luvthesnapper

I have 4 giant baked potatoes. What should I do with them.

They are huge. Baked at 350, cooled, and left here yesterday by family who forgot to make potato salad with them.

I don't really want all that salad. Could I do home fries with cooked potatoes? What would you guys do with them.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Here's what I like to do with left over potatoes if I don't make potato salad with them.

Ingredients:
1 onion diced
2 ribs celery diced
1 bunch green onions chopped fairly fine
4 cloves garlic minced
1/4 bunch parsley chopped
4 strips bacon diced and fried crisp
1 stick butter
1 cup sour cream
1.5 lbs. cheddar cheese
Salt and pepper to taste

Melt the butter in a pan, add the onion and celery and cook about 5 minutes. Now add the garlic and cook a minute or two more then add the green onions and cook for another minute. Cut off fire and let cool a bit.

Peel and mash the potatoes. Add the butter and cooked vegetables to the potatoes. Now add the sour cream, parsley, cooked bacon bits and 1 lb. cheddar cheese and mix well. I like this mixture to have the consistency of somewhat dry mashed potatoes.

Put all this in a lightly greased baking dish and top with the other 1/2 lb. cheddar cheese and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes or until cheese is slightly browned.

mtmickey

Shred them and make hashbrowns for breakfast

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Jeez gumbo - 4 strips bacon, 1 stick butter, 1 cup sour cream, 1.5 lbs. cheddar cheese. It's probably yummy, but heart attack special!

But sure, mashed potatoes, fried potatoes, potato pancakes, oven fried, scalloped, twice baked... any of it can be done with cooked potatoes. Oh yes, potato soup, shepherd's pie...

https://tipnut.com/make-potatoes/

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Jeez gumbo - 4 strips bacon, 1 stick butter, 1 cup sour cream, 1.5 lbs. cheddar cheese. It's probably yummy, but heart attack special!

But sure, mashed potatoes, fried potatoes, potato pancakes, oven fried, scalloped, twice baked... any of it can be done with cooked potatoes. Oh yes, potato soup, shepherd's pie...

https://tipnut.com/make-potatoes/
What can I say, we folk in SE Louisiana love our food--------and the richer, the better. That's why tourists that visit our city and sample our local cuisine go away longing for more. It's like food crack. :D :D

gixxerific
Super Green Thumb

rainbowgardener wrote:Jeez gumbo - 4 strips bacon, 1 stick butter, 1 cup sour cream, 1.5 lbs. cheddar cheese. It's probably yummy, but heart attack special!

Your are right Rainbow that does sound good. :P Can I have seconds please.

barrelslime

cube them and fry in bacon grease for breakfast

Ohio Tiller
Green Thumb

mtmickey wrote:Shred them and make hashbrowns for breakfast
DING DING DING we have a winner! man they are good that way!

lorax
Greener Thumb

How firm are they? If they're in any way mealy or mushy, pull them out of their jackets...

(and stuff those with a mixture of crispy bacon, sour cream, chives, red onion, and sharp cheese, and back in to the broiler they go until the cheese melts....)

... mash them up good with an egg, then stuff balls of the result with cheese and fry on a hot griddle in abundant oil (or bacon grease, if that floats your boat), turning them exactly once. This dish is called Llapingachos (ya-pin-GA-chos), and is blow-your-head-off good.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”