shelleyinmichigan
Cool Member

Canning............as I go.....

Since my first round of pickling cukes perished in the heat of summer, I started several more which are now producing pickable sized cukes.

I'm not going to end up with a whole lot, so I need to be able to do small batches of sweet relish. When I say small batch I'm equating that to maybe 2 pints. It's sad, really.

I know from years of canning regular, full sized recipes that any alteration in the ph can have detrimental effects on the safety of the final product.

Does anyone have a recipe for sweet relish in such a small size batch?
I have found links for small batches of sweet jams and jellies, but I always have plenty of produce on hand for those types. If there is somewhere online that has posted small pickle batches, can the site be posted here?

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

Just cut the amounts based on what cucumbers you have

SWEET CUCUMBER PICKLE OR RELISH

Read more about it at www.cooks.com/rec/view/0,1936,145170-245192,00.html
Content Copyright ...© 2012 Cooks.com - All rights reserved.

2 c. lime
1 gal. water
7 lb. cucumbers
2 qt. vinegar
10 c. sugar
1 tbsp. salt
1 tbsp. celery seed
2 tbsp. pickling spice
Drop of green coloring

Soak cucumber chips in lime and water for 24 hours. Rinse the lime off and soak in clear water 3 hours. Rinse and soak 12 hours in the sugar and vinegar. Tie the spices in a cloth bag and place it with the soak also. Boil the cucumbers in this vinegar syrup and spice solution 45 minutes. Pack the hot pickle into hot jars and seal. If you want to make relish split the cucumbers into fourths or eighths lengthwise. This makes the soaking the rinsing easier. Grind the cucumbers before the syrup soak and cooking steps.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”