Susan W
Greener Thumb

Freezing peaches

I have frozen plenty of peaches, a few life times ago, and about to get back with the program. When I did this before, used a light sugar syrup, and put up in plastic freezer containers. In checking the how-to's, looks like one could use juice (apple, white grape, orange) for the liquid.

I figure to barely blanch the peaches, peal, slice and put up in pint containers. Some slice and freeze, pack in baggies as loose slices, but for me the container & liquid will work better.

Looking for suggestions and feed back and how others do this. The peaches are just coming on, and I'll be getting a box in a week or two. Well, small box, and work on some at a time!

applestar
Mod

Mmm! My kids love bottled peaches so that's what I did a few years ago when we went peach picking. blanch, peel, halve, cold pack in boiled light syrup, some with pits and some for me with cinnamon sticks, cloves, whole allspice, and then hot waterbath.

Do frozen peaches come out different? More fresh?

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Yes, the ascorbic acid factor. I figure to add some lemon juice to the mix. When checking the labels on juice (apple, white grape, orange), no added sugar, often Vit C is added. I'll still add some lemon.

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Update on peach freezing! I just put up 4 more pints.

I am halving the peach, peal and cut out bad spots (no blanching), cut into chunks. Then put in plastic freezer container, fill with juice, put on top, label and to the freezer. For liquid I'm using unsweetened apple juice, vit c added plus a good squirt of lemon juice.

As it's usually just me, 2 cup containers better than 3 or more, and they are hard to find! I did stumble on a new line from Ball (the canning people). These are heavy plastic, tall, something like a wide mouth canning jar. I figure the less top surface area the better. Only real glitch is they are not cheap! (so how many refills can I get from one of these containers?!)

Susan W
Greener Thumb

Update, test on frozen peaches. In looking around for some fruit for supper, none fresh on hand, thought I should TEST the frozen peaches. Num Nums! I pulled out a 2 cup container, put in bowl with cold tap water. When thawed enough just poured into nice (small) ceramic bowl. Ate some. They have a bit of tang from the apple juice and added lemon juice.

Bokashi

Susan W wrote:Update, test on frozen peaches. In looking around for some fruit for supper, none fresh on hand, thought I should TEST the frozen peaches. Num Nums! I pulled out a 2 cup container, put in bowl with cold tap water. When thawed enough just poured into nice (small) ceramic bowl. Ate some. They have a bit of tang from the apple juice and added lemon juice.
When we get overloaded with peaches we slice them in half, place them on a cookie sheet and put them in the chest freezer until frozen. Then we gather them up and put them in a freezer bag - perfect for getting a few out each time we do a smoothie. :D

Bokashi

brisgarden wrote:
Bokashi wrote:When we get overloaded with peaches we slice them in half, place them on a cookie sheet and put them in the chest freezer until frozen. Then we gather them up and put them in a freezer bag - perfect for getting a few out each time we do a smoothie. :D
We do the same as you, but freeze them with a mix of other fruits too, so we have a perfect little recipe bag for the smoothies later when we're feeling lazy! I haven't ever worried about blanching peaches.
That's a great idea! I've thought about putting vanilla yogurt in ice trays and I bet you could easily mix the cubes in with the fruit for perfect smoothies. :D

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”