Tina Thomp
Newly Registered

I have a question about pickling cucumbers

Hello from AZ,
New to chat, old to gardening. My garden is really starting to produce and I want to make some dill pickles. Any one else into this?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Welcome to the forum! I'm sure lots of people around here make pickles. I've never canned pickles, but I made refrigerator pickles a couple times that came out nice.

This thread

https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=111281&highlight=refrigerator+pickles#111281

has a link to a refrigerator pickle recipe

Refrigerator pickles means they have to stay refrigerated and they will only keep for 6 weeks or so, vs canned pickles that keep for a long time on the shelf as long as they stay sealed.

Ruffsta
Green Thumb

dustyrivergardens wrote:Welcome, If you cant find one you like. I will send you mine.

luvthesnapper

Here's a recipe from Balls Blue Book, for "Dill Pickles". They have others if you want them.

Yield: 7 pints or 3 quarts

8 pounds pickles, cut lengthwise, sized to fit your jar. (or however you want them cut, imo)
3/4 cup sugar
1/2 cup pickling or kosher salt
1 quart vinegar
1 quart water
3 tablespoons of your favorite pickling mixture, or balls pickling mixture.
Fresh Dill

Combine sugar, salt, water, vinegar, in a sauce pot. Simmer pickling spices in that mixture for 15 minutes, in a spice bag. You can use a coffee filter, and just tie it with a bread loaf tie, and drop it in also.

Pack cucumbers into hot jars leaving 1/2 inch head space. Add one sprig of dill to each jar, or more, to your liking.

Ladle hot liquid over cucumbers in jar, leaving 1/2 in headspace. Add 1/4 tsp. of food grade calcium chloride to each jar, if desired, to keep pickles crisp. Or, add balls "pickle crisp", which is calcium chloride.

Remove air bubbles from jars, add lids and rings to each, and process pints and quarts for 15 minutes in boiling water canner.

You can also add a hot pepper to each jar for spicy pickles. Also, you can add one clove of garlic, 1 bay leaf, and 1/2 tsp of mustard seed to each jar, for kosher style pickles.

Let cure for 6 weeks, to develop flavor. You could cut them really thin, and do "sandwich stackers" like Vlasic does. Don't know if you've ever seen those or not. You could make thinner, longer pieces for hot dogs/sausages. Round slices for burgers, etc.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”