LA47
Green Thumb

Tattler or re-usable lids

I finally ordered 10 dozen large and small mouth lids. I was so tired of having lids that didn't seal, especally when using a pressure canner. A couple of years ago I found an old lid, maybe 15/20 years old, that I had and compared it to the new ones. I was shocked at how flimsy the new lids are and how little of the rubber seal is on the new ones. No wonder they weren't sealing? Has anyone else tried these? They are like the old glass jars with the glass lid and bail with the re-usable rubber rings.

applestar
Mod

I thought you were talking about the new plastic (well some kind of synthetic) lids tht I've been eyeing. I've tried the German Weck jars with glass lids and rubber rings, and with those, the rubber ring gets pushed askew in the pressure "cooker" -- I don't have a pressure canner (and I was only experimenting, not seriously "canning") Weck actually only recommends them for hot water bath canning.

Haven't seen this Tattler (brand?) you mentioned.

LA47
Green Thumb

Yes it is the Tattler brand. I was only refering to the very old jars that used rubber rings. These have a plastic or some composit that I can't remember right now. It's safe to use in a pressure canner and the lids can be used indefinately, unless broken. The rubber rings can be re-used up to 20 times. I did a bunch of research on them as they are kind of expensive. I probably won't try them out until summer and will report back on them then. I just wondered if anyone here had actually used them.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”