gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Try this oyster recipe

I'm lucky enough to have access to fresh oysters by the sack and got some this past weekend for a party I threw at my house for about a dozen friends on Saturday night. I shucked 10 dozen and cooked them on my grill. The recipe that follows will do that many oysters and it can be adjusted for fewer.

Charbroiled Oysters on the half shell:

Melt 3 sticks butter in a sauce pan, add 10 cloves of minced garlic and let cook down for about 10 minutes on a very low fire. Stir often.

Wilt 3 large bags fresh spinach or equivalent in Swiss chard or other greens of your choosing. I used a mix of Chard and Spinach. Once wilted over a medium heat for about 20 minutes, place in a strainer and press out as much moisture as you can. Now chop the greens to a fairly fine texture and set aside.

Make a mixture of 1/2 Italian Bread Crumbs and 1/2 Parmesan Cheese----about 12 oz. worth total.

Get the grill to about 350 degrees and place the oysters on the half shell on the grill and let them start to warm up for about 1-2 minutes.

Next, add about 1 tsp. of the chopped greens to each oyster, sprinkle some of the bread crumb/cheese mix to lightly cover and then drizzle some garlic butter over this. Repeat drizzling the butter once again before they are done. Just be aware of flare-ups and have some tongs to move the oysters when it happens.

Let them cook until the bread crumbs brown a bit but the oysters are still a bit moist. Don't cook them too long or they get chewy. You'll see the oyster shrink as it cooks and see the oyster liquor(juice) begin to boil away a bit.

You will need to place the cooked oysters on a metal tray to take into the house. The shells will be hot enough to melt plastic trays.

Along with this, I had 2 gallons of seafood gumbo, 3 loaves of home made herb/cheese bread, 2 pans of home made bread pudding with rum sauce, wine, spirits and beer.

Truth is, I hit the big 60 this weekend and threw my own party. We had a great time.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Marlingardener wrote:Well, happy birthday to you, and thank you for giving us all a gift of that delicious recipe! My keyboard now needs to be dried of drool . . . .
Thanks MG. We had a great time until LSU lost to Bama in the final minutes of the game Saturday night------but that's football in the SEC and we got over it pretty fast. Thank goodness for beer, wine, spirits and the fact the game got over around 11 p.m.

As for the oyster recipe, everybody loved how they turned out and it was a hit with my guests. I believe I could have grilled several more dozen and they would have disappeared in short order. The first 4-5 dozen barely made it into the kitchen before they got devoured.

I had a friend over tonight and cooked fried oysters and shrimp and made po-boy sandwiches with them. We finished off the bread pudding for dessert to help clean out the fridge. He was out of town in Dallas visiting his sister when I had the party and missed out on some of the food.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Happy Birthday and congratulations! Maybe your next big party in four years? When I turned 64, I had a big "will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm 64" hippie birthday party. Put up groovy 60's posters, peace symbols, old album covers, had lava lamps, dripped candles, giant old speakers playing 60's music, etc. Got everyone to come in their best hippie gear. It was great fun!! :)

applestar
Mod

Happy Bitthday!:()

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Happy Birthday and congratulations! Maybe your next big party in four years? When I turned 64, I had a big "will you still need me, will you still feed me, when I'm 64" hippie birthday party. Put up groovy 60's posters, peace symbols, old album covers, had lava lamps, dripped candles, giant old speakers playing 60's music, etc. Got everyone to come in their best hippie gear. It was great fun!! :)
That's a great idea. However, all my male relatives and friends will need wigs to pull off the long hair days of yore since most of them are now combing their hair with a washcloth.

Of course I got the obligatory "Old Fart" joke cards. One had a guy in a cowboy hat, plaid shirt with striped pants and captioned "Don't drink and dress".

Another had a guy in shorts with black socks and sandals that made a statement about how men get older and they just don't care how they look.

Another one had a stunningly beautiful young blonde in a bikini on the cover and when I opened it there was a recording of M.C. Hammer's "Can't Touch This" playing.

I told my wife after the party that at one time I was tempted to go into the bedroom, put on a pair of shorts, pull them up about 8 inches above my waist cinched tight with my belt, tuck in my shirt, don black socks and sandals and play the "old man" bit. Funny thing is, I have a neighbor across the street that does this daily and he is my age. Poor guy is old beyond his years.

I will keep the "When I'm 64" idea logged into the gray matter. That sounds like a hoot.

prettygurl

What a fabulous spread for your Bday! Hope it was a happy one. That oyster recipe sounds so yummy.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”