Northernfox
Greener Thumb

Making Hard Apple Cider

I had a ton of fun doing this! I got to learn about apple trees and for the first time tied that into my other hobby brewing ! I did notice a very interesting thing about the apple trees. The one that was pruned produced larger apples then the one that did not.

The apple cider was made for this Christmas ! I can't wait !!

[youtudotbe]https://youtu.be/F3JnJVJdxfQ[/youtudotbe]

n8young
Cool Member

Will you backsweeten the cider with a non fermentable sugar when you bottle? I apologize, I didn't watch the video, but I have made hard ciders, and mine have always come out very tart, and not sweet at all.

Let me know how it comes out. Also, be sure your cider doesn't contain preservatives, and at most was UV pasteurized, as the preservatives will inhibit a fermentation.

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

I am not sure if I will. I did add sugar during the fermentation process however that should be fairly consumed. I am going to try it around Christmas and I will for sure let you know how it turns out!

I started from Apples so no preservative issues ;)

n8young
Cool Member

Oh nice. Do you have your own cider press?

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

No what I did was used a cold press juicer and juiced them. then I ended up using a fine mesh strainer to remove the pulp. Then I racked it a few times. the apple press is quite costly ;)

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

Stephen, Are you pressed for cold hard cash. :roll: :>

Another nice video. Keep them coming.

Eric

Northernfox
Greener Thumb

I am pressed for cash, time and space ;) the apple press I cost about 250$ to build. it would also have taken a few days to build. the juicer at Costco was way cheaper and much faster! a few process improvements for next year and it will go much better!

I am glad you like the video! I will keep them coming!

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”