luvthesnapper

1lb. Of 21-30 Shrimp - Recipes?

I traded some peas and cucumbers for a pound of shrimp. Anyone have any recipes? Maybe something fried, or a pasta? It's more than I thought, so I don't have cook the whole pound at once.

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Recently I made shrimp tacos. Just threw them in the frying pan with a little oil, put some chipotle powder, cumin, coriander, onion powder, little lime juice, salt and pepper etc. Put the cooked shrimp in shells and added homemade salsa, slivers of avocado, lettuce etc.

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

very good I agree I love Shrimp taco's

luvthesnapper

Good idea with the tacos. Made some the other day with salsa mostly from the garden. Just put a quick saute on them in butter, and rolled them up in tortilla shells like a small burrito. Man, they are good.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Wish I'd have seen this post earlier since I do a lot of cooking with shrimp. I use it in casseroles, gumbos. etouffe's, sauce piquants, fried, boiled, etc..

Yeah, I know, I'm starting to sound like Bubba in "Forest Gump". I have a great recipe for one of New Orleans famous dishes that comes from "Pascal Manale's Restaurant". It is called BBQ Shrimp, but they are really cooked in an oven with a very rich sauce over them and the recipe calls for larger shrimp in the 11-15 per lb. range, but eaten with some French bread to sop up the sauce and you'd be in heaven.

luvthesnapper

Go ahead with it. Harris Teeter just had a "buy 2 pounds get 3 free" on 16/20's. Then, a couple days later, I saw head-on 16/20's were 5.99 lb., so I got another pound, to save the heads for stock, etc.

So basically, I'm sitting on like 6 1/2 pounds of 16/20 shrimp.

webmaster
Site Admin

Smother it in pesto and pasta. :) Pesto is fairly easy to make. Just about a half cup of basil, a half cup of parm cheese (or romano), a cup more or less of olive oil, one clove of garlic (this is one instance where there is such a thing as too much garlic), and once the blend is right a handful of walnuts chopped. Everything is mixed in a food processor using the chop setting with an occasional pulse of the other button just for fun. Where people usually go wrong with pesto is putting too much basil or liquefying the basil leaves.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

luvthesnapper wrote:Go ahead with it. Harris Teeter just had a "buy 2 pounds get 3 free" on 16/20's. Then, a couple days later, I saw head-on 16/20's were 5.99 lb., so I got another pound, to save the heads for stock, etc.

So basically, I'm sitting on like 6 1/2 pounds of 16/20 shrimp.
Here's the recipe I use for BBQ Shrimp:

2-2 1/2 lbs. large shrimp unpeeled with heads on
2 sticks real butter (NO margarine)
1 onion diced fairly fine
1 rib celery diced fairly fine
4 cloves garlic minced
4 tbsp. chopped parsley
2 tbsp. Rosemary chopped
Juice of 1 lemon
1/2 cup Worcestershire Sauce
6 oz. beer
2 tbsp. Creole Seasoning---Recipe to follow

Melt butter in a saucepan. Add the onion, celery, rosemary and Seasoning Blend. Cook this down a couple minutes then add the garlic, Worcestershire Sauce and beer, blend well and let cook for another couple minutes.

Place shrimp in a fairly shallow casserole dish and spread them out, cover with the liquid and bake in a 375 degree oven for 15-20 minutes till shrimp are done.

Have some fresh French bread ready to use to sop up the sauce. Also, don't wear a nice white shirt while eating this unless you use a bib.

Seasoning Blend:

4 Tbsp. Black Pepper
1/4 tsp. Cayenne
1 tsp. Paprika
1 tsp. Salt
1 tsp. Thyme
1 tsp.Oregano
1 tsp. Basil

What you don't use, store for another time in a sealed plastic bag.

luvthesnapper

You know what, I've seen that recipe on tv. The guy was making it in a big skillet. I remember seeing so much butter going into it, I couldn't believe it. I'm cooking that TONIGHT.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

luvthesnapper wrote:You know what, I've seen that recipe on tv. The guy was making it in a big skillet. I remember seeing so much butter going into it, I couldn't believe it. I'm cooking that TONIGHT.
I hosted a party at my house and had 16 people come over for Mother's Day. I fixed 10 lbs. of 11-15 size shrimp just this way since wife loves how they turn out.

She wanted a shrimp based dinner so I also had Shrimp Fettucini, Shrimp/Eggplant Casserole and loaves of home made bread with one being Basil/Garlic based and the other being Rosemary/Cheese based.

One of my brother-in-laws strained what remaining sauce I had left from the BBQ Shrimp and took it home to eat with French Bread the next day. It is very rich, but so worth it to cook.

Hope you enjoy.

lily51
Greener Thumb

Lucky you! I'd gladly trade some produce for shrimp!

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”