PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Do the tops of the jars need to be under water?

Hi,

The last few jars of pickles I did I boiled them in a pot where they were about 2 inches above the water. Is this ok? I bought a larger pot recently but found out it is more suitable for a steamer because it is made from aluminum. I tried boiling in it and the water never got a to rolling boil but it did get really hot and bubbled. I thin I am gonna take it back since I am not sure I can use this for canning.

barrelslime

They should be sub-merged with at least an inch of water

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Yes, over an inch of water above the jar tops is recommended. You can get the regular cold pack canners in aluminum, enamel, or stainless steel. They are about 10 inches deep so you can do quart jars in them. Our extension office will not endorse the steamers, but say to use the water method. If you are thinking of getting started in home canning, be sure to check with your extension to see what info they have.

Here is what our USU extension has on the subject: [url=https://extension.usu.edu/utah/htm/fcs/food-preservation-canning/usda_home_canning/]Canning Guide[/url] It is good info for everyone. You just have to pay attention to the altitude thing for your area.
Last edited by jal_ut on Wed Aug 01, 2012 4:33 am, edited 1 time in total.

luvthesnapper

An hour and a half for stand alone tomatoes? Is that correct Jal?

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

Whole, halved, crushed or juice? Each type has its own time reqiriement. Do as the guide says for the type you are doing and remember the altitude thing.

Since tomatoes are borderline acidic, the times are quite long. We have taken to doing ours in a pressure cooker. I don't like canned tomatoes, but like the juice, so we only do juice. Much shorter time for juice.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”