ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Another challenge - Appetizers

Here are 2. Both have unusual flavor combinations that make your mouth happy :lol:

Stuffed dates

Heat the oven to 350 degrees

Dried pitted dates - usually about 30 in a bag
Thin cut bacon - 1/3 slice per date
Pecan halves.

Stuff each date with a pecan half and wrap in 1/3 strip of bacon. Secure with a toothpick.

Line a sheet pan or a broiler pan with foil (easier cleanup)
a broiler pan is good because it has the grate. fIf using a sheet pan put a grate on top if you have one. Arrange the dates close to each other but not touching. cook on the center rack for 15 minutes. Turn each one and cook for another 15 minutes or until the bacon is done.

DO NOT serve hot - room temp. The sweet from the dates, the woodyness from the pecans and the salty smokyness from the bacon is an amazing combination!

Can be prepared ahead. Refrigerate for up to 3 days or freeze either before or after cooking.

Jacob's Gruyere Shrimp

Jacob is my Niece's fiancee. He is a line chef at Brennan's in Houston. He has entered and won numerous cooking competitions. This recipe was a blue ribbon winner.

Heat oven to 350 degrees.

Thin slice bacon - 1 strip per shrimp. Partially cooked - not crispy - limp enough to wrap the shrimp with. If the bacon is not partially cooked the shrimp will over cook waiting on the bacon.

Large (10-12 count shrimp) Peeled - tail on or off. butterflied and deveined
Gruyere cheese - cut into strips 1/4" thick and as long as the shrimp
Jalapeno - cored and seeded cut into 1/4" strips

Place the shrimp cut side up on the end of a strip of bacon. Put a sliver of cheese and jalapeno in the cut and wrap with the bacon. Secure with a toothpick

Line a sheet pan or broiler pan with foil - a rack is recommended. Arrange the shrimp close to each other but not touching.

Now plan on doing a test run for timing. A lot depends on the size of the shrimp and your oven. Do your first test at 10 minutes. The shrimp should be just done - no longer translucent but still moist and tender. If 10 minutes isn't long enough increase the cooking time by 2 minutes.

Serve hot or at room temp. The prep can be done a day in advance but not the final cooking.

Absolutely AMAZING :!:

Your turn.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I will be growing Anaheim chilis this year specifically so I can make poppers out of them, one of my favorite appetizers.

Bruschetta on crostinis with basil, mozzarella and tomatoes.

Stuffed mushrooms (goat cheese and bread crumbs is one possibility, but there are lots)

Vegetarian croquettes (lots of possibilities, based on beans, lentils, sweet potatoes, etc etc)

Samosas - Indian appetizer thin pastry that is stuffed with a filling of vegetables and spices.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Sounding real tasty! Keep em coming :idea: Rainbow - I love poppers. How do you do yours? I usually stuff jalapeno peppers with cream cheese - flavored is really nice - like pineapple cream cheese. I wrap in thin slice bacon and broil or grill. Pecan halves on top of the cream cheese kicks it up.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

No bacon for me! :) I stuff them with a mixture of cream cheese and Cheddar cheese and bread them (dip well in milk and then in flour) and then fry in oil.

rkunsaw

I really want to try those stuffed dates.Maybe I'll try it with figs too since we have fig trees.
I used to buy the boxes of assorted dates from Shields Date Farm. They are so good.
We have made the bacon wrapped stuffed jalapenos. Sometimes they are quite mild and other times scorching hot. Jalapenos vary so darn much. But either way, I like 'em.

prettygurl

you can't go wrong with alton brown's spinach and artichoke dip.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”