Bobberman
Super Green Thumb

Has anyone eaten stuffed grape leaves with rice??

I just had a can from Bolgaria! They were tangy like they had too much salt. The rice was fine but the grape leave was tuff like kale but pretty good! I would eat it again! I bought it at big lots for $2.50 a can! Itwas dated till 2015 also a little like spinach!

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

I have had it quite a bit. Greek and middle eastern cultures cook it. I like it too.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

There's a restaurant near my house that serves meat or vegetable stuffed grape leaves and they are very good. My wife and I will eat there at least once a month and get the lamb gyro sandwich, meat stuffed grape leaves, a large salad to split and a couple glasses of Lebanese iced tea. Very inexpensive for a full meal that runs about $30 including tip. Once in a while we will finish the meal with a cup of Turkish Coffee that is very strong, but has a nice flavor.

They also run a small store that caters to the Middle Eastern culture. There's a huge choice in olive oils, tons of dried fruits, spices, nuts and beans along with a ton of pastries and candies I've never seen before.

This is one of the things I really love about New Orleans. Within a mile radius of my house I can eat food from just about every corner of the world.

webmaster
Site Admin

Those are called dolma. They're pretty good when well done. I eat them as a side dish as a complement to a vegetable and whatever's the meat portion. Difficult to get out where I'm at now.

lorax
Greener Thumb

Hey, dolmades or kofta! Whenever my neighbour's grape is ripe for pruning, I end up with a load of good sized leaves and go to town. There is much to recommend making them fresh though - that tang you're perceiving is from the canning process, and is entirely absent from fresh rolls. They're no more difficult to make than holupcha (cabbage rolls) and follow almost the exact same process.

shelleyinmichigan
Cool Member

Bobberman wrote:I just had a can from Bolgaria! They were tangy like they had too much salt. The rice was fine but the grape leave was tuff like kale but pretty good! I would eat it again! I bought it at big lots for $2.50 a can! Itwas dated till 2015 also a little like spinach!
I just bought the exact same thing from big lots! Ate the whole can, I love dolmas. One of the local markets sells them in bulk at $5/pound so you can get as little or as much as you like. Once I tried them I was hooked. I used to have a friend of Lebanese descent who made them himself, so I'm wondering if I can harvest the wild grape leaves from the backwoods and use them to make my own :shock:

ButterflyGarden

We call them yeprach and eat them here all the time. Here is a recipe to make them at home:
3 med onions, chopped
1/3 c olive oil
1 package of rice
1 can tomato sauce
1 c water
1 tsp salt
1/4 t pepper
1 c parsley, minced
2 TB lemon juice
1 jar of grape leaves

Saute the onions in the oil. Stir in the tomato sauce, rice and water. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer until all the liquid is absorbed into the rice. Stir in the salt, pepper, parsley and lemon juice.

Rinse the grape leaves and dry them. lay them out and put a spoon full of rice in the center of each one. Wrap the leaves (like a burrito). Put them in a pan and cover with water (about 2 - 2 1/2 cups) and put something on them so the don't float. I use a oven safe plate. Bake at 350 F for about 45 minute. Serve with techina.

Enjoy!!

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”