pickupguy07

preserving potatoes

Wow couldn't believe when I did a search about preserving potatoes nothing came up...

Anywho... I got a good yield of potatoes this season, and I know my girlfriends Mom used to can them. She did her's in quart cans and did not use a pressure cooker. I think she just boiled the whole can in water (not sure how long)

Well I do have a pressure cooker, but it is just a bit too short to hold a quart can. (I know someone will jump in and say use 'pints' -- but this first little digging I dad produced over a 5 gallon bucket full -- just about a 6 foot dig)

So I'm wondering how can I preserve my potatoes without using a pressure cooker. I know with out tomatoes, pickle, etc we just hot bath them... but what I've read said potatoes don't have enough acid to do that way. Someone help me out. I'm about to have potatoes running out my ears..
THANKS

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

search on "canning potatoes"

the recommendations for safe canning have changed over time - and a pressure canner is needed.

pickupguy07

man.. hate to just throw this large harvest away. Dad has a pressure canner, but the bottom is too big for my stove eyes. (I have one of those stove with radiant heat) so only a certain size pan or smaller wit fit.
So thats out too...
hhuumm

pickupguy07

OH.. I googled canning potatoes every way imaginable...
I didn't find anything that said anything other than pressure canning.

I don't know how much heat or for how long has to be generated.
If all else fails I may just have to try canning them in a large pot with the jars covered completely with water. Maybe put some kinf of lid on it to help hold more heat.

I know my GF mom did this, and I had potatoes she gave me that was in excellent shape after 5 years. But I'd rather do it "right" if at all possible. I was just hoping there was some other "right" besides pressure canning...

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Enlighten me as to why you'd want to can potatoes. I can go to the market and get all I want for between $.25 to about $.40 a lb. The jars, lids and time are worth a heck of a lot more than that.

Don't get me wrong, I love homegrown produce and do much canning myself, but potatoes??? Well, maybe it's just me. :)

pickupguy07

well for the last 9 or 10 years all I've eaten is canned potatoes, so with my garden I just naturally figured that was something else I could grow and can myself....
I see your point about the cost.
I have the same theory about corn. All that space, all that work, and each stalk just gives you one (maybe two) ears.

I had some extra space in the garden since moving my watermelon patch, so I just added the potatoes...
shame to throw them all away since they grew so well.
As far as cans I have a couple dozen left overs, so not really added expense there.... but yeah I get your point.

applestar
Mod

Someone here mentioned drying them and making home-made mashed potato mix (I was looking for organic ones at the store for a while but such a product does not seem to exist). I remember asking how to make it but I can't remember if they replied.

Does anyone know if you can make them into mashed potatoes and then freeze?

I wouldn't NOT use pressure canner if that's what's recommended. Safety is safety. If you can make themin pints then why not get started? Potatoes can be stored for a while in cool dark place.

Also, some people use turkey fryer burner outside for their large pressure canners and hot waterbath canners. (That's what I'd have to do if I ever get a pressure canner because I have a smooth top stove) Is that an option for you?

I love growing my own potatoes. Choice of varieties for one thing, but mosty because commercial potato growing regimen is simpy too scary. My kids -- always tough critics -- say the potatoes grown in our garden taste much better.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

>>I didn't find anything that said anything other than pressure canning.

yup. once upon a time, automobiles did not have safety belts.
once upon a time, automobiles did not have air bags.

which is not to say they were "safer" - they were automobiles, four wheels, engine, got you from point a to point b.

if you research all the "not nice" things that can inhabit potatoes, you'll find all the "bad pathogens" - except one - are killed by less than 212'F - ie boiling water bath - temperatures.

botulism spores are only killed at 240'F or above. that's where the pressure canners come in - because of the pressure, they reach higher temperatures. "low acid" etc - seems you've got that picture.

the size of the canner vs. the size of the burner is apt to be a non-issue. it may take longer to get the canner up to temperature, but my bet is the burner will produce/transfer enough heat to build up / maintain the (required) pressure over the specified time.

my grandmother never knew what a pressure canner was - never saw one. and she put up a whole lotta' stuff every season. fed a whole lotta' people. nobody died; then again there are thousands of car collisions every day where the airbags do not deploy and nobody got dead.

is it the best approach given today's technology and knowledge? probably not

given the economic of "off season potato cost" and "equipment cost" - buying a pressure canner to "save" one harvest is likely not easily justified. if you're gardening and have many other vegetables to can/preserve, the justification may change - either based on strict $/veggie or "taste better" of "I did it myself" type reasons.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Mature potatoes will store for a couple of months. Brush the dirt off, but do NOT rinse or wash. Store them unbagged (or in burlap bags) in a cool, dark, dry place with the best air circulation you can-- hanging in burlap bags in the basement is good.

If you have more than you will use in that period of time (lucky you!), cook them now (mashed, roasted, whatever) and then freeze the cooked potatoes.

I also wouldn't bother canning potatoes.

pickupguy07

Dad called a little bit ago... He told me that he had a pressure canner...
(Something I never knew)
Anyway his is bigger than mine.. and his stove top is one with the raised eyes.
So looks like if nothing else I can prep them, then take them to his house and can them...
I had planned on canning mine for the reason I like them in chucks to start with. That way you have "options". Mash them and make fresh mashed potatoes, Cut and cooked as hash browns, fried potatoes, etc. I also use them in a killer Brunswick stew recipe I have.

Thanks for the info. Appreciate you folks always pitching in with informative info, and suggestions.

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

I can all my potatoes from my garden and after you eat canned potatoes you will know why they are better than fresh!
They are super easy peal slice or cube put them in the prepared jars add some salt and pressure cook!
I have lost way to many potatoes by trying to store them raw. If one goes bad and you don't catch it you will loose 20 of them. That rot spreads fast.
Potatoes cooked with a little butter parsley it is like eating butter they are so tender.
Here is just a little bit of what I have canned I think I have a little over 100 qts of green beans and 120 qts of potatoes
[img]https://i80.photobucket.com/albums/j176/Johnfor3/2012-07-30_13-47-17_282.jpg[/img]

pickupguy07

uumm yummy
thanks for posting

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”