applestar
Mod

Lima/butter bean recipes?

I just bought a pound of Christmas Lima butter beans to eat but have no idea how to cook them :oops: Any recipe favorites?

I'm thinking of growing some if I can get them to germinate. 8)

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

applestar wrote:I just bought a pound of Christmas Lima butter beans to eat but have no idea how to cook them :oops: Any recipe favorites?

I'm thinking of growing some if I can get them to germinate. 8)
We cook and eat a lot of beans here in New Orleans. Most Monday's find much of the population eating red kidney beans over rice for lunch. We do eat Lima beans, White Northern, Pintos etc. but not as much as red kidney beans.

This is how I fix my beans on Monday.

1 lb. dried beans
1 onion diced
1 stalk celery diced
1/2 bell pepper diced
4 cloves garlic minced
1/4 bunch green onions chopped fairly fine
1/2-3/4 lb. seasoning ham, smoke sausage or pickle meat(salt pork).
1 tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
1 tbsp. Hot sauce of choice

I'll wash and let the beans sit in warm water in a bowl while cutting the seasonings. When ready to cook, toss out the water in the bowl. Use fresh water when cooking.

Put a tablespoon of oil in a heavy pot, add the meat, onion, celery bell pepper and cook down just a couple minutes. Add the garlic and cook down a couple minutes more. Now add the beans, green onions, hot sauce and Worcestershire sauce and enough water to cover by about 1.5 inches. Bring this to a boil, reduce the heat to a slow simmer and let them cook down without a top on the pot. Stir often so they don't stick and they will thicken as the beans break down in the cooking process.

I'll let butter beans cook for at least 2 hours. They don't take as long as red kidney beans. I'll let them cook between 3.5-4 hours before they are done to my taste.

If you have a heat diffuser plate to use on your burner, it will go a long way in preventing the beans from sticking to the bottom of the pot. I have a couple that are used most every time I cook beans, stews, gumbo's, etc.

Dillbert
Greener Thumb

this was a mega-hit a our house:

buckytom - Netcookingtalk.com
june 2009

BAKED BBQ LIMAS

3 cans (15 oz) lima beans or butter beans
3/4 pound pork sausage
1 medium onion, chopped
1 clove garlic, crushed
2 16 oz cans tomato sauce
1 teaspoon prepared mustard
3 tablespoons brown sugar
Brown the sausage, onion and garlic. Add tomato sauce, mustard
and brown sugar. Cook for a few minutes. Add lima beans, cover
and bake in oven for 45 minutes at 350 degrees.

my notes
reduced qty, used
7 ounces of beans
1/2 lb pork sausage
2 x 8 ounce cans of tom sauce
other ingredients to suit

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”