gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

New Orleans style BBQ Shrimp

This is a favorite of the wife and I and I cooked this last night for our 9th anniversary dinner. It is a very rich dish that is absolutely delicious and well worth trying.

BBQ Shrimp Recipe:

Mince all vegetables very fine.

1 large onion
2 ribs celery
6 cloves garlic
1/4 cup chopped parsley
2 tablespoons fresh rosemary chopped fine
3/4 lb. butter
1/2 cup Worcestershire Sauce
6 oz. beer
2 tablespoons Creole Seasoning (recipe to follow)
Juice of 1/2 lemon
3 lbs. of the largest fresh shrimp you can get. I prefer to use those in the 10-12 per lb. range. Leave shells and heads on when cooking.

Creole Seasoning Mix Recipe:
2 tbsp. ground cayenne
2 tbsp. black pepper
4 tbsp. paprika
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. dried oregano
1/2 tsp. garlic powder
1 tsp. onion powder

Mix well and save what is not used preparing this for later use. You'll want this again.

Making the sauce:

Melt a stick of the butter in a skillet. Saute' the onions, celery, garlic, rosemary and seasoning blend for 2-3 minutes over a medium flame. Melt the rest of the butter in the pan. Now add the beer (drink the remaining beer), Worcestershire sauce and lemon juice and let this simmer for about 5 minutes to blend all the flavors.

Put the fresh, unpeeled shrimp in an appropriate size baking dish and cover them with the sauce. Place in a 350 degree oven until the shrimp are done----about 15-20 minutes. Turn them a couple times to make sure all the shrimp are cooked evenly. Place each serving in a large bowl, ladle some cooking liquid over the shrimp and use some French Bread to sop up the cooking liquid.

I love this recipe but only eat it a couple times a year since it is so rich and not the least low-cal.

I edited the recipe when I realized I forgot to mention the amount of lemon juice to use.
Last edited by gumbo2176 on Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”