m00s3

HELP! Too many Jalepenos!

I know that isnt always the case but I have had a very successful crop this year and I ate a lot/used a lot throughout the summer. from eating them raw in salads, on pizzas, in my housemade guacomole, countless numbers of jalepenos poppers, and even an early august canning session. If you enjoy jalepenos and have too many to know what to do with I suggest this recipe... cowboy candy

https://tastykitchen.com/blog/2011/09/candied-jalapenos-cowboy-candy/
https://tastykitchen.com/recipes/canning/candied-jalapenos-cowboy-candy/

now I just started to clear my garden and most of jalepenos are turning red and starting to get soft, the greens one arent getting as big so I thought itd be time to just pick them all and either can again or with the help of this community come across some new recipes

too long; didn't read?

too many peppers, I need recipes stat!

thanks all in advance and everyone enjoy your autumns

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Jalapeno pepper jelly

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/jalapeo-pepper-jelly-10000001962568/

I've gotten more and more in to jellies and jams as a something to do with extras from my garden. This year I have already made green basil jelly, purple basil jelly, strawberry- anise hyssop jam.

You can make pickled peppers or put them in pickle relish. You can smoke them for chipotle, you can dry them and string them for decorations (and later use).

In your list above with pizza and poppers, you didn't mention salsa. I'm making lots of salsa these days to use up all the tomatoes pouring in.

applestar
Mod

Do you only use green jalapeño peppers?

My two plants are loaded with them right now. I've brought them inside. (They were already in containers but I've dug them up to pot them in the past -- in fact these are 3rd year plants.) and I'll be picking them green and red for a while since they'll continue to bloom and fruit with a little bit of assistance -- just tap the blooming stems at mid-day and late afternoon. They look great loaded with red peppers at Christmas time. 8)

Thanks for the cowboy candy recipe links. I was also going to say hot pepper jelly but rainbowgardener beat me to it. :D. You could always chop them into discs or dice them and freeze them.

m00s3

applestar wrote:Do you only use green jalapeño peppers?

My two plants are loaded with them right now. I've brought them inside. (They were already in containers but I've dug them up to pot them in the past -- in fact these are 3rd year plants.) and I'll be picking them green and red for a while since they'll continue to bloom and fruit with a little bit of assistance -- just tap the blooming stems at mid-day and late afternoon. They look great loaded with red peppers at Christmas time. 8)

Thanks for the cowboy candy recipe links. I was also going to say hot pepper jelly but rainbowgardener beat me to it. :D. You could always chop them into discs or dice them and freeze them.
I brought my one healthy fruiting plant in and in a weeks time after harvesting everything I have four new peppers starting.

within the past few weeks tho I have come under attack from something?
small white bug like spider things that are eating the leaves and leaving some web like things around.

any assistance on getting rid of them would be amazing. thanks!

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Love all of the suggestions. I pickle peppers and make pepper jelly. My husband loves pickled peppers. I really like the candied pepper recipe. I am thinking about how to incorporate candied peppers with pig candy. HMMM :!: Gonna have to try that out.

Thanks again

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

ElizabethB wrote:Love all of the suggestions. I pickle peppers and make pepper jelly. My husband loves pickled peppers. I really like the candied pepper recipe. I am thinking about how to incorporate candied peppers with pig candy. HMMM :!: Gonna have to try that out.

Thanks again
Peter Piper picked a peck of pickled peppers.
Did Peter Piper pick a peck of pickled peppers?
If Peter Piper Picked a peck of pickled peppers,
Where's the peck of pickled peppers Peter Piper picked?

Sorry, I'm leaving

Eric

ElizabethB
Super Green Thumb

Ha - in the pantry!

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

There's no such thing as too many jalapeno peppers. Lately I've been eating at least 2 quarts of pickled peppers a month. I use them for baking jalapeno/cheese bread, cornbread, pepper jelly and in cooking.

A few days ago I picked 4 Habanero peppers off my plants, diced them and put them into an old 8 oz. Soy Sauce bottle, added some white vinegar, a pinch of salt and tasted it for the first time today. Man, it is some seriously hot vinegar to be used sparingly. When I tasted it I put about 1/2 a tsp. in the palm of my hand and just swallowed it. My throat caught it first, then the mouth, then like lava it traveled to my stomach.

Now I wonder what I'm going to do with the Ghost Peppers I also have growing now. I have 4 peppers on them now but it is getting colder and they won't live in those conditions. I'm afeared!!!! :lol: :lol:

Gardener123
Green Thumb

I take my peppers and add them to a bottle of vodka for really spicy bloody mary's. Usually scotch bonnet. I let them stay in the bottle for at least a month before using.

I love peppers but don't bother growing jalapenos... The local produce place sells them for 75 cents a pound in the late summer, and $1.25 a pound at this time of year. Plus, at that price, I can use my small gardening area for more expensive and exotic items.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”