PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Celery root?

Hi,

I have been noticing at this store I shop at they have been stocking celery root. I've never had it before, but I'd like to give it a try. What does it taste like? Any recipes you could share?

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

I would be interested to know what you do with celery root too. :?:

Hope someone will answer us both????

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Celeriac/Celery Root, is treated much like a potato or any other starchy veggie, peel and clean and chop and boil like you would potatoes. You can sub them in place of potatoes in most any recipe :) Hope that helps.

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

definitely not as starchy as potatoes, texturally more along the lines of carrots/beets but not quite as juicy. the taste is a strongish celery flavor. I've never really used it as a solo vegetable, but it's really good in mixed roasted root vegetables or soups. I suppose it could be shredded into hash browns (more as a component than the main ingredient, again) or salads/whathaveyou too...

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

I've only seen them used in recipes like that, but seeing as we don't get them where I live I can only speculate as to the taste and texture. lol But I would more likely be inclined to use them and treat them as a hard veggie and use them in soups as well.

DaisyChain
Newly Registered

A friend of mine makes a really nice celeriac soup, not sure of the amounts but she uses potato, leek, onion, chicken stock and cream.
It's a really nice flavor.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”