FruitAddict
Cool Member

Looking for Recipe/Directions on Sun Dried Tomatoes Canned

Hello - I am curious if anyone has a recipe/directions on how to can sun dried tomatoes. I've been trying to duplicate a sun dried tomatoe in Olive Oil and Garlic that I've had at an Italian resteraunt for years now but have been to scared to can any as I am an extreme begginer at canning. I think if you could can all the ingrediants together you would get a much better melding of flavors but from what I've read on the internet you can't really can with Olive Oil... Is this true?

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

I do. But your right, I guess no one is going to tell you can because if there wrong it will kill you.lol And it might. But I have been bottling garlic in olive oil for a lot of years. I have never tried it with the sun dried tomatoes but I will next year. I have some sun dried San Marzano Tomatoes that I grew this past year I will wait for my Garlic to be ready and I will give it a try. I just fill them up about three quarters of the way up with olive oil then top them off with white vinegar I use half pint jars about 30 minute water bath but I don't recommend anyone else doing this because I have never read that you can. So maybe I have been dodging a bullet for a few years.

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Here's a post from a member (sadly, a short-term member; happily, we have [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=52275]this set of directions[/url] to remember her/him by) from Fall 2008.

No guarantees of food safety are implied, but please note the liberal use of the words ACID and REFRIGERATOR in the directions.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

dustyrivergardens
Green Thumb

Great job...cynthia I am glad I added the vinegar to my jars of garlic. A recipe that was given to me by an old garlic nut . But that does sound like an excellent recipe for sun dried tomatoes. I am going to give it a try. I guess you could use garlic oil for a little garlic goodness instead of just using plan old oil in with the sun dried tomatoes.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”