Susan W
Greener Thumb

Basil, freezing

I'm going for freezing a bit of basil. I have a few plants inside Oct-April, but figured I should freeze some now. Yes, have a new freezer!
On one suggestion (on the net) cut up some leaves, pack in ice cube tray, fill with water. Once frozen pop the cubes into a baggie. A more common one is to coat with olive oil, ice cube tray etc. Pesto is a common one, but I don't make it.

I did one small batch, 8 cubes, with water. Basil pretty and green! Next batch will be olive oil.

imafan26
Mod

I do herb butters. It is easy. Soften some butter so it is moldable not melted. Mince garlic and basil. Combine with butter. Form into a log and wrap in plastic wrap and then foil and freeze. Slice off some herbed butter for vegetables, meats as you need it. I usually use 1 block of butter 1 tablespoon of her and 1-2 tsp of minced garlic. Any herb can work rosemary, dill, basil, or thyme.

lily51
Greener Thumb

Susan W wrote:I'm going for freezing a bit of basil. I have a few plants inside Oct-April, but figured I should freeze some now. Yes, have a new freezer!
On one suggestion (on the net) cut up some leaves, pack in ice cube tray, fill with water. Once frozen pop the cubes into a baggie. A more common one is to coat with olive oil, ice cube tray etc. Pesto is a common one, but I don't make it.

I did one small batch, 8 cubes, with water. Basil pretty and green! Next batch will be olive oil.
I have done both of these, but like olive oil best. So easy to use later and of good quality.
I've also Packed herbs in pickling salt in jam size glass jars and frozen. Good results with this, too.

applestar
Mod

In a hurry/lazy method for near future use -- wash sprigs and stick in ziplock bag. While frozen mash the bag to crumble. Remove stems and pour out crumbled frozen leaves as needed.

Have been doing this for using in sandwiches, pasta, pizza... When I don't feel like stepping out in the heat to get fresh. :()

Bokashi

applestar wrote:In a hurry/lazy method for near future use -- wash sprigs and stick in ziplock bag. While frozen mash the bag to crumble. Remove stems and pour out crumbled frozen leaves as needed.

Have been doing this for using in sandwiches, pasta, pizza... When I don't feel like stepping out in the heat to get fresh. :()
I do the same thing and it's so easy to wash and freeze - then I just take out what I need for pasta sauces, pizza and the like all winter.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”