PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Arugula recipe?

Hello,

I planted some arugula last year. I picked a little bit and since then just ignored it. Now I have big mounds of arugula. I would like to just harvest it all and do something with it. Anyone got a recipe that uses lots of arugula?

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I'll be following this thread since I grow Arugula and use it in salads as part of the green mix. I really don't know of a recipe that uses only Arurula as the main ingredient.

Inquiring minds want to know if this is viable.

applestar
Mod

Me too 8)

Do you think arugula pesto is a possibility? I'm thinking lemon juice and walnuts.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

I've had extremely stupid success with arugula in my raised beds. I stuck some seeds and seedlings in the holes of the cinder blocks which make up the sides of Bed #1, and they *all* succeeded. :shock: I planted seeds only in Bed #5 (2.5' x 8') in the rose bushes; those *all* succeeded, too. Then, in early January, we had to plant *something* in our rented City raised bed (4'x8'), and 3' or so of arugula went in there, too.

So...I've been treating it like kale, like chard, mixing it with kale and chard when there isn't enough of them--or simply leaving some kale and chard on the plants for "next time" and harvesting arugula to fill out the amount needed for dinner.

Just think of it as a slightly bitter green and cook away! DH thought it was a waste of time to grow arugula until the night that I went to a high-end grocery around here and told him it was $6 per pound. THAT got his attention.

Agreed that it also works in salad mix, but while he talks a good game, DH doesn't exactly EAT salad. For those of you who actually EAT salad, arugula works well with citrus and toasted nuts. I don't find any dressing necessary, since the citrus has plenty of juice this time of year.

Another salad possibility: arugula, mesclun, toasted nuts, blue cheese, pear wedges. Winter pears are incredible with arugula; I like Anjou (also called D'Anjou), Forel, Seckel, Bosc, and Red pears in this salad. I'll put a very slight amount of olive oil on this set of ingredients, since there's almost no fruit juice to speak of.

Pesto might work, too, per AS's suggestion. :)

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

soil
Greener Thumb

arugula pesto is great stuff. like mentioned use walnuts and Pecorino Romano cheese. use that on top of some Pappardelle pasta.

RogueRose
Green Thumb

Goodness what *can't* you do with arugula?!

Here are a couple of my favorite arugula salads:

Arugula-Cado

Salad:
~ arugula
~ avocado
~ shaved parmesan

Dressing:
~ lemon
~ garlic
~ extra virgin olive oil
~ salt
~ pepper

Mix dressing before so it has a chance to set. Slice avocadoes to bite size. Drizzle dressing over salad.

--------------------------------------------

Arugula-Beet

Salad:

~ arugula
~ beets
~ mild goat cheese
~ pistachios

Dressing:
~ balsamic vinaigrette

Mix salad, add dressing. Dressing lasts about 4 days. Afterwards makes a good marinade for meat.

luvthesnapper

You haven't lived until you've eaten pistachios, in a home grown salad. That last salad sounds great.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”