Rairdog
Green Thumb

Re:

imafan26 wrote:Sounds amazing. What do you put it on?
I am a wimp I only use chili pepper water which is more water, some salt, garlic and a couple of hawaiian peppers and that can go on eggs, stew and rice. I usually prefer fenad1ne on meat. I also like hot pepper jelly slathered on BBQ chicken.
It should be about the level of a Habanero sauce or less. I put hot sauce on about everything. The Aji and Beni are slightly less than Habs in heat. I could eat a whole one but it would be painful. Most of the sauces I make are not unbearable if I get a mouthful. It's like bitting into a peppercorn or maybe a little more. They really change the flavors with the fruity heat.

This mash will be cooked down and strained after a month or so of fermenting. It will have the consistency of Tabasco or a little thicker and a little more heat.

@ AS...A lot of people make their initial mash with just peppers and sometimes veggies/fruit. Then they add garlic, onion, ginger, coriander(mostly root or seed spices) etc in the final cook to their tastes. The garlic, onion, carrot seems to be an ole standby for most. They add the extra sugars to kick in the fermentaion when you use a lower salt percentage. All my fermented dills, pepperocini's kraut, kimchi etc...have been pretty salty. I am trying this recipe to lower the salt.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

Is there some magic ratio of vinegar to peppers that I need to observe in making hot sauce? I'm not planning on putting anything up for long term storage....just something that will keep a few months in the fridge. I want to play around with a few different flavors, and don't want to poison myself. I know commercial hot sauce pretty much lasts forever and doesn't even require refrigeration.

applestar
Mod

The fermented pepper recipes I've been looking at generally use 1/2 as much vinegar as the volume of puréed peppers and liquid after fermenting.

JayPoc
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:The fermented pepper recipes I've been looking at generally use 1/2 as much vinegar as the volume of puréed peppers and liquid after fermenting.
I'm not quite adventurous enough to try fermenting. It's funny. I make my own beer, and have no problem whatsoever with that. Just a little too squeamish for trying my own bacterial fermentation. But then, I don't eat yogurt, sour cream, etc...etiher. :oops:

Rairdog
Green Thumb

It's just like beer. Once that smell goes bad your done. I got beer goin, mead and peppers as we speak.

Picked a good batch today. I still have a bunch of EOB Mustard to pick and some other yellows.

Peppers atcha!

thefuriousone
Newly Registered

I am a little late to this party, but Applestar those preserves look awesome! And Rairdog those peppers look tasty! I am probably going to make a simple pepper sauce with my harvest- vinegar, water and peppers.

applestar
Mod

Yep. I'm going to process some more into sauce. This time I think I'll make some that can be hot water bath'd to keep in the pantry and maybe give away if they turn out good. 8)

Stefano

These are my cayenne peppers harvested this year. There are more than 300. I am thinking to dehydrate and put them in olive oil in order to make spicy oil to be added on pasta, pizza and other foods ;)
Attachments
100_1858.JPG

imafan26
Mod

I started using pepper flakes from dried peppers on Pizza and in Spaghetti sauce and stew.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

One of my favorite ways to keep my excess of peppers, besides drying them, is to make hot sauces with them. As a youth growing up in New Orleans, every time you went to a local mom and pop restaurant you would find a shaker bottle of vinegar with hot peppers in it to kick it up a notch and that usually sat next to the bottles of Tabasco and Crystal Hot Sauce for patrons to use. You don't see the bottles of pickled peppers in vinegar much anymore, so I make that for myself to use at home on salads or for a little kick on sandwiches. I also love to make my own hot sauces with my hotter varieties of peppers and have ventured into using them in pepper jellies as well.

Here's my favorite recipe for pepper sauce and this will make about a pint jar of HOT sauce:

30 Habanero peppers with stems and green stem end removed. Do not remove seeds or pith.
1 medium onion coarse chopped
4-5 cloves garlic whole---skin removed
1 1/2 cups vinegar of your choice. I use basic white distilled vinegar
1/4 cup salt
1 tbs. Mustard Powder

Blend very well until all ingredients are uniform in size and it is in puree' form.

Place the mixture in a stainless steel pot and bring to a boil, reduce heat and simmer for 15 minutes stirring often so nothing sticks. Have your canning jars ready, pour the sauce in the jars, clean any spill off the tops of the jars and tighten the lids. Allow to cool and this will make the jars form a vacuum. It is ready to use from this point on.

I've made gallons of this stuff over the past several years and am constantly being asked if I have extra by the folks I've given some to. It is a hit, but it is HOT and not for the person that finds Tabasco type sauces not to their liking.

I've used this recipe for Ghost peppers, Trinidad Scorpion Butch T's, Habanero and Serrano. I don't even make pepper sauces with jalapeno or similar peppers now.

Like I mentioned, I also use the hotter peppers for pepper jelly and that too is fast becoming a hit with family and friends. It is a bit hotter than normal pepper jelly, but it can be controlled by simply using less hot peppers than normal.

Stefano

Thank you Gumbo2176 for your recipe. In the next days I'm going to try make hot pepper sauce with some of my peppers inspired from your recipe!!
I hope that will be good! :)

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Stefano wrote:Thank you Gumbo2176 for your recipe. In the next days I'm going to try make hot pepper sauce with some of my peppers inspired from your recipe!!
I hope that will be good! :)

It is best if you use a non-porous pot for this and that is why I use a stainless steel one. I've used a Calaphon pot which is the coated aluminum and I made the mistake of only washing it when done. The next time I used the pot, my food came out very pepper hot because apparently a washing wasn't a good enough cleaning.

If you use one of those type pots be sure to fill it and bring the water to a boil and do this a couple times to eliminate the pepper heat.

Stefano

Thank you for the tip! I will use a stainless pot and then I'll clean it very well by boiling. Otherwise another solution could be to use the pot for cook the food that intentionally you want spicy. For example together to water it could be added pasta and I cook it in order to obtain spicy pasta without add hot pepper! :D

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”