just call 'Pork Chops Stanley Park' because we got the recipe from the quirky novel 'Stanley Park.' If you've been to Vancouvcer, B.C. the story will have special relevance but otherwise it's still an interesting tale.

" When the pan was hot he added a knob of butter and some oil from a plastic, red-nozzled bottle, let it heat through and foam while he vigorously salted and peppered the chop. He dusted it with flour, then gripped the protruding bone with tongs and pressed it down into the foaming fat. When it was browned on both sides, he tested its firmness with his thumb, pushing gently on the flank of the hot chop, pulled it out and onto a small plate that he slid into a low oven. A few onions went in to the pan, a grind more pepper, chanterelles and shiitakes sliced thin, some minced parlsey. He tossed the mixture, letting it slide ot the far edge o the pan, pulling it back and up towards him, which made it break loose from the slick surface and turn over before landing. He let it cook through, whistling with the music–they had segued from Tom Waits to Tom Jones. When the mushrooms were starting to brown, he added a bit of garlic and the beer, swirling the contents of the pan to mix them while they boiled. A knob of butter to thicken the sauce. A new dry side-towel before grabbing the chops out of the oven. Back they went into the sauce, half covered and slid just slightly off the flame.

He chose new potatoes for her, much better with the beer. He laid down a bed of the browned mushrooms in their sauce, nestled the chop on top, triangulated with three of the waxy yellow potatoes, sprayed the plate with more parsley and carried it out himself.

“Grenadin de porc au beurre La Fin du Monde,” he said, sliding it on to the table in front of her.
"

Note: there should be cream added along with the beer but somehow it got lost in the narrative - SERIOUS omission!

At the time I read this, I’d never had La Fin du Monde, so I sought it out, and it has become my all-time favorite beer. Whether that’s because of its innate goodness or because it whisks me away to Jeremy’s kitchen for a few minutes, I couldn’t say.
That is FUNNY, which we just call 'Pork Chops, Stanley Park' .

I love pork chops with bone fried golden brown on both sides, bone adds extra flavor. In TN chops with bone is called, country cut pork chops. Pork chops with bone is almost impossible to find these days. One mom & pop grocery store in town sells pork chops with bone but it is 14 mile drive to get there. I hate 1" thick fatty pork chops with NO bone it tastes like fried fat. Wife has learned to cook 1" thick fatty chops in the crock pot a few hours it cooks away the fat, meat thickness is reduced about 40% .

imafan26
Mod

It sounds great. I agree bone in pork tastes much better. I usually get the boneless loin chops from Costco. I like the thicker chops because the bone in ones are so thin that it is hard not to cook them dry and tough. The thicker loin chop is easier to cook and keep it moist inside and still get a nice sear on the outside. I also use the loin chops like pork butt and cut them into pieces or strips for stews and stir fries.

imafan26
Mod

I made fried rice. The good thing about fried rice is that almost anything goes. I was going to make a lup cheong fried rice, but that is not what fell out of the freezer.

I ended up with chopped ham, Chinese roast pork, surimi, a couple of the roasted peppers I made earlier, onion, celery, eggs ( I made an omelette and cut it into strips), frozen peas, and green onions from the garden. I use oyster sauce since I like it better than soy sauce for seasoning. It took me awhile to make it because I made the rice at 6 a.m., but I forgot to turn on the rice cooker. So, I only had fresh rice and not enough day old rice. I didn't finish it until 1 p.m. Talk about slow cooking.

Well, I don't know how to make small batches and I don't like Filipino fried rice, although it is good and simple (rice, oil, garlic, salt). When I make fried rice it is a whole meal and it will last a few days. I did put some of the low sugar, low sodium ketchup in the fried rice. That was a mistake. It made the rice sour. I guess, I can only do that with regular ketchup.

On a different subject. My sister came over to get some cucumbers to make pickles (namasu). She said she couldn't find cucumbers at the store. She offered me some ripe Meyer lemons so I can make lemon meringue pies again for Christmas. Christmas is only two weeks away and New Year, three weeks away. Anyway, her lemon is too ripe. I would have to juice it and put it in my tea. I guess she is just hinting at what she wants me to make for Christmas. Well,at least I have just finished eating my nishime I made for the New Year. I made it early since I did anticipate, finding ingredients for that to be problematic. As it was, I had to go to two stores to find daikon. I am glad I have things in the garden and I can forage in my pantry and freezer and put stuff together. Even if it comes out differently from what I planned. I have to find that lup cheong though, I'm still craving it.

imafan26
Mod

Today I made a chicken and vegetable casserole. I used some frozen vegetables (California blend- broccoli, cauliflower, carrots (mostly carrots)), mushrooms, zucchini, orange bell pepper. I am on a low carb diet so I have to get creative.

I fried chicken thighs with the skin on in a little bit of oil. Not deep fry. I did not bread the chicken because, flour is carbs. I just did not want to put raw chicken in the casserole so I just browned it. Since, I can't use a lot of salt either, I seasoned with nu salt (potassium chloride), and a lot of Mrs Dash and a lot of pepper. I put the 10 oz frozen vegetables in the bottom of a 9x13 inch pan, cut up 1.5 zucchini into rounds, an orange bell pepper, and mushrooms that have been sitting in the frig.

Put more pepper and Mrs. Dash on the vegetables and mixed it up in the pan. Then topped it with the chicken. Added a can of cream of chicken soup, and a can of water. (Milk has too many carbs and would cause issues when reheated.
Baked it covered for 45 minutes at 350 degrees. I came out nice. I had too many things in the pan, plus all the water that came out of the vegetables. I really did not get a very creamy gravy. I can hardly even tell there was any soup at all. Less stuff in the pan and another can of soup and no extra water next time. I could use milk, but it has too many carbs. I could have used other milk substitutes but then it might break if it gets reheated. I could have done tomatoes instead and tomato sauce, that might have worked better. It still tastes fine to me. I put a lot of pepper in the dish, I really taste that. I don't taste the salt much, but as long as I have pepper and herbs I don't mind it much. 1 serving = 344 gms. Calories 314 Carbs 13g, Fiber 3g, net carbs 10. Fat 18.5 g, Protein 24 g For the serving size it is not bad. It is a lot of carbs, but I am on a diet break now, so I can go up to 50 carbs. I still ended 400 calories short of the maintenance. By the time I figure out what I can eat, my break will be over and I have to restricts carbs again.

applestar
Mod

I’m playing “catch-up” (that’s another kind of alternative ketchup, @imafan :> ) in this thread —

All I can say right now is to @Vanisle_BC, that I’m wondering if he got the tunes and ”thyming” to “whistling with the music–they had segued from Tom Waits to Tom Jones” perfected for making “Pork Chops, Stanley Park”? That sounds like a critical ingredient and step :wink:

… I think we talked about this before, but I used to love finding that kind of detailed cooking recipes as part of the narrative in novels … I should re-organize my bookshelves and go find them all and group them in a special sub-category. :idea: :idea:)

applestar
Mod

Finally found an easy from-scratch chocolate pudding recipe that I can use as foundation and tinker — I made some using rice milk and rice starch and added leftover cooked brown rice I made yesterday with dehydrated cherries, pepitos, and black sesame seeds … and subbed Kahlua for vanilla essence.

Waiting for the pudding to chill, but licking the spoon, I think I might add MORE Kahlua next time …. :>

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

OK...I must be missing something...where's the chocolate???

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Chocolate Mousse in 10 minutes.

3/4 cup of mini marshmallows
1/4 cup real butter
1 cup unsweet baking chocolate.

Microwave or cook in a water bath double boiler stir until creamy pour into bowls. Top with whip cream.
Attachments
z-mousse.jpg

applestar
Mod

Hahaha — did I forget to mention? — I used baking cocoa powder.

The basic mix is 1:1(:1)confectioner’s sugar (or granulated sugar ground into powder) : starch (: cocoa) and salt (I used himalayan pink salt) then 3x as much vanilla extract for vanilla pudding.

Use 3/4 cup of the mix per 2 cups milk of any kind, 2Tbs vanilla or 2 tsp vanilla.

…originally, the reason I wanted a vanilla pudding recipe was to try making an easy Bavarian cream recipe — just whip the vanilla pudding mix with whipping cream. I have to get some heavy cream to try this now.

imafan26
Mod

I can only dream of such decadence.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

This afternoon I made another one of those tacos with the shrimp in chipotle sauce, just as a snack, while I started getting the other ingredients together. I put together a fairly easy Indian dish (I already had the masala made, which is what would have taken longer), using 12 oz of some mizuna I just harvested yesterday. The original recipe called for half mustard greens and half spinach, but this is a mild mustard green. It is a Hyderabad version, which I used a cup of red chori beans for, and 1/3 c sorghum berries - I used these since they pressure cook in about the same time. While they cooked in the IP, and the pressure released naturally, I cooked the spices in some ghee, along with some tomato paste, and chopped up all that mizuna. This, and the spiced ghee, were stirred into the beans, along with the masala, and simmered about 10 minutes.
ImageRed chori beans, with sorghum berries and mustard greens. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

This is definitely one of those random dishes I made today. I made a soup in the Instant Pot today - a Bacon, lentil, barley, mushroom, and butternut soup. I used the bacon only because it was the oldest meat in the freezer, and the only mushrooms were the dried boletus and some frozen duxelles, plus a small butternut squash. And a new ingredient this winter from hydro - cutting celery, or leaf celery.
ImageCutting celery, from hydroponics, 1-8. About 18 inches long. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

The darkness of the soup is from the fond of the bacon browning, plus the soaking water from the boletus, which is very dark. The bacon was labeled "ends", and was not very fatty at all. I added some olive oil, to cook the onions and celery stems, then added about 1 tb minced garlic, plus a generous tb of gochugang, to cook for a minute, Then I added the chopped boletus, and the liquid, plus about 1/3 c duxelles. Then I rinsed a half cup each of pearl barley and Puy lentils, and added those, plus some chicken broth, put the lid on the IP, and set it for 15 min, then let it release naturally. Then I removed the lid, tasted for seasonings (nothing at all added), and added the 3 c of diced butternut, plus about 1/4 c masoor dal, to thicken it some. I set it for 3 minutes, then let it release 10 minutes, then released the pressure. Turned out great!
ImageMushroom, lentil, barley, bacon, and butternut soup. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

webmaster
Site Admin

That's pretty creative to put all those ingredients together and have them come out tasting fine. Did you anticipate the flavor of the soup or were you not sure what to expect?

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

webmaster I pretty much knew what I would get with that, as I have made similar soups before, except for the butternut squash, which wasn't a strong flavor. Using those dried boletus gives a smoky flavor to the soup, probably more than the bacon does, and I use that all the time in these types of things. The cutting celery gave it a really good flavor - celery is often an ingredient in these soups, but I don't always have it on hand.

imafan26
Mod

Very creative. I grow cutting celery too. It has a stronger flavor and a bite if you eat it raw, but it is a good celery substitute as part of the mirepoix seasonings. Store bought celery usually is limp before I get to the end of it.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

No Cook Chili.

1 lb of left over meat from refrigerator, pork, chicken, beef, what ever you have, diced.
1 can Dark Red Kidney beans
2 can Baked Beans with brown sugar.
1 can Ro-Tel with green chilies & cilantro
1 quart of tomatoes
1 Red Onion, large, diced
5 Garlic cloves, large, diced
3 large celery stalks, diced
3 tablespoon Louisiana Hot sauce
Salt & black pepper to taste.
Stir well, warm up to about 120°F

This recipe is a first time for us. Wow I love the crunchy raw vegetables lots of flavor that cooking usually changes.

Wife found & opened cans from pantry & poured them in a pot while I diced, onion, celery, garlic. We had dinner made in 15 minutes. It took 4 minutes to warm it up. This is so good I ate 3 bowls.
Attachments
100_3453.JPG

imafan26
Mod

Looks good. I am trying a pantry challenge this month. I am trying to make meals using whatever I have in the pantry, garden, and freezer. I still have to buy some staples like milk, eggs, fresh vegetables I don't grow or have enough of ( mushrooms, onions, lettuce, avocado, celery) that don't keep a whole month.

Your recipe is inspiring. I have beans and I need to find ways to repurpose leftovers.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Corn, Beans & Ham.

This is a very easy dinner to cook, it doesn't get much easier than this. Lunch & dinner for a week.

I bought a 10 lb old fashion ham with bone for $17. This is NOT sugar cure or honey cure ham.

About 7 pm cut off excess unwanted fat. Cut off about 1/3 of the ham to save, freeze it to eat later in zip lock bags. Put the ham & bone in a large slow cooker pot with 1 quart of water to cook all night. Also put 1/2 a bag of 30 bean soup package in warm water to soak all night. DO NOT ADD SALT other wise beans will be tough.

Next morning remove ham from cook pot. Remove ham from bone. Crumble ham into smaller pieces. Put ham & bone back into slow cooker pot. Rinse beans then put beans in show cooker pot too. Cook until about 1 pm. DO NOT ADD SALT other wise beans will be tough.

Follow recipe on bean package. Add 1 quart of tomatoes, 1 large onion diced, 5 garlic diced cook until 4 pm. DO NOT ADD SALT other wise beans will be tough.

About 5 pm remove bone from pot then add 20 ounce of frozen garden corn, mix well with beans. Cold corn will cool beans enough you can eat dinner and not burn your tongue. Now you can add salt but taste it first.

This is dinner, corn, beans & ham. Sometimes we have cornbread or hard white bread with this.

We had enough left over to fill 9 two serving size containers to freeze and eat later, lunch or dinner 9 more times. Don't forget frozen ham in zip lock about 5 more lunches or dinners. Random lunch & dinner for a month or 2.
Attachments
100_3456.JPG
100_3458.JPG
100_3457.JPG

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

A couple of days ago, I got a venison shoulder from a friend, and rubbed it down with garlic, rosemary, and salt, and put it in a Foodsaver bag, and let it marinate 6 hours, before setting it in my sous vide for 12 hours at 135°, before smoking it for 4 hours. I took it to my friend's house yesterday, and everyone loved it, though it could have stayed in there longer - some sites had it being in the sous vide for 24 hours, so I'll try that next time. The very center, while it was fairly tender, it could have used more cooking, or cut thinner.
ImageVenison shoulder, marinating overnight, to cook in this sous vide tomorrow. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageVenison shoulder, after 12 hours on 135 degrees. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageSomething to smoke the venison with this time. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageSmoking the venison. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageSmoked venison shoulder, after 12 hours sous vide. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Tonight, I made a soup, using some of that smoked venison, and 3 types of lentils, plus adding about 3 c finely chopped mizuna. I pressure cooked the meat and the lentils first, along with the seasonings, for 13 minutes, then let it release naturally. Then added the mizuna, cooked for 2 minutes, releasing it naturally, then served with a couple of corn tortillas.
ImageAdding about 3 c of chopped mizuna to the chili type dish I'm making, with some of that smoked venison. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageSome lentil soup, with some smoked venison and some mizuna added. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Today, I made a Kerala style sambala, with 4 different vegetables in it, plus some coconut - what makes it Kerala style. It's not a one dish meal, since the seasonings for the masala paste are toasted in a skillet. Since I didn't have fresh coconut, I used dried, unsweetened, reconstituted some, in hot water. So that was my first step - rehydrating 1/3 c dried coconut in 1/2 c hot water, then 1 oz dried eggplant (about 3/4 lb before drying) in hot water.

Meanwhile, the dal gets pre-cooked. Wash
3/4 c toor dal, and place in the IP with 2 c water, 3/4 tsp turmeric powder and 1/2 tsp asafoetida. Set to pressure cook for 10 minutes, release naturally, then mash the dal, after cooled some.

Sambar Masala Paste

Combine in about a 10" skillet:

2 tsp coconut oil
5 Kashmiri peppers, broken up some
2 Thai peppers, broken up some (or 2 more Kashmiri, for less heat)
2 1/2 tb coriander seed
1/4 tsp cumin seed
1/4 tsp fenugreek
1/2 tb channa dal
20 black peppercorns
10-12 curry leaves
4 tb chopped shallots
soaked coconut, strained and squeezed dry (save water)

Melt the coconut oil in the skillet over very low heat - I do this over a pilot light, while measuring this stuff out. Put the dry ingredients and curry leaves in the skillet, and toss to coat with the oil, then add the shallots and coconut. Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, for 6-7 minutes, or until leaves, peppers, and coconut starts getting a little browned. Remove to a plate to cool. Grind to a paste with about 1/2 c water (I added a little more).
ImageIngredients for the sambar masala paste, toasted. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageSambar masala paste. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Any vegetables can be used, within reason! This time, I used some potatoes and a sweet potato, peeled and diced, a small butternut, a couple frozen tomatoes, and some dried eggplant. Here I put about 6 cups of those cubed up vegetables in the dal, plus 3 c water, about 1½ tsp salt then set for 6 minutes, and let the pressure release naturally.
ImagePotatoes, sweet potatoes, butternut, eggplant, and tomatoes, ready to cook with the pre-cooked dal, for the sambar. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Here, I stirred in the masala paste, and 1 1/2 tb tamarind concentrate, and let it simmer for several minutes.
ImageSambar, after cooking the masala paste several minutes, before adding the tarka. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Last, a simple tarka - 1 tb coconut oil, 3/4 tsp black mustard seed, and 6 curry leaves, cooked until sputtering. Stir in, and serve.
ImageSimple tarka for the sambar - some mustard seed and curry leaves, cooked in coconut oil.. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageKerala style sambar, with potato, sweet potato, butternut, and eggplant. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I was going to make some quick (non-fermented) idli to eat with it, but it got too late - maybe tomorrow, when I share it with some friends.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Sunday I stirred some frozen green beans into the leftover sambar, and had a bowl of it that I reheated. But I also tried something that I haven't made before - some idli, but these I made with some more nutritious ingredients, and no white rice. I soaked a half cup of mung beans in hot water (I actually brought it to a boil, in the MW, when it didn't seem to be softening), and made a half cup of coarse oat flour, by blending it until there were no large chunks. I also took a large handful of mizuna and steamed it in the MW - my replacement for the half cup of cooked spinach. Then this was blended with 3/4 c water, the soft beans, and a little salt, and blended until totally smooth. I whisked in the oat flour, and a couple tb of yogurt, and let it rest an hour. I took a little and stirred in a pinch each of citric acid and baking soda, and steamed one for me, to eat with the sambar, and it was good, so I stirred in a half tsp each of the citric acid and baking soda, and steamed the rest of them. I used some ramekins - I don't have any idli molds. Yesterday I reheated them in the WM, and the sambar, in the Instant Pot, when my friends came over, plus I made a coconut chutney, to serve with them. Here's the chutney recipe I used, with some additions.
https://www.seriouseats.com/coconut-chutney-recipe

Here's the idlis I made:
ImageSteamed mustard greens, and soaked mung beans, to be ground for idli. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageTotally ground up mung beans and greans. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageThe coarse oat flour, and the yogurt, added to the ground beans and greans. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageIdli batter, whisked together, and ready to sit for an hour. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageIdli batter in ramekins, getting ready to steam in the IP. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinished idli, after 12 minutes of steaming in ramekins. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageFinished idli, firm, but jiggly still. Should re-heat well. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Tonight, I had another brawnshweiger sandwich on that rye bread, and as the salad, I made something with the last two, small heads of cabbage I harvested a few weeks ago. Had some bad spots I had to trim out, but still got over 6 c of shreds. I made some of this sauce I use for a favorite Asian slaw, that is lime juice based, with some Thai curry paste added, that I make with napa usually, and usually when I have chives or garlic chives, but it's too cold now! So I stole a trick from some Mexican dishes, in which I pickle some onions for a few hours, which gets rid of the raw taste. Some shredded carrots, sesame seeds, cilantro, chopped peanuts, and some black quinoa are also added. Tomorrow, I'll see if Aldi's has any good bell peppers - something in the original recipe, but I am out of, though it's still delicious.
ImageDressing for the gingered Asian slaw. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageAsian slaw, before adding the dressing. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Great soup weather! I made my soup today, starting last night, by soaking some beans. I usually don't soak, but I was using some old batches - about 6 oz each of red beans and black eyed peas (the old ones), to empty out the jars. Then I put about 6 oz of Navy beans, and set them to soak. This afternoon I drained them, then put them in the IP, covered with water, and pressure cooked just 1 minute, then let the pressure release naturally, while getting the ham, onions, and everything else prepped. First, I cooked the 24 oz of diced ham in my largest cast iron Dutch oven, and got a great amount of fond. The ham was removed, and onion and carrots added, and cooked about 10 min (this is one of those smells I love having in my house!), then added the garlic, rosemary, sage, and a couple tb of tomato paste, and cooked about 2 min., then added water, to dissolve the fond.

Then I drained and rinsed the beans, returned to the Instant Pot, added about 1/3 of the ham, and the Dutch oven liquid, plus a little more water, and some salt. Brought to a boil, then put in slow cook mode, and set to cook.

This was my lucky day! About the time I was finishing this, my doorbell rang, and it was a couple of young kids, offering to clear my snow! I was shocked, this happened long ago, but not in recent years - most kids are just lazy! This is why I set the soup in the slow cook - I was going to have to go out and do this.

After 2 hours cooking, I checked the soup, and added about 3/4 c red lentils, to thicken it some, which works great, plus the rest of the ham. Also, it needed more smoke flavor, and as I was standing there thinking this, I saw my jar of chipotle flakes sitting there, and the light went off! So I put about 2 tsp of them in there, and after another hour, it was just the right thickness, and flavor. I also made a few corn muffins, to eat with it - just a half recipe.
Image4 bean soup, with ham and a couple of potatoes in it. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageCorn muffins - should have made 5, so they would have been a little larger. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

applestar
Mod

Winter is a fun time for cooking/baking experiments. :D

@pepperhead’s post reminded me I made cornbread the other day. I adapted from recipe on Bob’s Red Mill cornmeal package, tweaked for more cake-like with adding cake flour and the egg prep, and then added frozen sweet corn and canned chickpeas. The corn was a hit, but my DD complained about the texture of the chickpeas — I thought they added interesting flavor surprise and tasted good so maybe I can “sneak” it in there next time by mashing them first or something….

Cornbread
44EFC409-3F5B-4DCD-B2AF-F6E0ECCD89E0.jpeg
1/25/22
~ based on recipe on Bob’s Red Mill organic cornmeal bag

* 1 cup cornmeal
* Sub buttermilk with approx 2/3 C. organic greek yogurt mixed with hot water and 1/3 rice milk
* 1Tbs honey
* 1/4 cup frozen yellow sweet corn
* approx 1/2 cup total canned chickpeas and aquafava
blend and let rest

While unsalted butter is melting, whisk together
* 1/2 cup King Arthur cake flour
* 1/2 cup all purpose flour
* cane sugar - 1 Tbs
* baking powder, soda and sea salt
* 1/4 cup frozen yellow sweet corn

* separate 2 eggs — yolks in 8 oz blue pyrex, whites in 2 cup measuring cup
* whisk whites in measuring cup until soft peaks, then whisk yolks in blue bowl until pale ribbons

* drizzle hot melted browned butter into flour mixture and silicone spatula until crumbly

Add cornmeal mixture, then thoroughly mix in beaten yolks, lightly mashing the chickpeas

Fold in whites scraping sides and bottoms for lumps and pockets of flour and cornmeal

Pour into tiger nut oil brushed square metal pan lined with 2 layers of parchment

Bake on higher rack position for 15 minutes, then lower to med-low “bake” position for 10 minutes

Remove from pan onto aluminum foil and allow to cool in open oven

Cut into 16 triangle pieces

——

I didn’t take a pic, but I made airfried apple donuts yesterday, adapting from two donut recipes — one for air fried donuts using a stand alone air fryer and one for oil deep fried apple donuts.

I had to experiment with temp and duration in my brevill multifunction toaster oven, but I think I finally got it. They were a hit with DD’s after they had worked so hard to shovel the driveway of our 9 inch snow storm. :-()

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

pepperhead212 wrote:
Sat Jan 29, 2022 11:54 pm
Great soup weather! I made my soup today, starting last night, by soaking some beans. I usually don't soak, but I was using some old batches - about 6 oz each of red beans and black eyed peas (the old ones), to empty out the jars. Then I put about 6 oz of Navy beans, and set them to soak. This afternoon I drained them, then put them in the IP, covered with water, and pressure cooked just 1 minute, then let the pressure release naturally, while getting the ham, onions, and everything else prepped. First, I cooked the 24 oz of diced ham in my largest cast iron Dutch oven, and got a great amount of fond. The ham was removed, and onion and carrots added, and cooked about 10 min (this is one of those smells I love having in my house!), then added the garlic, rosemary, sage, and a couple tb of tomato paste, and cooked about 2 min., then added water, to dissolve the fond.

Then I drained and rinsed the beans, returned to the Instant Pot, added about 1/3 of the ham, and the Dutch oven liquid, plus a little more water, and some salt. Brought to a boil, then put in slow cook mode, and set to cook.

This was my lucky day! About the time I was finishing this, my doorbell rang, and it was a couple of young kids, offering to clear my snow! I was shocked, this happened long ago, but not in recent years - most kids are just lazy! This is why I set the soup in the slow cook - I was going to have to go out and do this.

After 2 hours cooking, I checked the soup, and added about 3/4 c red lentils, to thicken it some, which works great, plus the rest of the ham. Also, it needed more smoke flavor, and as I was standing there thinking this, I saw my jar of chipotle flakes sitting there, and the light went off! So I put about 2 tsp of them in there, and after another hour, it was just the right thickness, and flavor. I also made a few corn muffins, to eat with it - just a half recipe.
Image4 bean soup, with ham and a couple of potatoes in it. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageCorn muffins - should have made 5, so they would have been a little larger. by pepperhead212, on Flickr
WOW that looks good. I grew up eating, ham, beans & corn bread, it makes the entire house smell good. My mother use to pressure cook the ham bone until about 90% of it dissolved into the soup that adds lots of flavor. Grandmother always cooked pinto beans. Mother learned Navy Beans are better than pinto & never cooked pinto beans ever again. Wife likes to cook 15 beans soup I like the bean variety. It has been a while sense we cooked Lentil soup they cook very quick, wife adds lots of celery. We keep, ham & beans, vegetable soup, and chili, in the freezer in small 1 & 2 serving containers.

I have a recipe for lentil soup that says, after soup is cooked puree until soup looks like gravy. I thought puree lentils is weird and refused to do it until I did a small test to compare the 2, the puree is 3 times better flavor, I never expected that.

imafan26
Mod

I scored in a trade. I traded rosemary and applemint and got a nice head of red leaf lettuce and an upo from our friend's farm. Now, I won't be stuck with just iceberg lettuce which was the only thing that looked decent the last time I went to the store.
I will make pork and squash soup with the upo. Actually, I only have a couple of recipes for upo. One is the soup which I can substitute green papaya (similar to tinola). The others are a variation of pork and squash stir fry and sari sari.

The basic recipe is simple, but I have to modify it for my diet. I will use a boneless pork loin chop and I will only use about 300 grams of that. I have the ginger I grew pickled in sherry in the frig. I have the upo and I have green onions in the yard, but I prefer to use a yellow onion instead. As much as I love oyster sauce, it is too salty so I am substituting the oyster sauce and dashi no moto with unsalted chicken broth which has 35 mg of sodium per serving. I can use either the coconut aminos or low sodium soy sauce for color, low sodium sazon, potassium salt and truvia instead. It won't taste as good as using pork rib bones or fish sauce, but it will be o.k. for me. I wish I could have rice, but I can't have that either on a low carb diet.

Hawaiian Electric Pork and Squash Soup
Ingredients:

1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 tablespoon diced ginger
1 pound local pork belly, cut into bite-sized pieces
1 medium long squash, diced
1/2 cup chopped (1-inch pieces) green onion

Sauce:

1 cup water
1-2 tablespoons oyster sauce
1 teaspoon dashinomoto (Japanese soup base available in Asian section)

Directions:

In a large sauté pan, heat oil on medium-high heat.
Add ginger and brown.
Add pork and brown.
Add sauce ingredients and bring to a boil.
Add squash and cook until soft.

Serves 4.

Approximate Nutrient Analysis per serving:
650 calories, 65 g fat, 23 g saturated fat, 85 mg cholesterol, 400 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 3 g sugar, 12 g protein

I just tasted this and while it smells good and has enough pepper. I still miss the salt. So I added some vinegar and sugar. It is better now. The combination makes it less bland. I still don't like the vinegar taste, but I don't miss the salt as much now.

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Today I made homemade potato Chips same way video shows factories make potato chips on, How Stuffs Made. I used my hand crank thing to slice potatoes. Turn on kitchen oven to 375°F. Get a pan of salt water started boiling. Get cast iron skilled heating up canola oil to 375°F. When, oil, water, oven, are all hot throw potato slices in hot oil. Laser thermometer shows oil temperatures drops to 300° then slowly returns to 375. When chips are golden brown use large wire scooper to remove chips to drain as much soil as possible. Next dump chips into boiling salt water stir very fast 4 seconds to remove cooking oil then remove chips from water. Put chips on baking sheet to bake away the water until chips are crispy. Chips turned out very good I even cooked the potato pealing. Set up and clean up takes longer than cooking, make it worth while to do, cook 4 or 5 lbs of potatoes they cook down small. Lunch is hot dog and chips. NO Hotdog Buns and NO Chips I'm not making a special trip to the grocery store today. We are still eating 2 year old garden homemade sweet relish. I don't need to grow cucumbers again until next year. We prefer no beef sausage but its very hard to find. This big sausage makes 4 big hotdogs.
Attachments
100_3577.JPG
100_3578.JPG
100_3579.JPG
100_3580.JPG
100_3581.JPG

imafan26
Mod

Hey, gotta be innovative with what you've got. I actually prefer polish or Aidell's chicken sausage to hot dogs anytime.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

I didn't eat this today, but I got something started today, that I've gotten a taste for after trimming all that stuff from my hydroponics, and saw all that basil! This is something that I usually do in the summer, but I've done it before, with these frozen tomatoes. Tomorrow will be the warmest day (though I won't be opening the windows! lol), so I'll finish it then. All the tomatoes, garlic, and basil are grown here!

I've got a bunch of those tomatoes in the freezer! I just thaw them for about 30 minutes, then halve most them, and cut the larger ones up a little more.
Image35 oz frozen tomatoes. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageGenerous amount of basil, from hydroponics, for the raw tomato pasta. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

ImageGarlic, basil, EVOO, and tomatoes, ready to chill overnight, for the raw tomato pasta. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

I also cooked about 3 c chickpeas today, about 1½ dry, and another jar I was trying to empty, and get off the shelf. Those will go in with the pasta, at the end of boiling, and added to the raw tomato mix, along with fish sauce.

applestar
Mod

I tried making “pizza pot pie” based mostly on this video

…I used a different pizza dough recipe and subbed in 1/4 cup chickpea flour.
…simmered/reduced a store bought jar of sausage pasta sauce for about an hour for sauce
… brushing with beaten egg was too cumbersome so I just brushed with EVOO
… 355°F oven for 12 minutes

This was first time making these but I they turned out delicious! Everyone made their own (Mine was EVOO, raw onion slices, chopped raw cauliflower, mozzarella and sauce, one DD had zucchini slices, mozzarella and sauce, and so on). I especially liked the way this turned into “thin crust” pizza but with about twice as much “topping” on it.

I did have to eat my “personal” sized pizza with a knife and fork — too much sauce — but the crust was perfect and not soggy since it was actually the “lid” while baking.

imafan26
Mod

Pizza bowl. Deconstructed pizza. I love it. I can't have it, but I love the idea.

I am going to continue my personal pantry challenge. I still have not made a dent in my freezer. I probably will still buy at least one rotisserie chicken this month because the one thing I don't have a lot of in my freezer is chicken and the most economical way for me to buy chicken is to get a Costco rotisserie chicken. It costs less than buying a whole chicken and it is already cooked and ready to be used in other dishes. I will still have to get things I don't grow and don't keep well like produce and dairy. I also usually buy some things that I need for my diet like low salt products which are not that easy to find even with pre-supply shortages.

Yesterday. I used a pork sirloin roast that was the first thing that I could pry out of the freezer without everything falling out. It is very lean so it is hard to keep it from being dry. I also had mushrooms that I bought earlier in the month that needed to be used. I had rosemary, thyme, and green onions and leeks in the garden.

I used the basic recipe from this site.
https://www.foodandwine.com/recipes/por ... s-and-wine
Ingredients:
2 lb pork sirloin roast (pork loin roast would have more fat and would be less dry, but this is what I had)

1 1/2 teaspoons coarse sea salt ( I used a salt substitute because of my diet)

1/2 teaspoon black pepper

3 tablespoons olive oil ( I used avocado oil and butter because I like a neutral oil and the richness that butter adds)

1 pound white button mushrooms, quartered ( I only had an 8 oz container of white mushrooms)

8 small white spring onions (about 10 ounces), trimmed, white parts only (This is Hawaii, we eat the greens. I used my Shimonita leeks and Ishikura long green onions. both the tops as well as the stalks. Leeks when slow cooked are soft and sweet. If they would only be briefly cooked, it would be much more fibrous. Even though the leaves are big, they are still sweet)

3 large garlic cloves, smashed (I sliced the garlic and studded the roast with them. It keeps the garlic from burning and becoming bitter and flavors the roast from within.)

1/2 cup (4 ounces) Corsican Muscat wine ( I was going to use Sherry because that is what I had, but I forgot to add it. )
1 cup lower-sodium chicken stock ( I use herb ox salt free bouillon 10 cal. 0 Na)

1 packet sazon (sodium free version. This is not in the original recipe)

3 rosemary sprigs ( I used more)

6 thyme sprigs ( I used more)

Insert sliced garlic cloves into pork roast through slits in the meat and season with salt and pepper. Heat oil in an oven safe dutch oven. Brown roast on all sides. Set aside. To the same pot add the mushrooms, green onions. I added a tablespoon of butter and sauteed the mushrooms and onions until they got some color. Added the water, bouillon and sazon. Sazon can be added to any recipe to boost flavor. The low sodium version is not easy to find, but it is also on Amazon. Heated it back up to a boil and then turned the heat off. Added back the seared roast, rosemary and thyme. Covered with heat safe lid. Put the entire dutch oven in the a preheated 400 degree oven and braised for 22 minutes until internal temperature was 130 degrees.
Removed from oven for carryover cooking.

I forgot to put in the Sherry and I left the orange peel out because all I have are lemons and limes. It would have been nice to have had these as well.

This was really good except that even with braising the roast is still dry. A fattier cut of meat would have worked better. It had enough flavor for me, (wine and orange peels would have been even better), but real salt would have taken it over the top.
Attachments
20220203_133243r.jpg
20220203_133309r.jpg
20220203_133410r.jpg
20220203_133505r.jpg
20220203_134540r.jpg
20220203_134804r.jpg
20220203_142531r.jpg

applestar
Mod

I made this today —

Subbed in rice milk+chickpea flour for milk, and added vanilla bean infused rum in the custard filling; replaced part of flour with whole wheat, and part of sugar with allulose for the dough.

Divided into 16, and only filled 8 with custard, 4 with koshi an adzuki paste, and last 4 with 2 pieces of dark chocolate with peanut Hershey minis each.

Standard cupcake liners were perfect size to proof and steam in and I was able to use different patterns to indicate the filling :wink:

Everybody loved them. I might need to make another batch tomorrow…. :lol:

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Sounds delicious!

applestar
Mod

I didn’t take any pics yesterday, but here are the leftovers that were in the fridge overnight on the left, and an adzuki paste one that I reheated in 325°F oven for 6 minutes (I could have glazed it before baking, too.)

You can see the roll turned out more like baked after reheating. Delicious either way, but adds another dimension in versatility if you just want to make ahead and serve at a later date.

I’ve been adding other possible fillings like any kind of mini meatball — Swedish with cream sauce, Italian with res gravy, cubes of cheese, cream cheese ball, popcorn shrimp, chicken nugget, fruit compote and jam/jelly fillings, …etc. etc.

Possibilities seem endless. :D
Attachments
8AAA5100-E81F-45B2-8D2C-539838B312D6.jpeg

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Last night I did a one dish meal in the IP - an Italian style dish, like I make jambalaya, but with Italian sausage, instead of shrimp and ham, and some Italian herbs. Also, some brown basmati, plus some oat groats, for the starch (looks like all rice). And a can of cannellini beans, rinsed, added at the end, along with some chopped fresh basil and parsley, cooked briefly. Had it again, for lunch today - needed some water added, but that's normal, for these types of foods.
ImageItalian style rice dish, with sausage, onion, garlic, tomatoes, and herbs, with pecorino on top. by pepperhead212, on Flickr

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”