Avonnow
Green Thumb

Advice I am buying a dehydrator and sieve - help

I did try to search for this, so sorry If his has been talked about. I had a cheapo dehydrator . it lasted about as long as it should have for the price. I need to get a new one but lord almighty there is so much out there. I can't spend more the about $60.00 anyone have any recommendations or advice. I am not a stickler for noise if it is loud as long as it doesn't interfer with sleep. I do worry about ones that get real hot on the outside. I use it for drying hot peppers, making bread crumbs, herbs, and tomatoes. I also want to buy for next year a Tomato sauce thingy, or sieve I have seen alot of options, advice on something reasonable would be appreciated. I do not have a fancy blender to add a attachment to, and I do not mind manually working anything, I roasted and canned all my tomatoes and would love to make sauce. again thanks in advance! :wink:

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

I have a Nesco dehydrator it is pretty good, I have had no problems with it.

I am about to get a Victorio for sauce. Model 250 it's acutally on sale at Amazon right now for $47 normally about $70. There are a few people on my Tomato froum that swear by this. I actually went out and bought an inferior model recently that I took back today. :x The Vicotrio is on the way. Another great sauce maker is the Fabio Leonardi they are Italian and much more expensive.

Good luck. Take a friends advice don't settle for second best. Do it right I found that out this weekend. :oops: :twisted:

https://www.amazon.com/Victorio-VKP250-Model-Strainer-Sauce/dp/B001I7FP54/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1344393673&sr=8-1&keywords=victorio+strainer

https://www.fabioleonardi.it/tomato-crushers.html

Avonnow
Green Thumb

I appreciate that, I did look at the Nesco and I love Amazon and shop thru them alot, because people do review the items. Thanks, I am going To go back and look again at these two. I want to be prepared next year. When I bought my first tablet it was inferior and it was my fault for going cheap, I returned it and cringed and got the IPAD and never looked back best product I ever bought, so your advice is so true. :wink:

Enginerd

I just got my very first food dehydrator - I haven't used it much yet, so I can't let you know if it's a good one or not. (So excited to make food for backpacking!)

I do, however, have an excellent food mill - OXO 1071478 2-1/2 Qt. Stainless Food Mill. It has 3 disks with different hole sizes, which comes in really useful. I've used the large holes for asparagus soup, the medium holes for tomato sauces, and the small holes for raspberries. I've used all 3 for varying textures of apple sauce. After you "fill it up and smoosh it out" a few times, you have to clean out peels/seeds (I use a spoon), but I think that's standard for any food mill. Seems very durable and sturdy for the ~$30 I spent on it a couple years ago.

What I really wanted was one of those old-fashioned cone shaped food mills with a wooden pestle. That's what my grandmothers used - I might have to settle for an antique on e-bay!

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

No offense enginerd but the OXO is the I was talking about above, that is one I took back.

The victorio or the fabrio work 100 times better. No need to stop and clean out. The seeds come out the side while the suace etc come out the front.

Enginerd

I need one like that! Now I'm going to try to break the OXO so I can get a different one. Maybe I'll try grinding up tree leaves, twigs, small rocks... :twisted:

Avonnow
Green Thumb

Wow that is weird on the OXO as I have a salad spinner - I love from them as well as some other kitchen (small) hand tools and I have usually been happy with their quality Believe me I am taking advice and reading reviews - nothing worse then taking something back. Sometimes I used to sit in the store and read one box after another. Now I ask from people who have experience, thats why I really like Amazon. All the reviews. I know most people will write a bad review vs a good one - cause their mad and want to be heard. If I can't afford what I want they are going on my christmas list as I have time before next spring. This years crop is pretty much done for tomatos. :D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

OXO does have some nice stuff but the food mill did not fit the bill.

Enginerd my link above from amazon has the Victorio on sale right now for $47. free shipping and no tax it was cheaper than the OXO. It is the same basic principle of what you are looking for and what Marlin is talking about.

[img]https://www.victoriokitchenproducts.com/images/products/vkp250_quarter.jpg[/img]

applestar
Mod

What's the difference between that one and back to basics?

Green Mantis
Greener Thumb

gixxerific.....Did you purchase the extra pieces with it for different uses?

Looks like a great strainer, I also want to buy a real good food dehydrator.

Do you have any favorites, or ones you would have liked to have bought, except for price?
I really want to look at real good ones.
Thanks so much. :D

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”