ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Breakfast challenge

Post your very best breakfast recipe - include drinks and sides. Bring it on! Challenge to you all :lol:

lorax
Greener Thumb

Belgian waffles (the kind where you separate the eggs and fold the whipped whites into the batter before ironing) filled with wild blueberries. Butter and maple syrup (the real thing).

Sides: crispy thick-cut smoked back bacon; chopped pineapple, pitahaya, papaya, mango, strawberries, and ripe red bananas.

Drink: Chocolate Ambateño - dissolve tablets of drinking chocolate in scalding whole milk (whether you sweeten this is up to your personal tastes), froth with the molinillo, pinch of cinnamon or ishpingo, drop a slice of fresh cheese into the cup.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

For an elegant breakfast, cheese blintzes - it's like a crepe wrapped around a ricotta - cream cheese filling. Here's one recipe:

https://theshiksa.com/2010/05/19/shiksa-blintzes/

but the traditional recipe has nutmeg in the filling. Usually served topped with strawberries, raspberries, etc.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

My wife works M-F, so having breakfast during the week isn't happening. However, on Saturday or Sunday morning I'll cook us a nice breakfast.

We both like what I call smothered potatoes. I'll take 2 of any type potato at hand, peel and cut them in 1 inch cubes, thinly slice 1 small onion, chop 2 green onion tops for color, and mince 1 small clove garlic. I use a non-stick deep frying pan with 1 tsp. bacon grease or olive oil and lightly brown the potatoes over a med-high heat. Once the potatoes get some color, I'll add the onion and let that cook down till wilted then add the green onion tops and garlic. When the potatoes are nice and brown I'll sprinkle about 1 tsp. of Paprika, add salt and pepper to taste and cook about 5 minutes longer till potatoes are fork tender.

In the meantime I'll make us a ham, onion, mushroom, cheese omelette, have some whole wheat toast with real butter, perhaps some home made jelly, served with a hot cup of coffee if we eat this before 10 a.m., after that it's Bloody Mary's.

LA47
Green Thumb

This is a cholesterol bomb but what I grew up with. Now it is New Years day breakfast only. I won't include the recipes as they are pretty standard.
Creamy sausage gravy
Cowboy potatoes
Eggs-cooked however you like them
Fresh hot baking powder biscuits/ fresh butter
Jams and Jellys

applestar
Mod

Lorax can you grow wild blueberries t your high elevation?
I spot an anomaly -- real maple syrup. Local or Canadian? 8)

I like French toast made with fruit juice and yogurt in the egg/milk mixture and good bread, butter/mild oil mix in the pan. Real maple syrup and powdered sugar. Fresh berries in the summer, frozen berry compote in the winter with freshly squeezed OJ on the side.

I also favor what's available omelet -- open the fridge and pantry and take out likely ingredients. Prep, cook, assemble. Freshly brewed coffee and OJ.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

YES :!: Love all of the wonderful recipes :!: Eggs really are a miracle food. There is no limit what you can do with them.

This is fun. Post your own cooking challange. sounds like there arelots of great cooks out there. Pick a dish or an ingredient and throw it out there.

lorax
Greener Thumb

applestar wrote:Lorax can you grow wild blueberries t your high elevation?
I spot an anomaly -- real maple syrup. Local or Canadian? 8)
High altitudes in the Andes have their own native blueberries. Vaccinium floribundum is the species; we call them Mortiños. Surely I've mentioned these before? They have a very brief season and are exclusively wild-harvested.

As for the real maple syrup, that's Canadian. From a sugarbush a couple of miles from where my Aunt lives; she very kindly brings it down for us when she visits.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”