Moonshadow

What do you make with your home-canned tomatoes?

I am in possession of 31 quarts of tomatoes. My mom always just used them in chili, but I can't eat enough chili in five years to use this all up. I can make sauce, too, but I'm looking for other ideas.

What do y'all make with yours?

n8young
Cool Member

Good for soups too! I use mine for pasta sauce and chili as well.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Lets see - a million different version of pasta sauce, salsa, chilis, pizza sauce, soups (including gazpacho, pasta e fagioli), stews, curries, lasagna, casseroles, bruschetta, tomato risotto, tomato mac & cheese, eggplant parmesan, enchiladas, homemade V-8 juice, you can even add them (pureed) to your bread dough for tomato bread. I never have enough!

jbest123

Go crazy with a quart and send the rest to me. :-() :-() :-()

Gary350
Super Green Thumb

I use tomatoes in vegetable soup, chili, stews, tomato basil soup is excellent on a cold winter day with grill cheese or any sandwich.

Tomatoes are good in meat loaf too.

Cook a beef roast in a crock pot with 1 pint of tomatoes. Tomatoes cook away and it tenderizes the meat. Add some herbs, onion, vegetables, dinner is ready.

You can cook a whole cut chicken in the crock pot in 1 quart of tomatoes. Turn it on before you leave for work it is almost ready to eat when you come home. A brown sugar, molasses, and other things to convert the cooked tomatoes to BBQ sauce. Get a BBQ sauce recipe online.

Pork chops are great cooked in BBQ sauce too.

My wife sometimes does tomatoes, squash and onions in a pot or baked in the oven both are good.

Sometimes I boil pasta in tomatoes instead of water.

Roasted tomatoes in a hot skillet are good too. Add onion, garlic, herbs, you have spaghetti sauce.

I have been canning for 40 years and I learn new things all the time. Never boil jars or lids, they get boiled when you Can so why boil twice. Never skin the tomatoes. Slice the tomatoes cook them in 3 gallon pots. Put cooked tomatoes in the blender to puree the skins and seeds. Factories make tomato paste from skins if you blend the skins into your tomatoes it doubles the tomato flavor. Hot pack the jars they Can quick the tomatoes are already hot.

I usually Can 100 pints and 14 quarts of tomatoes every summer.

webmaster
Site Admin

Here are some BBQ Recipes contributed by our own members.

BBQ Dry Rub Recipes
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=22939

New Orleans BBQ Shrimp recipe
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=44645

Steve's Famous BBQ Sauce Recipe
https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/vi ... hp?t=22734

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

I made tomato soup and canned it. Going to be really good after shoveling snow this winter!

Moonshadow

So far, besides pasta sauce, I've made chicken tikka masala. It was muy fabuloso; definitely on my "family favorites" list now.

I like the idea of throwing it into the slow cooker with some meat and then making it into barbecue sauce. I'll definitely give that one a try. Making the pasta in it is a very intriguing idea, as well.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

I can tomato paste, sauce spaghetti sauce, stewed tomatoes, and tomato juice It sure makes for better food than you can get at the store!

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”