applestar
Mod

Tromboncino squash

I'm going to go look for other recipes and references I posted elsewhere and add to this later, but I had to create a thread of its own for this wonderful squash.

I planted it for the first time thisyer because it's a C. moschata species with solid tems that are said to be less attractive/resistant to SVB's.

It is a fast growing vigorous vine (I think I have three plants and they are taking over my garden bed that was originally designated "Sunny Meadow") and a female flower will already have a 4-5" fruit behind it. It can be eaten at this stage with stuffed blossoms, or at almost any stage after that as summer squash, all the way to fully mature 24"+ hard skinned sweet orange flesh winter squash that keeps well just like butternut squash.

Well, I haven't gotten to that point yet, but I picked an overgrown fruit approximately 20" long about a week ago. The skin had started to fade in color when I picked it, and while on the counter, started to look jaundiced. I ate about 4" section of the long neck twice (skin still tender enough to eat) putting the fruit in the fridge after breaking off the first 4" several days ago.

Today, I finally got around to cooking the remaining 4" neck and the 8" long bulbous end with diameter of a grapefruit. As I suspected, the seeds were almost mature. But taste test showed that the hull wasn't completely hardened yet, so I baked the halved squash with the seeds in (1/2" water, several pats of butter, salt)

The skin was hard so I peeled it off -- very thin and came right off. Then I cut it up into chunks (similar texture to Spaghetti squash except the flesh didnt shred into strands) and added the drained pieces to sautéed ground beef, onions, and a good handful of immature garlic seed pods, added canned tomato sauce (organic but store-bought, I'm afraid) and a tablespoon of peanut butter emulcified with the squash cooking liquid. Then I put leftover cooked brown rice in some of the cooking water in the casserole dish used to bake the squash, layered the meat/squash mixture over it, dimpled the top and added shredded aged gruyer, topped with more tomato sauce, arranged roasted peeled, chopped green Corno di Toro peppers around the edge, topped with a couple of slices of Muenster cheese -- baked at 350 for 40 min, then broiled at 400 for 5 to brown the cheese. Mmmmmm, mmm!

The immature but filled out seeds are like soft hulled pumpkin seeds and added extra nuttiness and protein and fiber. (obviously way lot of protein -- yeah and fat -- already in there and vegetarians could very well enjoy this without the beef and still have a complete meal) :D

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Thanks for the shout-out to vegetarians! :) Sounds wonderful.

I think I just found my new favorite squash, since I am again giving up on zucchinis. :(

Oh well, my neighbor gives me all the zucc's I want. She can't grow them here either, but they have a farm down in Kentucky. I don't know if the SVB's and such aren't there or if it is just with a farm, the bugs can get some and you still have some left. When I'm growing two plants, there's not enough to share...

I will have to remember when I'm looking at seed catalogs, I want delicata and tromboncino! Where did you get your tromboncino seeds?

applestar
Mod

That would be fret Marlingardener. Let's find out how well this squash performs in different regions. 8)

Rainbowgardener, I'm pretty sure I bought my Tromboncino seeds from Southern Exposure Seed Exchange, but I like the description at Boundtiful Gardens better so I have that in my notes. Bakers Creek (rareseeds) has a different variety (?) listed that people have commented on as identical to Tromboncino. One poster wrote that they start saving fruits to mature about two months before first frost. They also have quite a few other C. moschata squash listed. I'm looking at a couple of those for next year in addition to Tromboncino -- I want to try one of the Japanese ones as well as the large lobed French pumpkin since I had given up on growing large pumpkins due to SVB's. Johnny's is another catalog that identifies the squash species. They also have a beautiful blue-green fruited species from Thailand.... It would be so cool to plant both the French and the Thai squash in my Front Yard Edible Landscaping... but -- oh boy -- I can imagine what DH will say once they start taking over the front lawn..... :roll:

Not counting chickens -- as the saying goes -- but I'll most likely have Tromboncino seeds at the end of the season.... Caveat: I'm growing Seminole pumpkins (another moschata) in the veg garden on the other side of the house, so no guarantees. Personally, I've pretty much made up my mind to follows jal_ut's recommendation to just buy squash seeds and use the homegrown squash seeds for eating. Tromboncino has nice big seeds -- hopefully they will be tasty -- so far no reason to think they wouldn't be.

applestar
Mod

Here are big ones I'm leaving to mature with one of our cats as size reference :wink:
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/56a68f13.jpg[/img]

She wasn't all that interested in being a squash spokescat :lol:
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/6c0de485.jpg[/img]

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Is butternut squash one of the ones the borers don't like? All my summer squash bit the dust, but I have a couple of butternut squashes coming along.

applestar
Mod

Yep. Butternut is a C. moschata. :wink:

applestar
Mod

[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/B83D0090-34F7-42B9-9BC5-946BED5C9A81-22782-00000F6F517EAE5B.jpg[/img]
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/73AD1D33-9606-4D87-8AAD-075D6C9A3B5F-22782-00000F6F5B58D89C.jpg[/img]

applestar
Mod

I harvested the mature Tromboncinos today -- fall rains started and the vines rapidly declined. Since the fruits had turned tan and their vines had dried up, I decided it was time:
[img]https://i290.photobucket.com/albums/ll272/applesbucket/0A6CA6E1-8B8E-499C-9899-9613C168BEAD-28009-00001463245DEB30.jpg[/img]

The biggest curvy one is three feet long. But only about 6.5 lbs.

Next year, I want to also try growing winter moschata varieties that are said to grow mature fruits up to 25-35 lbs. I wonder how big that would be? 8)

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”