soil
Greener Thumb

smoked tomatoes

has anyone ever done anything so crazy. I got a bunch of sungold and various cherry tomatoes I want to dry. I'm wondering if they would smoke dry well. low temp of course (150 +/-) I made chipotle peppers the other day and I may try it next time I fire up the smoker.

RyNJ
Cool Member

I've never done this, but people do. https://www.virtualweberbullet.com/tomatoes1.html

I realize this is quite a long time after you posted the question, but whatever.

soil
Greener Thumb

its ok for the long delay. I did end up making them and they were awesome. once they were about 90% dry and were smoked I took them out and blended to a paste. lets just say it didnt last very long. and I will plan to make much much more next year. the smoked sungolds were amazing. I bet the stuff would have great storing properties from the smoking process.....if you could make it last long enough.

they made for an amazing addition to some homemade chili. just a little bit of the paste went a long way flavor wise.

RyNJ
Cool Member

I dried a large amount of my kinda tasteless better boys, and I was ABSOLUTELY amazed by how much drying them concentrated the flavor. Fresh they were disappointing, but dried, holy hell! When I went to try them I could almost not take that much tomatoeyness at one time. It was a very pleasant surprise.

soil
Greener Thumb

now just add a little bit of smokey flavor to that. I will be doing lots of them next year for sure.

jal_ut
Super Green Thumb

OK, did you cut them up at all for drying?

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

When smoking them its best to slice them. You will get more smoke flavor depening on how hard they are when you slice them. Some might fall threw a grill you can place them on foil and poke holes in the foil and then flip your tomatoes slices after awhile. If you do them whole it takes longer for the smoke to get threw the skin.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”