rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

cream of leftovers soup!

Otherwise perhaps known as cream of celery/vegetable soup. Basically I cleaned out everything that needed to be used up in my frig, but it came out yummy:

2 cups cooked rice
1 can kidney beans, drained & rinsed
1 can cream of celery soup and 1 can water
Several stalks of celery, with the leaves, chopped
Broccoli florets chopped, ½ C or to taste
2 Tbsp chopped fresh parsley
½ tsp chives
¼ tsp celery salt
Splash of white wine
Pinch of cayenne
Fresh ground black pepper
Garnish with a little shredded cheese

Throw everything but the cheese in a pot and simmer for 20-30 min; garnish!

Could have onions, garlic, whatever other veggies are on hand

The rice and beans makes it complete protein and very hearty.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Ah, yes! "refrigerator soup"! I know it well. :)

Hmm...let's see...what's in the fridge that needs to be used *right now*? And what's in the hanging veggie baskets that had better be used *real soon now*?

And very soon I'm slicing (or, if my hands are bothering me, the food processor is slicing) onions, garlic, mushrooms, maybe carrots, maybe parsnips, almost certainly celery, tossing in dried or fresh herbs for flavor, looking around for veggie or chicken stock and--could it be?--a partial can of tomato paste (hey, it's January!) that's not past its "use it or lose it" date?

What about rinsing some canned beans? Or maybe adding lentils, which cook in a shorter time frame than most dried beans? (If I had known I'd be making refrigerator soup, I would've used the 1-hour method for prepping the beans.)

Good stuff, isn't it? Esp. in winter, the aroma of a simmering soup warms you through and through, even before you eat said soup. Aaaahhhhh....

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

applestar
Mod

Your recipe sounds yummy Rainbow! :D

I made a "refrigerator" udon soup the other day. It started out as I have frozen udon noodles but I don't know what I could put in the broth, all I have is some konbu/kelp broth I made the day before..... By the time I finished, there was barely enough space for the noodles. :lol:

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

It did come out nice. The main inspiration for it was the leftover rice needing to be used up, but then I went through the vegetable crisper and found the celery and broccoli nearing the end of their useful life ...

Your refrigerator seems to have more exotic leftovers than mine! :)

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”