ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Gumbo weather

45 degrees - windy and damp from the rain last night and this am. Just nasty out. Browned my chicken and sausage, made a roux, sauteed the onions, garlic, bell pepper and celery in the hot roux. Added chicken stock and meat. It's cooking away. G just walked in from his hunting trip so I can run to the store - out of rice and need to bake some small yams to go with the gumbo - oh and garlic, cheese french bread.

The bright side of a gloomy day.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Interesting. I don't know if it is because it is meat. I only cook/ eat vegetarian. But I would always sautee the onions/garlic/pepper kind of stuff first in oil or butter and then once they are tender, add the flour to make a roux. Coat everything in flour, cook it briefly to brown a little and then gradually stir in some milk. I would think it would be hard to get the veggies tender cooking them in the roux, without burning/ over-cooking the roux.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

The roux we use is a very dark roux - like dark chocolate. It requires constant stirring to keep it from burning. I toss the veggies in just before the roux get to be the right color. They finish cooking in the broth.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

What Elizabeth said. I too make a very dark roux for my gumbos, almost to the color of semi sweet chocolate. If you added the onions, bell pepper, celery (trinity in our culture) to the oil to cook first, then the flour, you'd have a nasty burned mess on your hands.

When I cook gumbo in bulk for a large gathering that will feed 100-125 people, it takes me almost a full hour to get my roux to the color I want.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

ElizabethB wrote:45 degrees - windy and damp from the rain last night and this am. Just nasty out. Browned my chicken and sausage, made a roux, sauteed the onions, garlic, bell pepper and celery in the hot roux. Added chicken stock and meat. It's cooking away. G just walked in from his hunting trip so I can run to the store - out of rice and need to bake some small yams to go with the gumbo - oh and garlic, cheese french bread.

One of my sister-in-laws is from around Golden Meadow and her family always makes potato salad to go with their gumbo. They'll toss a heaping tablespoon in the bowl of rice and gumbo and eat away. Like me, they also make their potato salad with potatoes boiled in seafood boil for a little extra zip.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Interesting. I don't know if it is because it is meat. I only cook/ eat vegetarian. But I would always sautee the onions/garlic/pepper kind of stuff first in oil or butter and then once they are tender, add the flour to make a roux. Coat everything in flour, cook it briefly to brown a little and then gradually stir in some milk. I would think it would be hard to get the veggies tender cooking them in the roux, without burning/ over-cooking the roux.

Our chopped seasonings are used to cool down the roux and slow the cooking process as they saute' in the roux. No need to worry about the vegetables not cooking down as I usually cook my gumbo down for at least 3 hours over a low fire once all the ingredients are in the pot.

Unlike some folks, I remove the chicken from the pot when cooked, let it cool a bit then pick the meat off the bones and discard the bones and fat. When you eat my gumbo, there are no bones to worry about.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Interesting. I don't know if it is because it is meat. I only cook/ eat vegetarian. But I would always sautee the onions/garlic/pepper kind of stuff first in oil or butter and then once they are tender, add the flour to make a roux. Coat everything in flour, cook it briefly to brown a little and then gradually stir in some milk. I would think it would be hard to get the veggies tender cooking them in the roux, without burning/ over-cooking the roux.

Our chopped seasonings are used to cool down the roux and slow the cooking process as they saute' in the roux. No need to worry about the vegetables not cooking down as I usually cook my gumbo down for at least 3 hours over a low fire once all the ingredients are in the pot.

Unlike some folks, I remove the chicken from the pot when cooked, let it cool a bit then pick the meat off the bones and discard the bones and fat. When you eat my gumbo, there are no bones to worry about.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

ElizabethB wrote:45 degrees - windy and damp from the rain last night and this am. Just nasty out. Browned my chicken and sausage, made a roux, sauteed the onions, garlic, bell pepper and celery in the hot roux. Added chicken stock and meat. It's cooking away. G just walked in from his hunting trip so I can run to the store - out of rice and need to bake some small yams to go with the gumbo - oh and garlic, cheese french bread.

One of my sister-in-laws is from around Golden Meadow and her family always makes potato salad to go with their gumbo. They'll toss a heaping tablespoon in the bowl of rice and gumbo and eat away. Like me, they also make their potato salad with potatoes boiled in seafood boil for a little extra zip.

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Do you like your potato salad in your gumbo or on the side? Ever put boiled eggs in your gumbo?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I've had it in the gumbo and on the side. Like it both ways when I eat it.

However, most of the time I just like my gumbos with rice, some file', saltine crackers or french bread and lots of company sharing the pot. As you know, we folks in Louisiana have a love affair with food.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I've had it in the gumbo and on the side. Like it both ways when I eat it.

However, most of the time I just like my gumbos with rice, some file', saltine crackers or french bread and lots of company sharing the pot. As you know, we folks in Louisiana have a love affair with food.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I don't understand why, as of late, some of my posts have been coming up in duplicate. I only hit submit once for each reply, but I've noticed far too many double posts, and it seems only mine for some reason.

Any ideas from the mods as to why this is happening?

prettygurl

I LOVE gumbo

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

prettygurl wrote:I LOVE gumbo

I'm flattered. Just don't let my wife find out!! :lol: :lol:

prettygurl

:lol: Funny.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”