LA47
Green Thumb

Spagetti Squash- How to fix it?

I bought a spagetti squash to try. Read the directions, poked holes in it, and baked until a knife went through the skin easily. It did spiral out, like spagetti, but was pretty crunchy. I made spagetti sauce. Mike said it was fine but it was really sweet to me. :shock: It didn't go with the sauce. How else would you fix it? I have quite a bit left over and would like to use it up.

prettygurl

I will put anything on the grill. :)

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

the reason it's called spaghetti squash is - as you noticed - the 'strands' tend to stay firm. that's the nature of the beast . . .

what to do with it?
it can be used as a direct replacement for pasta
swirled into small patties & fried - bit like "hash browns"
egg dishes - add as filler to anything like quiche or omelet
chop to about 2" length for (vegetable) soup add
"bird nest construction" for hot / cold salads - think "tuna melt on a bird's nest"
or a "Strammer Max" dish - patty topped with fried/soft cooked egg, etc.

LA47
Green Thumb

Thanks! I've got some ideas now.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Hi LA. I make this recipe often and love it! Sometimes I jazz it up with Kalamata olives and Parmesan Reggiano. Also great as a pasta substitute.

https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/emer ... index.html

You can also make it sweet - add a little dark brown sugar and cinnomon.

DaisyChain
Newly Registered

You can just put it in a pan with some butter and garlic and parsley and cook for a few minutes, then add some parmesan.

LA47
Green Thumb

Thanks for all the suggestions and recipes. I ended up experimenting. I chopped the squash up into more bite-size strands and used it in an oreintal type stirfry with sugarsnap peas, water chestnuts, broccolli, bean sprouts, soy sauce, and whatever else sounded good (I really should write my experiments down!) and the mixed in the squash like it was rice. It was good that way.
Another question. Can I freeze the left-over spagetti squash?

DaisyChain
Newly Registered

Yes, just put it in normal freezer containers, or even better in freezer bags, then you can squeeze a lot of the air out.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Late in replying. I would not freeze. Squash has a high water content and will get mushy if frozen.

kcal34
Newly Registered

late reply, but I just joined! My family would eat it as a side dish. We would have cinnamon sugar or just plain cinnamon on the table and butter. sprinkle on as much cinnamon as you'd like with as many pats of butter as you'd like!

w_r_ranch

We just cut them in half (lengthwise) & put them cut-side down in a shallow cake/pizza pan. Poke the rind a few times with a fork to allow steam to escape & pour about 1/8" of water in the pan. Cook in a 350 degree oven until it is tender. Serve it either with spaghetti sauce or just butter & salt/pepper.

We grow enough of them here to last us year round.
Attachments
Saghetti_Squash_062712.jpg
Saghetti_Squash_062712.jpg (26.94 KiB) Viewed 2512 times
Spaghetti_Squash.jpg
Spaghetti_Squash.jpg (43.53 KiB) Viewed 2512 times

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”