ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Roasted garlic

I LOVE roasted garlic. I just put 4 pods of garlic in my garlic roaster, This wierd looking terra cotta garlic shaped THING with a glazed interior. It will take an hour to roast. I cut the tops off of the garlic and drizled with really good olive oil. A little water and olive oil in the bowl. Smells sooo good. I keep my roasted garlic in the frig and use it in everything!

rkunsaw

Mmmmm, that sounds so good. We bought one of those garlic roasters over a year ago and have never used it. I'll have to dig it out my next cook day.
Larry

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Yeah, I have one and had never used it until my (adult) son was here over Christmas and doing very fancy chef style cooking...

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Please DO use it :!: Roasted garlic is sooo wonderful. I use it in lots of recipes but my fave is to butter a slice of french bread, slather it with roasted garlic, grate some Parmasan Reggiano on top and pop into the toaster oven. When I cook a chicken or a hen I loosen the skin from the meat and tuck in roasted garlic, reconstituted porcchini mushrooms and cheese - goat cheese, gorgonzola or shavings of Gruyere, Assiago or Parmesan Reggiano. Oh - a very few rosemary leaves to kick it up. Roasted garlic with potatoes. Just a little roasted garlic in an omelet.

When the garlic is roasted a lot of the bitterness is cooked out. It is much sweeter and not as over powering.

Try it.

SOB
Green Thumb

I agree that roasted garlic is wonderful to eat as well as the aroma produces makes the house smell delicious!

I don't have a fancy roaster like you guys :wink: but what I do is tak a piece of tin foil and place some cloves (still in the skin) inside and a drizzle of olive oil. Then I close it up keeping it loose inside. The skins pull right off and I find it helps keep the garlic from burning.

We like to add it to mashed potatoes...

LA47
Green Thumb

You are all making me,not only hungry, but feeling very plain Jane-ish. I have recieved many compliments on my cooking but it is very plain Jane. Most of the cheeses and spices you've mentioned I don't recognize and they sure aren't at our small local grocery stores. Also, I love seafood but rarely buy any. We lived near the Wa. coast for a couple of years and I discovered the the fresh shrimp,crab, fish, etc. tastes so much better than frozen that I can't bring myself to spend the big $$ to buy the frozen stuff.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

I feel your pain about frozen seafood. I have 2 brothers living in Colorado. They fish so they have nice trout but no other fresh seafood. When they visit all they want to eat is seafood. Last year my younger brother had his 50th birthday and his wife had her 40th so they had a 90th birthday party. Bless his little southern heart. He went to the expence of having live crafish shipped to Denver Colorado so he could treat his friends to a real south Louisiana delicacy. He also shipped fresh oysters, shrimp and crab meat. I have no idea how much he spent for the privilege of all of that wonderful fresh seafood but I know it was a LOT.

Mom and one of my sisters went to Denver for the party. Good thing. Steve needed their help to teach his northern guest how to peel boiled crawfish.

prettygurl

I love it rubbed over bread then dipped in sauce. Mmmmmm.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”