PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

What kind of lids on your jars do you use?

Hi,

I want to start getting into canning. The main things I want to do are salsa and pickles. I wanna pickle peppers, carrots, beets, radish, cabbage, cucumbers etc. I am also going to be making my own Kefir soon. But this will not be for long term storage.

But the reason I bring it up is I have been hearing things about lids. Some people say not to use metal lids cause the acid will eat away at it and leech into your canned contents. But I have been hearing things about plastic lids too. People are mentioning BPA and POM (formaldehyde). The whole thing is making me indecisive and cautious. Also is it true you throw away your lids after each use?

So the only other options are those hinged lids that are glass or rubber. Also if you have any recipes for pickled veggies that'd be cool too.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

Everything I put up goes in the store bought jars made by Ball with the metal lids. Those lids have a protective coating and thin rubber gasket ring on the side closest to the food being stored. I've had stuff stored for close to 2 years and only on a couple occasions have I had the screw-on ring that holds the lid in place show any sign of slight corrosion. Truth is, once the vacuum has taken place and the lid is firmly in place, I've seen some folks just remove the screw-on ring and store things that way.

I never re-use the lids once they've been used. They are so cheap that there is no use taking the chance of them not sealing.

Pickling stuff is much easier than canning things since you can simply cold pack the vegetables, add the hot brine, seal the jars and they will almost always form a vacuum. If any jar doesn't form a vacuum, let it cool completely then put it in the fridge and use it first.

You have to be real careful when canning things that are not in an acid brine. That requires putting the jars in a bath of boiling water for a particular length of time to kill any bacteria that is harmful for consumption. Many prefer a pressure cooker for this step and it is definitely the safest option in my opinion.

Many folks have sent links about safe canning practices to this site and I'd advise you to read them before you get into this since you have little to no experience in doing this.

lorax
Greener Thumb

I use one-piece gold-colour metal lids with a safety-button thingie in the center. The interior of the lids are coated with an enamel of some sort - they're the same lids used by commercial canners.

I've never had a problem, and I don't re-use lids.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Yep, same as gumbo here: the two-part lids. The flat part, with the rubber ring/seal around the edge, and the screw-down outer band.

Hot-water bath for acid foods, followed by a check to make sure the lids have indeed made a vacuum seal.

[url=https://www.fsis.usda.gov/factsheets/Shelf_Stable_Food_Safety/index.asp]USDA website for safe canning procedures[/url]. [url=https://www.freshpreserving.com/home.aspx]Ball "Blue" Book and website on safe canning procedures[/url].

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

PunkRotten
Greener Thumb

Thanks, looks like I got a lot of reading to do.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”