applestar
Mod

Re: Let's talk recipes -- are you as random as I am?

I'm eating pasta with leftover meat sauce. I doctored it wit some quartered San Marzano Nano, diced green Sivri Biber pepper and diced red, red, red Donkey Ears pepper, then added a handful of pea eggplants, fresh curry leaves and fresh Kaffir lime leaf. Added and folded in freshly cooked whole wheat spirals, basically covered the surface wit galam masala, then covered and steamed for a minute or two.

Just stirred it up and had the first taste in a small bowl and where the lime leaf flavors transferred intensely, it was especially amazing! :D

...now if you'll excuse me, I'm going back for a full plate. :wink:

...I'm back! Wow! This is SOOOO GOOD!!!! :> the eggplants need a bit more cooking... There is a bitter aftertaste right now, but the first bite bursts with intriguing flavor -- I'm going to need to experiment with this some more..... 8)

imafan26
Mod

The pea eggplants? Are they turkey berries? If they are they are supposed to be bitter. Asians like bitter flavors they usually use bitter with fish to disguise the fishiness.

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

Applestar,

Have you made a Thai curry to try the lime leaves or pea eggplants in?

Surprisingly, that thing is still flowering in this very cool weather we are having, but I doubt I will get any more.

applestar
Mod

Not yet. I forgot to get rice. I can't have any kind of curry without rice.... (You could tell I was craving some though, can't you :wink:)

...I might make Tom Kha Gai (chicken coconut milk soup) today... I was thinking about making it yesterday, but didn't get the chance.

imafan26
Mod

Normally, I don't try to go too far from a recipe, but on Wednesday my friend invited me to an outing to visit the seed lab at University of Hawaii (17 miles away) and then go over to Waimanalo research station (about 30 miles away, basically on the other side of the island). She offered to pick me up and drive so I made lunch.

I made tofu salad and I bought a subway sandwich to split. I also made a tomato basil omelette burrito for breakfast. So, I had some left over everything.

I made a sandwich for lunch yesterday with the honey mustard mayonnaise ( equal parts of each blended together), watercress, sliced tomato, and crisp bacon (for me, my friend eats healthy but I like bacon), on a hamburger bun.

It was really good, the honey mustard mayo really gave it a different flavor. It probably would have been better on a specialty bun.

Sweyn

imafan26, how do you do a tofu salad?

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Glad to see this thread revisited.

G left EXTREMELY early this AM to fly to South Dakota for a pheasant hunting trip. I knew that he would not eat until he arrived this afternoon so I got up stupid, crazy early and made him an awesome going away breakfast. A Cajun cross of eggs Benedict and eggs Sordou with a twist.

I did my prep last night then prepared my man a feast this morning.

Start with Boudin removed from the casing and formed into 1/2" thick patties. Cover lightly with a coating of Panko mixed with finely grated Gruyere. Prepare creamed spinach. Gently fry Boudin patties in olive oil. Just enough to brown the bread crumbs and warm the already cooked Boudin. Plate Boudin patty. Top with creamed spinach. Top spinach with a poached egg. Sprinkle with grated Gruyere. Top with a Beurre Blanc sauce. Coffee and fresh squeezed OJ. My man left happy.

Went back to bed and slept for another 3 hours.

Last week I made another variation. I had some left over smothered chicken livers. I made patties from the livers and followed the same recipe only I used an Hollandaise sauce instead of Beurre Blanc.

I love egg dishes.

applestar
Mod

Those breakfasts sound decadent! I would love to try something like that, but probably more towards brunch time. 8)

I was shelling some dry beans but had some pods that were still not completely dried. So I took out a cup of mixed "green" shelled beans* -- runner, purple podded pole (like white beans), and Kentucky wonder pole and I think some kind of crowder beans -- and cooked them for 1/2 hour to add to a stew I was making from Italian sausage, lots of onions, purple carrots, a green Anaheim pepper* that I froze a while back. celery*, Swiss chard ribs*, myoga, ... Deglazed with red wine vinegar, then simmered in watered down marinara sauce, diced potatoes, eggplants, mushrooms, and bean cooking water. Marjoram and bay leaves, sea salt. All just thrown together and simmered until done. I guess this is a cassoulet of sorts. Oh yum! :D

imafan26
Mod

Tofu Salad
1 block firm tofu, diced into 1/2 inch cubes
1 bunch watercress
8 oz mung bean sprouts
1/4 cup onion, minced
1 cucumber, diced
1 tomato, diced
1 can salmon or tuna, drained
2 tsp toasted sesame seeds

Note: you can use mixed salad greens and julienne carrots in place of the watercress.

Dressing
2 Tablespoons sugar
3 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger

Combine sauce ingredients and set aside in a jar or covered container. In a serving dish layer, salmon or tuna, then a layer of diced tofu, then top with onions, then a layer of tomatoes, a layer of diced cucumber, a layer of beansprouts, then a layer of watercress. Sprinkle Toasted sesame seeds on top. Just prior to serving shake dressing and pour over salad.

This sauce is the one that I use for somen salad. The dressing that originally came with this recipe contains no vinegar
if you want to try it to compare
Original tofu salad dressing
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp sugar
1 thumb sized piece of ginger, peeled and grated.

Combine ingredients in a saucepan and heat until oil boils, and sugar melts, then remove from heat and cool. Blend well and pour over tofu salad just prior to serving.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

AppleStar - I love Italian Sausage with beans. I frequently use smoked venison sausage when cooking beans - we have a lot of the sausage. Another favorite is kind of a southern thing - bean soup or split pea soup with ham hocks.

Imafan - I am not a big fan of tofu but your recipe sounds delicious and may change my mind.

Sweyn

imafan26 wrote:Tofu Salad
1 block firm tofu, diced into 1/2 inch cubes
1 bunch watercress
8 oz mung bean sprouts
1/4 cup onion, minced
1 cucumber, diced
1 tomato, diced
1 can salmon or tuna, drained
2 tsp toasted sesame seeds

Note: you can use mixed salad greens and julienne carrots in place of the watercress.

Dressing
2 Tablespoons sugar
3 Tablespoons Rice Vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup vegetable oil
2 Tablespoon Soy Sauce
1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger

Combine sauce ingredients and set aside in a jar or covered container. In a serving dish layer, salmon or tuna, then a layer of diced tofu, then top with onions, then a layer of tomatoes, a layer of diced cucumber, a layer of beansprouts, then a layer of watercress. Sprinkle Toasted sesame seeds on top. Just prior to serving shake dressing and pour over salad.

This sauce is the one that I use for somen salad. The dressing that originally came with this recipe contains no vinegar
if you want to try it to compare
Original tofu salad dressing
1/2 cup vegetable oil
1/2 cup soy sauce
2 tbsp sugar
1 thumb sized piece of ginger, peeled and grated.

Combine ingredients in a saucepan and heat until oil boils, and sugar melts, then remove from heat and cool. Blend well and pour over tofu salad just prior to serving.
That sounds good. I haven't had a lot of experience with tofu and had been wondering what else to do with it. I can probably find most of those ingredients.

Thanks.

applestar
Mod

...another concoction 8)
I was trying to make this: https://about.spud.com/vodka-infused-cherry-tomatoes/

...but I ended up adding a fully yellow Hot Lemon pepper and a green Hanoi Market pepper plus a whole pierced trifoliate orange (I hope that wasn't a mistake). No sherry, worstershire sauce or horseradish, so added a tsp of my fermented Sriracha style chili sauce a good pinch of unground Himalayan pink salt. I only had 192 proof Polish spiritos rather than vodka and only enough to fill 3/4 of the jar, so topped off with white balsamic vinegar. Put sprigs of rosemary, thyme and basil in the bottom.
image.jpg
...I'll let you know how they turn out. :wink:

imafan26
Mod

Watercress that is grown in Hawaii is 100% for local consumption. Demand exceeds supply. It is not hard to grow, but requires clean running water. Most of the watercress farms have artesian well water. It can be grown hydroponically.
Watercress that I have had in the mainland are a different animal entirely. It is much more bitter which I suspect is because it grows slower and is much older. Watercress gets much more bitter when it matures. It is also a lot shorter than what I am used to.

applestar
Mod

Baked and scooped out Kakai squash. Took a deep breath, recalled how I needed to make a *rich* flavored sauce to overcome the blandness and went to work: roughly chopped bacon, ground beef, diced onions, LOTS of celery and celery greens, carrot greens and diced carrot, minced jalapeño and hot lemon peppers, added Kakai, minced ginger, marjoram, a glug of my fermented Louisiana style hot pepper sauce, bay leaf, ground pumpkin pie spice, extra pumpkin pie spice, maple syrup, pink Himalayan sea salt, freshly ground black pepper, a pat of butter and some juice from Seminole pumpkin... Taste -- mmm Needs something more.... 1/2 cup of store bought mushroom marinara.... Cover and cook stirring often so as not to burn.... And voilà!

It was soooo incredibly yummy, I ate most of it by myself :P ...but I did save some for DH (too spicy for the kids) and he gobbled up the first bowlful and wanted more (remember, he DOESNT LIKE SQUASH ;) )

Hmmm.... To make this vegetarian, I would probably sub portobello mushrooms for the bacon and maybe add some kind of vegetarian sausage or nutmeat ... maybe beans ... and boost the flavor with miso (yes, even with maple syrup and pumpkin pie spices :>)

applestar
Mod

Subject: New member video introduction
SuburbanHomestead wrote:As for the bread recipe it is super simple: 3 cups of lukewarm water, 1/4 cup olive oil, 2 eggs, 2 tbs of yeast, 1/2 tbs of salt (a little more if you want it a little saltier) 8 tbs of sugar, chopped herbs (thyme, oregano, rosemary, sweet marjoram) and enough bread flower to get to the right consistency (I never measure out the amount of flour, it will vary according to humidity and flour type) The secret is in the beginning, after adding everything together, to add about 1 cup of flour at a time and beat it well until you can't use a whisk, then continue stirring in flour with a wooden spoon. Add only enough flour for it not to be so sticky, and because you developed the gluten in the beginning, you don't have to knead it too much. Let it rise 1-1/2 to 2 hours, shape it into loaves, then let it rise again about 2 hours and drizzle olive oil (You can use herb infused olive oil for extra herb flavor) and sprinkle course salt.) bake at 350 degrees for about half an hour or so (each oven is different) that is it.
I baked a loaf of bread yesterday based on this recipe. Halved Modifications -- whole wheat flour, used whey from making yogurt cheese instead of water, 3 Tbs sugar and 1 Tbs honey, 1 packet of yeast, dried rosemary ground with mortar and pestle, a handful of walnuts and a handful of dehydrated coconut, 1 Tbs potato starch. Made a wet dough and after 2nd rising, folded the pooled oval leangthwise and tucked in slivers of butter along the top as the gap was pinched closed. Drizzled with EVOO and Pom pomegranate juice. Held the dough in shape with parchment paper mostly folded closed into a roll (like a parchment purse)

It is really really yummy! :D

applestar
Mod

I couldn't find this recipe! --Copying it here for safe-keeping :wink:

Subject: Saved from the garbage...courgettes
applestar wrote:Here's my all-purpose Banana-Nut-Berry-Veg Bread Recipe. Sorry syntheticbutterfly, but you'll have to do the conversions. Enjoy! :D

Applestar's Banana-Walnut-Cranberry-Broccoli (shhh!) Bread {080115}
Adapted from: https://www.cookingforengineers.com/reci ... read/print

Use the butter and flour in the recipe to prepare a loaf pan by buttering the bottom and sides. Lightly flour the pan and tap out the excess flour (back into the flour bowl).
I used a Pyrex glass loaf pan, but any loaf pan around 5 in. by 9 in. (13 cm by 23 cm) should work.

WET INGREDIENTS:

6 Tbs. unsalted butter, melted
2 VERY~OVER ripe bananas, frozen/fresh or 2/3 cup pumpkin puree
2 Tbs honey
2/3 cup finely chopped broccoli florets/shredded zucchini (about 5") or carrots
2 large eggs
1 tsp. vanilla extract

DRY INGREDIENTS:

1-1/3 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1/2 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. baking powder
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
1/8 tsp freshly ground nutmeg
2/3 cup walnuts broken up by hand into small pieces (chopping makes the pieces too small)

1/2 cup fresh/frozen cran/berries (or 1/4~1/3 cup dried?) or 1 fresh kiwi chopped

Preheat toaster oven to 350ºF.

Butter loaf pan with the butter or brush muffin pan with or without muffin paper with veg oil.

Cut up the butter and melt in a medium bowl over boiling water (or in microwave). If defrosting bananas/pumpkins, (soak in a bowl of warm water until skin is sufficiently defrosted to peel, then) put the frozen peeled bananas or cooked/puréed pumpkin in the bowl with butter to defrost.

Put the flour in a large bowl, use as much as required to dust the buttered loaf pan, then combine and whisk all the dry ingredients except for the walnuts.

Once the butter has melted, add honey. Remove from heat and mash together. Beat each egg in a small bowl then add one at a time mixing after each one. Remove from heat and add shredded veg. Add vanilla and thoroughly mix together.

Pour the wet ingredients over the dry ingredients. Add walnuts and berries. Then, using a large rubber spatula, fold the flour and the banana/pumpkin mixtures together, turning the bowl, just until no more dry flour is uncovered (DON'T OVERMIX).

Pour into the prepared loaf pan or use reg or mini muffin batter scoop to fill the pans and bake for 50/23/18 minutes or until tester comes out clean.
Cool in pan on wire rack for 10 min. then turn out and continue to cool on wire rack. Serve warm or cooled.

applestar
Mod

Today's variation was whole stick of organic cultured unsalted butter, 1 banana, some frozen fresh immature red Kuri winter squash from the freezer (including rind and seeds) cut up in rough approx. 1/2" chunks, 1cup frozen blueberries, 1/3 cup walnuts, 2TBS brown flaxseeds, 2TBS crumbled frozen Cinnamon Basil leaves. Baked in papered muffin tins and sprinkled the top with date sugar+pumpkin pie spice blend. Baked for 12 min turned and another 12 min.

The recipe made exactly 18 delicious muffins. I already ate two.... :>

applestar
Mod

Haha how PERFECT that the last two posts were about the banana+ bread :()

TODAY's version:
image.jpg
Bananas, walnuts, carrots, organic (not orange) dried apricots, dried candied orange peel, frozen blueberries and blackberries, cranberry cheddar cheese, pine nuts sprinkled on top of the loaf with sugar. Forgot to replace 1/3C of the flour with cornmeal as intended, so ADDED 1/3C and compensated by adding some vanilla coconut milk beverage for extra liquid and increasing the baking powder.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

My next recipe experience is going to be Awakened Almonds. For those who don't know, basically sprouted almonds. I've been buying them already made at the health food store and they are so good. And healthy. They are expensive, so I want to try sprouting them myself. I hope to have a little sprout factory someday, with all kinds of sprouts, brocolli, alfalfa, etc. And a salad greens greenhouse. I'm loving these little onions I bought the other day. Purple & white pearl onions. I should be able to grow those in a greenhouse too. They are so small.
I just need more time to do these things that I'm interested in. And now I don't even have a stove. My stove top burner scared me yesterday, a short I think, a hot red flash came out of the burner while I was boiling water, lucky it didn't start a fire. This is the second time something like that happened to me. About ten years ago the burner shot a hole on through the bottom of a stainless steel pan that was holding water. I was standing over it that time and it could have hit me in the eye. Good thing I was standing back a ways. I got rid of that stove the next day. My current stove is also going away similarly. To the recycle factory it is headed. I don't like these cheaply made appliances. It's not all that old, just junky from the start. There I go, I'm rambling on.

applestar
Mod

Scary! Was this an electric stove?
Awakened Almonds sound like a great idea. I have heard that they are very tasty. I should try those. I haven't really started growing my winter sprouts becauses it's been so warm.

HoneyBerry
Greener Thumb

Yes, electric. It was scary.
Yes, Awakened Almonds are soooo good.
I heard about the warm weather over your way on the news. It's cold here and warm over your way. Wanna trade?

applestar
Mod

My corner is still warm-ish though raining. Colder weather is pushing this way though.

---

Today, I made Lamb meatballs made with yogurt, eggs, rice, minced onions, garlic, marjoram, and nutmeg... roasted in the oven on same parchment lined pan with Brussels sprouts tossed with EVOO and sesame oil and a bit of minced garlic and sea salt. YUM! :D

applestar
Mod

I made some Frozen Lavender Scented Eggnog Yogurt. Huh? You say. Yeah totally made up as usual. Image

Heated eggnog to steaming, then allowed to cool then added plain Greek yogurt -- about 1/2 cup to almost 6 cups of nog. Allowed to cool completely on the counter (not really culturing the yogurt fully) then poured into two 2C Pyrex bowls and a 1 pt. Canning jar. The bowls with snap on lids went into the freezer and was stirred twice as they froze. Stirred about 1 tsp. of dried lavender buds into one bowl. Put an oven mit cozy on the mason jar with plastic lid on and let that one culture for about 6 hrs before putting in the fridge. It was kind of loose then but seems to have set.

I'm currently eating the very last wedge of pecan pie warmed up in the oven, a la mode with the frozen lavender scented eggnog yogurt. Soooo yummy! Image

applestar
Mod

Sourcream Quiche made with Chrusciki and oyster cracker crumb crust
image.jpg
>Chrusciki -- Polish fried dough cookies, also known as Angel Wings

Chruscikis must be DH's childhood nostalgia snacks. He or his mom keeps getting a huge box of them. He doesn't seem to remember that our kids don't eat them very quickly and they tend to go to waste.

This time, as soon as he brought them home, I decided I was going to try making cracker crumb pie crust dough out of some of them.

As it turned out, I had a craving for quiche today. I probably would have used all Chruscikis for a sweet pie, but since it was going to be a savory pie, I used about 1/4 oyster crackers and added salt. Eyeballed it with 6 Tbs of unsalted butter in a mini food processor, but it's obvious I should have used a bit more cookies and/or crackers ... May have needed full stick of butter then. A splash of whey to moisten the crumbs/butter mixture.

Custard -- used 3 eggs with 1/3 Cup sour cream and enough whey from making ricotta cheese to make up to 1/2 Cup, but I could have used 4 eggs if I had made enough pie crust to fully line the quiche pan to the rim. nutmeg and black peppers.

Filling -- Sautéed onions, carrots, celery, a tiny bit of minced red jalapeño for color and hidden prickles of heat, fresh parsley, kale, shiitake, frozen super sweet corn and green peas. Polish deli ham and sharp Chedder cheese (orange).

sweetiepie
Green Thumb

Birdlover, Everytime I move to a new house I get stuck with an old electric stove that I need to wear out and then I get my new stove and we move again. But right in the middle of fall canning this year my stove did that same thing to me. My husband looked at it and when he touched the electric cord going to the burner it just crumbled a part. So I had to order online from halfway across the country the stove I wanted because ND doesn't handle this stove anywhere. Love it. 36 inches wide with six burners, and gas. So no wait time and it has no electrical on it. So I can do what ever I want with out power even though I have a wood cook stove I use in the winter but for canning l love the extra room. I can use two canners at once.

applestar
Mod

This was from Sunday. Is it weird that I save comments like these in my journal? I thought I might want to write it up. (This is sometimes the only way I might be able to re-create a recipe. I should note that I added diced dates, a bit of lime juice and liberal amount of nutmeg at the end, and I made a separate layer of bottled OJ with broken up frozen raspberries. :> )

>What does it mean when you can't go back to sleep because you keep thinking about a jello mold you thought of making.... >:D

>I finished making it :D not really jello >> made with agar agar. Tasted the silicon spatula used to scrape the sauce pan and it was pretty yummy. Now to wait for it to set. Coconut cream, greek yogurt, overripe banana and underripe honeybell slices, etc

It was well received and went pretty quickly. DH quietly served himself a second piece while DD's and I were discussing the texture and flavor of the ingredients and why we each thought it tasted good.
image.jpg
I used agar flakes, not block, and didn't sieve it to keep the extra texture and fiber. Funny thing is even though I KNOW I didn't put shredded coconut in this because I specifically decided against it to avoid the hard grainy texture, the agar flakes had taken on the coconut flavor and my tastebuds kept on registering them as shredded coconut. DD was stumped by "white chunks that taste like nuts" ... Eventually conceding that maybe they are banana pieces that had been simmered in simple syrup. She insisted that they were NOT the lighter inner part of dried dates or some of the solidified coconut cream that didn't get blended in.....

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

This thread is funny, I do the same thing. I love to cook in cold weather and my wife loves to cook too. Sometimes I have to tell Alice, its my turn in the kitchen. LOL. I don't always want to cook the same thing the same way over and over. Sometimes I cook a recipe then realize I am out of something but I don't want to make a special trip to the store so I substitute. I watch cooking shows on TV and cooking on YouTube it gives me ideas. We go camping all the time even in cold 25 degree weather, we often eat better at the camp ground than we do at home. I have lots of fun in the kitchen, just as much fun as working in the garden in summer. I am still trying to learn how to cook good India food with not much luck. If I make it hot and spicy we can't tell how bad it tastes. What you eat hot today comes out hot tomorrow. LOL.

imafan26
Mod

I have been buying McDonald's burgers and taking it for lunch everyday. I like Burger King burgers better but it is more out of the way to go there so I decided to make my own burgers for lunch.
One of the reasons I don't like McD's burger is because it is all meat, dry, and doesn't have much flavor by itself.
I like a moist burger so I make meatloaf burgers.
1 lb hamburger
2 slices of bread, moistened with milk or water and broken up
1/2 cup minced onion
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 carrot grated
1 egg
1/3 cup Jack Daniel's or Sweet Baby Ray's BBQ sauce
1 tsp poultry seasoning
garlic salt and pepper to taste
Mix it all together and form into patties and pan fry or grill.

I put a patty on a bun with preferable provalone cheese, but I will use whatever cheese is available, lettuce and tomato. If I am eating this at home I like a honey mustard mayo, but if I am brown bagging, I leave the mayo out.

applestar
Mod

Today's random creation is a bread pudding:
image.jpg
image.jpg (61.54 KiB) Viewed 9632 times
-- I cooked about 1/3 of a Thai Kang Kob squash from last fall's harvest... The usual way in a small side dish casserole with 1/2" water, pats of butter, covered with foil. My DD's ate the last of it last night for midnight snack, so I told them to save the liquid in the fridge for me -- I didn't know what I was going to do with it but I wasn't about to waste the flavor-packed liquid.

Today, I took it out, then looked around... And found 1/2 loaf of WF's pecan raisin sourdough bread in the freezer. So I made bread pudding.

-- added a good glug or two of OJ, pumpkin pie seasoning spices, put in toaster oven to heat up and melt the congealed butter,
-- added another 1/2 stick of unsalted butter and toasted and torn up slices of the bread while spooning out about 1/2 of the hot liquid and melting butter into well beaten eggs (2).
-- a heaping tablespoon of brown sugar in the egg mixture and another heaping tablespoon scattered among the semi-soaked bread, then a heaping tablespoon of Dutch process cocoa along the middle length of the casserole, swirls of real maple syrup all over,
-- then evenly poured in the custard mixture
-- realized I'd forgotten the vanilla extract and salt so poured some over and sprinkled a good 1/2 tsp or so of sea salt on top
-- 350°F for 30 minutes.

Sea salt has crystallized on the exposed crunchy toasted bread, resulting in occasional distinct salty flavor bites, and the cocoa had floated up but fortunately didn't really burn -- providing a rich chocolatey gooeyness as well as occasional bitter chocolate crunch.

DD and I each took big portions without knowing how it turned out, and agreed it was delicious. :D too bad I won't be able to make another one exactly like it. :>

applestar
Mod

Creative leftover madness continues :lol:

Ground Turkey, cauliflower and left over butternut/winter squash and B. Sprouts "quiche" -- with fresh cranberry and melted cheese, made with days old home baked raisin bread "stuffing" crust

Dice and render bacon, add garlic and ground turkey to brown. Add seasoning and spices -- salt, nutmeg, freshly ground black pepper, home made chili powder. Add chopped cauliflower and left over Brussels sprouts -- cover and steam with two sprigs of Rosemary, fresh parsley stems, and ground thyme. Add home made turkey stock and some whey. A bit of pure maple syrup for rounded flavor. Add leftover squash (contained dried cranberries). Cook until most of the moisture has been absorbed. Remove the rosemary and parsley stems.

In the mean time, thinly slice and toast the days old home baked raisin bread. Put EVOO and butter in a medium bowl, pile the toasted bread on top, and mix with a wooden spoon, breaking up the bread and butter. Add an egg beaten with some orange juice and kefir (reserve about 1/4 cup of the egg mixture), fennel seeds, dried sage and dehydrated sliced onions from the summer harvest, and chopped fresh parsley.

Butter a quiche pan well, then press the bread mixture evenly on the bottom, then use a spoon to push the crust up the sides. Spoon the turkey mixture in a mound (I arranged most of the chunkier butternut squash in the middle) then make a circular moat.

Mix fresh cranberries with egg mixture and shredded cheese (used TJ's mozzarella/Monterey jack/cheddar mix) and arrange in the moat. Bake at 425°F for 25 minutes until cheese are melted and crust is just browned.

DH thought the fresh cranberries were too tart, while I thought they "made" the flavors zing. He also would have liked "more" onions (I didn't add any because there were plenty of onion flavor in the stock, squash, and from the dried onion flakes.) --- BTW despite the critiques, he ate about 1/3 of the entire quiche ;)

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Hi All,

Time to revisit recipe world.

Cooking is a favorite hobby of mine. This one is very easy. Your picky family members will love it.

Pureed Cauliflower

The trick is to cook your Cauliflower in milk. The milk removes some of the harshness of Cauliflower. It is smooth, creamy and luscious.

1 small to medium head of cauliflower - cut into uniform pieces
Cook in 1 quart of whole milk until tender
Strain the Cauliflower reserving the milk
Puree - I return my Cauliflower to the pot and use an immersion blender. Easier clean up than a regular blender.
Add 1 Tbsp. Olive Oil and 2 to 4 Tbsp. butter. (I like Butter)
Sea Salt and fresh ground Pepper
If the cauliflower is a little dry or stiff add the milk 1 Tbsp. at a time.

OMG!

I have also cooked Broccoli and Turnips in milk and pureed. Even if you do not use the milk in the puree cooking in it some how changes the texture and taste of the vegetables.

The Grands go nuts over my pureed veggies. I have to try Brussel's Sprouts.

applestar
Mod

Tried/am trying to make maple walnut fudge -- didnt have maple extract, tried a recipe using real maple syrup, and promptly burned the bottom -- not enough stirring before starting to boil seems to be the reason after some searching around. Also this useless Chantal Cuisinart stainless pot -- never my fave -- better reserved for small servings of clear soup and noodle soups.

Have rigged a double-boiler with another, even less useful enameled Chantal pot -- I swear I only like their glass lids. I need the mixture to reach temperature at the top of the mix without stirring it -- apparently that is a no-no once it starts bubbling. But am resigned to it not solidifying properly. I am not tossing it though -- I have a storebought graham cracker crust pie shell --- I think I will call it maple praline walnut fudge pie. :P

... hours later ...

I did pour most of the mixture in the pie crust. Trying to decide if I want to melt a layer of chocolate on top ...or if sour cream topping for a cheese cake would be a good match for super sweet yumminess. It doesn't look half bad as it is though -- maybe all it needs is a bit of canned whipped cream. :D

Yeah the thin layer I poured out in the parchment-lined square pan has not completely set... I have been testing/tasting quite frequently as you can see -- all of that was me. I need the DD's to take over the tasting before I get sick from eating too much sugar.... :oops:

...I "rescued" the burned fudge pot by dissolving all the caramel and fudge mixture that wouldn't scrape off with silicone spatula with some milk and half and half, then adding sugar, vanilla, and eggs to make a custard. I portioned off about a cup with a fine tea strainer and added extra heaping amounts of sillycow marshmallow swirl cocoa mix, then gently poured that in a spiral pattern without mixing into the main custard mix strained with medium strainer into the glass bowl, then baked in a bain-marie. Haha. Not sure if marbled effect worked out -- It looks to me like some of the cocoa-flavored custard mix sank to the bottom while the oils in the cocoa floated to the top. Anyway, the DD's will love it.

...... My delicious maple walnut fudge failures – “maple praline walnut fudge pie”, “eat with a spoon” too-soft fudge, and “not as dense as flan and not as creamy as creme brulee” maple-brulee custard with silky marshmallow-cocoa layer. …are they still failures if they taste fabulous? :>

applestar
Mod

I made rice pudding today -- 2 parts organic short grain brown rice, 1 part organic short grain sweet/glutenous brown rice, 1/2 full-fat pasteurized but not homogenized whole milk, and 1/2 half-and-half, vanilla sugar, bourbon vanilla beans pods in maker's mark extract, 1 well beaten egg, some butter, and mixture of chopped dried apricots, cranberries, almonds, and cashews. ;)

pepperhead212
Super Green Thumb

That sweet glutenous brown rice (a.k.a. black sticky rice) is one of my favorite rices for sweet dishes! A very simple recipe I remember consisted of just water, black sticky rice, and some sugar, simmered with a pandanus leaf for an unusual and delicious flavor. Sort of like vanilla, but unique unto itself.

applestar
Mod

Another random creation based on three recipes mish-mashed together and adapted to ingredients from my pantry. :()

Yeast sweet roll dough made with tomato juice from the summer garden, freshly made from coconut flakes milk, 1/2 organic white whole wheat, 1/2 organic bread flour. Blackberry jam from my summer garden and store-bought concord grape jelly mixed with squeezed out coconut flakes. Chopped brazil nuts from a bag of combo shell-on nuts because nobody ate the brazil nuts....

imafan26
Mod

I had to make something today and I bought some pulled pork from costco but I am tired of sandwiches. So, I decided to make fried rice with the remainder.
4 cups cooked rice (preferably from the night before)
1/2 lb pulled pork
6 strips bacon sliced into 1/2 inch pieces
1 onion, chopped
3 gloves garlic, minced
1 kamabuko (fishcake) surimi can be substituted.
4 tablespoons oyster sauce
16 oz frozen mixed vegetables, thawed
3 tablespoons soy sauce
1 tablespoon sugar (optional)
pepper to taste

Saute bacon until almost browned, add pulled pork,onion, and garlic and stir fry until pork is warmed and onions are transluscent. Add fishcake, mixed vegetables, oyster sauce, soy sauce, sugar (optional), and pepper. Stir fry 4-5 minutes, then add cooked rice and blend everything together. Cook 2 minutes more. Adjust seasoning (salt is optional) and turn off heat.

For me this is a meal for any time of day. I can have it with an egg or sausage or just by itself.

applestar
Mod

Made tapioca pudding with following embellishments -- standard tapioca pudding recipe using milk, eggs, and vanilla sugar.

Added minced (1/4" cubed) strawberries and lemon zest (1/8" or less) while cooking and added semi-sweet chocolate chunks after turning off the heat -- do not stir. (Remember that chocolate cake I made a while ago? I got this idea from that recipe)

Poured without stirring into a large sealable pyrex bowl to cool.

-- started sampling while still warm but starting to set. Gooey streaks of melted chocolate in every spoonful, with soft deposits of chocolate, occasional strawberry-ness and bits of lemon zest, -- YUM!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

This vegetable soup has all the refrigerator left overs in it. Anything left over becomes some kind of stew or soup sooner or later I hate to waste food. Soup started out with 3 pints of tomatoes, large onion, garlic, 1 lb of beef stew meat and all the left overs in the frig and herbs. It turned out very good. For some reason this is always better the 2nd and 3rd day, I don't think there will be any left for a 3rd day. This was an all day cooking project in the large 3 gallon crock pot.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Gary, it looks like you took a picture of a bowl of soup from my kitchen. I love a hearty bowl of soup with lots of vegetables in it and like you, I cook it by the gallons. What doesn't get eaten goes in the freezer in quart bags for later use. The only issue I have is the potatoes tend to become a bit mushy when frozen, but everything else stays pretty firm.

SQWIB
Greener Thumb

Yep, very random, and most of my recipes are thought up in the middle of the night when I cant sleep.

Here are two of my successes;

Pork Luau Shots

My most off the wall success

Canoli ABT's

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”