gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

need a chili recipe for canning

I am looking for good recipe for canning chili. I have about 20 - 30 lbs. of tomatoes.

Thanks

Dono

wysteriangnome
Cool Member

I don't know what the measurements for each are, but beside the beans, (hamburger if you like it), celery, onions, black olives (opt.), onions, tomatoes, season to your taste, chili powder, salt, pepper,...we always add 1-2 Tbsp. of sugar to cut the acidic taste. My mother doesn't like Chili hot (makes no sense to me) but I like chili pepper flavor, so chop some up. :) I'm sure you will get a much better 'recipe' than this...basically wanted to tell you about the sugar, I think it adds to the flavor as well.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Oh man... there's a million chili recipes out there. I'm not posting any, because mine are all vegetarian, which probably isn't what you are looking for.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Technically all Chili is vegetarian unless we are talking Chili Con Carne. Also beans can be added.

Dono, I would can without meat or oil to be safer. Meat could be add at meal preparation time.

Eric

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

What would chili be if it didn't have meat OR beans? Stewed veggies? To me the beans are what makes it chili.

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:What would chili be if it didn't have meat OR beans? Stewed veggies? To me the beans are what makes it chili.
So true. I'm just telling everyone the true definition of chili. When most people are thinking Chili it's really Chili "Con Carne", (with meat)

Chili, Spicy stew containing chili peppers.

Eric

imafan26
Mod

I know you asked for chilli recipes.But if you make tomato sauce you can use it for chili, spaghetti, stews,etc. That's what my friend does.

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

Here's mine, it is very easy and delicious. I use ground turkey because we don't eat mammals, but ground beef works well.
I brown a pound or so of ground turkey, add 1 pkg of onion soup mix, usually Liptons.
Then add diced tomatoes, and 1 14 oz can each of light red, and dark red kidney beans, and a can of black beans. Also one 3 oz can of tomato paste, fresh garlic, or garlic powder, red pepper flakes,all to taste, and at least 3 Tbsp of chili powder. Adjust the seasonings only after it has cooked at a simmer for 15 minutes to allow the red pepper flakes to hydrate and permeate the potful. Cook thoroughly for at least 1/2 hour more.
Can vary this with added Siracha and or a jalapeno( seeded).
Serve over brown rice , sprinkle some sharp cheddar over top of whole thing.
Can add sugar if the tomatoes you use aren't sweet enough, but the tomato paste does some of that. (I usually don't)
I don't know about canning with the meat at all, but this is the most versatile and easiest chili I have found.
Hope that helps.

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Thanks you guy's.

I went with this as a base. Chili Recipe I added a can of black olives and some celery. I also added quite a bit more tomatoes at least a full gallon ziplock. I roasted the peppers and onions which I also went a little heavy on the onions, I use both red and white. I also couldn't resist adding garlic which I meant to roast but forgot. It was a little bland so I added a bit more seasoning. Some homemade spices I have gotten in trade over the years made it super awesome.

We had some for dinner last night is was fabulous. We had people over and those that tried it loved it. Oh yeah I came out with 11 quarts on the button, I had a big tablespoon leftover that didn't fit in the jars, but it fit just right in my belly. 8-)

3 cups dried pinto or red kidney beans
ï‚· 5-1/2 cups water
ï‚· 5 teaspoons salt (separated) or turkey
ï‚· 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
ï‚· 1 cup chopped peppers of your choice (optional)
ï‚· 1 teaspoon black pepper
ï‚· 3 to 6 tablespoons chili powder
ï‚· 2 tablespoons cumin (seed or powder)
ï‚· 2 teaspoons oregano
ï‚· 2 quarts crushed or whole tomatoes
ï‚· 2 tablespoons lemon or lime juice
ï‚· 3 lbs ground beef, chicken Modifications You can substitute the spices. For
example, You could add 1 tablespoon of Tabasco sauce or other hot sauce,
add a couple more tablespoons of chili powder (or use less). You can reduce
or omit the onions or peppers, but don't add more of them.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

"5 teaspoons salt (separated) or turkey"

that isn't making sense to me. Did something get left out?

Don't feel bad. I recently posted a recipe for bell pepper jelly and left out the six cups of sugar. Very important ingredient in jelly!

n8young
Cool Member

Hey Gixxxxxxxxxxxxx - what was your process for canning? I assume you pressure canned? Please tell more about this part of the process if you don't mind.

Thanks!

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

Worlds BEST CHILI. Cook the following in a Crock Pot or Large Pot.

1 lbs of lean Ground Beef.
1 Large Yellow Onion diced.
1 Quart of Tomato juice from garden ripe whole tomatoes with skins.
3 Tablespoons Mild Chili Powder.
2 Tablespoons ground Cumin.
8 cloves of Garlic shopped 15 seconds in the blender in 1/4 cup of water.
2 Cans 15 oz each Dark Red Kidney Beans.
Bring to a boil then simmer 1 hour stir often.

SPICES. Add the following spices the last 15 minutes of the cook so they don't loose their flavors and aroma.

8 sprigs of fresh Thyme or 1 teaspoon dry Thyme.
8 sprigs of fresh Marjoram or 2 teaspoons dry Marjoram.
12 sprigs of fresh Oregano or 1 Tablespoon dry Oregano.
1/2 teaspoon of dry ground Bay Leaves.
1 teaspoon of Hershey's Cocoa.
2 Tablespoons of Dark Brown sugar.
3 tablespoons of Worcestershire Sauce.
2 teaspoons of Paprika.
1 teaspoon of salt.
1/2 teaspoon of dry ground cilantro.
1/4 teaspoon of dry fennel.

OPTIONAL SPICES. Ground Red Pepper to make it spicy hot, 1/4 teaspoon for mild, 1/2 for medium, 1 for hot.

Garnish with fresh Cilantro.

Fill 8 pint mason jars 1/2 inch from top, pressure cook, pints 30 minutes, quarts 45 minutes. Fill pressure cooker with water 1/2 inch above lids. Let them cool slow naturally when finished over a period of several hours until lids POP.

Juliuskitty
Green Thumb

OMG-My mouth is watering. This last recipe sounds so delicious! Bookmarking this page....

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:"5 teaspoons salt (separated) or turkey"

that isn't making sense to me. Did something get left out?

Don't feel bad. I recently posted a recipe for bell pepper jelly and left out the six cups of sugar. Very important ingredient in jelly!
RBG this one left me for a loop as well. Not quite sure what they meant. I just went with the salt. :mrgreen:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

n8young wrote:Hey Gixxxxxxxxxxxxx - what was your process for canning? I assume you pressure canned? Please tell more about this part of the process if you don't mind.

Thanks!
Yes I pressure canned them for 90 min at 10 lbs pressure (weighted gauge).

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

Well I did something right we had a chili cook off at a friends house last night. There were 6 batches and a lot of people. My chili won all the category's.

Best over all (flavor, freshness)
Best Name (Colon Cleanser)

My prize was a bunch of girlie stuff, Lotions, soap, bath salts, etc. My wife will be enjoying these.

Meatburner

Gary350, that recipe sounds really good and I will definitely give it a try. My question is where did you get the directions for canning a recipe for chili with beans and meat that way? Are you familiar with the NCHFP or Ball Blue Book?

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I made some chili a week ago and my recipe was:

32 oz cooked kidney beans
32 oz cooked pinto beans
16 oz cooked black beans
4 cups butternut squash
4 roasted poblano peppers
2 jalapenos
2-3 banana peppers
1 onion
lot of garlic cloves chopped
1 teaspoon cumin
1 teaspoon allspice
salt and pepper to taste

Basically, cook the squash and poblanos. Cook the onions, garlic, jalapenos, banana peppers in the pot, then add the cooked beans, squash, poblanos, and spices and cook low for about 20-30 mins. I don't think this recipe can be canned as is, but if tweeked a little you probably could. Really delicious and the best chili I have ever eaten.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”