shadylane
Green Thumb

Any Horseradish growers out there anywhere?

I planted these something like 12 years ago, and just now finding time and was wanting to know the do's and don'ts for harvesting. When is the best time to dig them up. Is it in spring or fall.

Also if anyone is willing to share a recipe for creamed horseradish for dips or spreads.

Any advise would be greatly appreciated. :D

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

You dig the roots out in the fall, dig them out well or you will have new plants everywhere. If you want to have them grow again you can leave a couple of the small roots.
clean, scrap and finely grate the roots. Then you can freeze this at this point of you like. Generally you can mix it into mayo, salad dressing, fat free salad dressing etc. start with about 1-2 T per cup of mayo. Let sit in the frig for several days and try, add more if desired.
Note many people prepare with vinegar etc and some with sour cream if it is going to be used that day.
Also check about.com for receipes especially under Kosher/passover etc.

shadylane
Green Thumb

Thank you CharlieBear for the check about.com. Also for the time of year to harvest them. I would like to leave a few for the years to follow, especially if I don't succeed with my plans. It would seem the roots would take a lot of fine grinding to achieve that creamy texture you find in the markets.

I'm wondering if you cook the roots down it would become more tender. I'll have have to give that a try. Thank you again!!

shadylane
Green Thumb

So I gave a moment checking into it. Shows how much I know about horseradish. Information showing not to peel or grate to much, only the amount you are wanting to use due to it losing it's zest of appeal once it is peeled. The cooking till tender is NOT a good idea.
Thought about just storing a few roots in the cellar for later use.

Good suggestions from CharlieBear as well.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”