Stella Blue

Raw Garlic

I really love the raw garlic in the salad bar areas of grocery stores, and was wondering if anyone here knows how they make it. I've soaked my garlic from the garden in olive oil, but it is much much hotter than my mouth can take, and is harder than in the store. I've tried lightly sauteeing the garlic, but it becomes too mushy.

Maybe I'm not using the right kind of garlic? I only grow hardnecks, being in a colder climate, softnecks do not do very well. Please help a raw garlic lover out.
Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

Stella Blue

It basically looks like its raw garlic in oil, but it is a bit softer. Maybe viniger is added to soften it up some. I'm interested in raw garlic for it's health benefits, much of which gets lost when cooked. I'm really stumped as I haven't been able to find anything online on this. Maybe I can just ask someone at the store. :oops:
Once in a while you get shown the light in the strangest of places if you look at it right.

sweetpepper*
Newly Registered

I buy 3 lbs of garlic at sams for the year and process half by baking and then pickle the rest in vinegar, to preserve them and use like raw garlic. I have kept them in ACV for close to a full year and they don't soften up or cool down much.

The thing you are after could be processed lightly, either baked, sauteed, convectioned, steamed, microwaved or a combination of them. But If you attempt to try again, cut back on the time you apply heat and see if that works. It might also be the variety of garlic.

If anybody is still reading this and loves garlic I suggest you look into "mojo de ajo" and the many recipes out there. I love that stuff, powerful flavor.

valley
Greener Thumb
Location: ranches in sierra nevada mountains California & Navada high desert

Re: Raw Garlic

I also love garlic. Raw, cooked, blanched almost any way you can think of. Wifey isn't fond of the smell when I do, she does cook with it. Wish I could fix that, maybe replacing a resistor or removing one would help her with this.

prettygurl

Re: Raw Garlic

If you find out the pickling recipe, then please post it. I am interested in trying new types of garlic.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”