sciencegal

Yummy cream of cucumber soup

This year I planned to make three different soups that I can freeze. The first one which I made today is a cream of cucumber soup from the Victory Garden Cookbook (adapted from a recipe by Julia Childs). I had to eat one whole bowl of it even though it's hot and humid today because it was so good. I mean it was really good.

Tomorrow I'll make a pureed turnip and greens soup then next in line is a ginger carrot soup. Nothing like a hot bowl of vegetable soup come winter.

Here is the recipe for the cucumber soup:
2 lbs of cucumbers, peeled, seeded and roughly chopped, I used 4 good-sized ones.
2 TB butter
1/3 cup chopped onions or shallots
5 cups chicken broth
1 Tb wine vinegar
1/2 cup chopped dill
1/4 cup quick-cooking farina (cream of wheat)
Salt and pepper

Melt the butter and cook the onions or shallots until wilted for 2-3 minutes; add the chopped cucumbers, broth, vinegar, and 1/3 cup of the dill. Bring the broth to a boil, and whisk in the farina. Simmer uncovered until the farina is very soft, about 20 minutes. Puree.

When served whip in about 1/2 cup sour cream or Creme Fraiche (I used greek yogurt). You can top it with thinly sliced raw cucumbers plus a sprinkling of dill. It can be served cold but I loved it hot.

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

Copied the recipe and will be trying it, once we move into our "new" to us home. :D

Can't wait to try a bunch of these recipes, but your's sounds yummy.

Thanks. :D

edelweiss

I made your recipe the other day, different but very tasty

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”