Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

Apple butter

From apples
[img]https://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/Johnfor3/applebutter1.jpg[/img]
To apple butter in a mear day in the crock pot later.
[img]https://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/Johnfor3/applebutter2.jpg[/img]
With a rotory apple peeler and a immersion hand blender it takes a ton of the work out of it.
Apples crock pot full (FULL)
3 cups sugar
1.5 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp cloves
1/4 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp salt
1.5 cup water
throw in the crock pot on high for a couple hours then turn on low.
When it starts to break up easy blend with hand blender.
VERY HOT LAVA WILL SPRAY OUT IF NOT CAREFUL!
let simmer on low till it is very thick and dark (mounds up on spoon with out sliding off)

I will be canning this tomorrow it will go in clean prepared stealized jars in a water bath for 15 minutes in 1/2 pint jars.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Oh yum.. I love apple butter and it's something I've never made. I don't have my own apples, but I could get some local organic ones.

I also don't have an immersion blender. Maybe it's time to break down and get one, since I make lots of homemade soup and it seems like a handy gadget for pureed soup. In the meantime would it be workable to puree batches of the cooked apples in the blender?

And it is acid enough to can water bath without a pressure canner?

Sign me up! :)

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Oh yum.. I love apple butter and it's something I've never made. I don't have my own apples, but I could get some local organic ones.

I also don't have an immersion blender. Maybe it's time to break down and get one, since I make lots of homemade soup and it seems like a handy gadget for pureed soup. In the meantime would it be workable to puree batches of the cooked apples in the blender?

And it is acid enough to can water bath without a pressure canner?

Sign me up! :)
You don't need the immersion blender it just saves time. A hand mixer will work also and if your up to it a heavy wisk will do also. It really depends on how smooth you want it some like it chunky.

Yep 15 minutes of boiling water is all it takes in Pints 25 for quarts.

applestar
Mod

I think in this case proper amount of sugar content is what preserves it.

Looks great! I need to make some soon as well.
-- I wish I had another fridge for keeping apples, etc. refrigeration stored harvest, but on the other hand, if I did I won't be as motivated to process them sooner.... :roll: :lol:

Question -- what is the difference between applesauce and apple butter?

DoubleDogFarm
Super Green Thumb

I would say no cloves or allspice in my applesauce and a whole lot less sugar. I like a little brown sugar in my applesauce. Spreadablity also. All the sugar makes it spreadable.

If you would like a little twist on the the Applestar Butter, add some medlar. Yum!

Eric

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

applestar wrote:

Apples are in the acid family in canning and as they get concentrated down the acid levels increase.

APPLE SAUCE has less added and it is not cooked down so thick.
8-10 apples
1/2 c. water
2/3 c. sugar
4 whole cloves
Ginger, nutmeg Cinnamon

Peel and cut apples. Put them in a crock pot. Add water, sugar, cloves and use ginger, nutmeg and cinnamon to your taste.
Set crock pot on high for about 1 1/2 hours. Then turn it to low for about the same amount of time or until the apples are very soft. Put it in a food processor. Process until desired consistency

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

One more question, please. When you say a crock pot full, how big a crock pot are you talking about? I have one, but I think it is smaller than a lot of them.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:One more question, please. When you say a crock pot full, how big a crock pot are you talking about? I have one, but I think it is smaller than a lot of them.
Mine is a large one 2 gallons I think I have had it so long I forget the size It took a good 15 fair sized apples.

It turned out real good very thick and smooth.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”