gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Habanero Pepper Jelly and Salsa

I have tons of Habs right now and am picking upwards of 20 a week off the 2 bushes I have, so I decided to make some Habanero Pepper Jelly and Habanero Pepper Salsa. The jelly came out to my liking but the salsa is going to need another Hab to make it have a bit more zip.

Habanero Pepper Jelly- this makes 3 pints

7 Habanero Peppers seeded/pith removed and diced fine
1/2 red Bell Pepper diced fine
1/2 green Bell Pepper diced fine
2 cups Cider vinegar
6 cups sugar
1 3 oz. package of Pectin liquid
Food coloring of choice is optional. A few drops go a long way.
Large pot of boiling water for a water bath at the end.

Wear gloves when dealing with the Habanero Peppers or your hands could get a bit uncomfortable from the capsasin.

In a large enough saucepan, combine the vinegar and sugar over heat till all the sugar is dissolved. Add the peppers and bring to a nice rolling boil for 10 minutes, stirring frequently. Add the Pectin and boil for an additional minute. Place the jelly into jars and leave about 1/4 inch head space. Put in a boiling bath for 10 additional minutes after sealing the jars. Remove from bath and let cool to seal.

You can use more Pectin if you want it to set more firmly similar to jello. One additional 3 oz. container of pectin will do the trick.

Habanero Salsa

6 Jalapenos skins roasted and removed, seeded and pith removed diced fine
2 onions chopped fine
1 red bell pepper diced fine
1 green bell pepper diced fine
2 tbsp. garlic minced
1 tbsp. sugar
1 tbsp. salt or to taste
1/2 cup Cilantro chopped
2 limes juiced
4 28 oz. cans petite diced tomatoes drained of excess liquid
2 Habanero Peppers seeded and pith removed diced fine

I just added all the ingredients into a large stainless steel bowl and mixed well, tasted and adjusted the salt to my taste.

Now I've got to do this with the Ghost Peppers I have. I'll let you know how Ghost Pepper Jelly turns out when I make it sometime next week.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Nice recipes! I just made sage jelly, pineapple sage jelly, and lemon balm jelly. Pineapple sage jelly is made with pineapple juice instead of water; it came out the best.

Let us know how the ghost pepper jelly turns out. It seems like either you would have to use microscopic amounts of the pepper or it would be too hot to be pleasant as jelly....

I have Anaheim chili's coming along, but not ripe yet. My first foray into the world of hot peppers and obviously it's a baby step! :D

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

[quote][/quote] I made the Ghost Pepper Jelly a couple days ago and it is actually milder than the Habanero Pepper Jelly since I cut back on the amount of peppers used by about half. Next time I'll add a few more to make it a bit hotter.

Once the peppers are seeded and the pith removed, they are considerably milder, as are most peppers.

Your jellies sound great, by the way. My wife was home when I was getting ready to make the pepper jelly and she was amazed at the amount of sugar used to make it. When I make a large batch for giving away pints at Christmas, I'll go through 15 lbs. of sugar making my pepper jellies.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”