ButterflyGarden

Basil Recipes (beyond Pesto, no meat, no dairy)

I'm looking for Basil recipes that do not use meat or dairy and are not pesto.
I've done tomato pesto tart and lots of other pesto recipes. I've done tomato basil salad and I've frozen TONS of pesto. I can't eat dairy because I'm nursing and my baby is allergic and I need recipes that do not use meat. Any suggestions?

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Wow! sounds like you had a great basil harvest. I know you said not pesto, but have you done pesto potato salad? I really like that. Otherwise:

fresh tomato basil pasta: Put a garlic clove in with the cooking water for the pasta. Chop tomatoes, not too fine. Chop at least a tablespoon of fresh basil per tomato. Mix the tomatoes, basil and some olive oil and toss with the drained pasta. A very light, fresh, summery take on spaghetti.

bruschetta

Go to epicurious.com

I put basil keyword, vegetarian and vegan, in their advanced search page and got this list of recipes:

[url=https://www.epicurious.com/tools/searchresults?type=advanced&search=basil&operator=All&att=656&att=161&att=&att=&att=&att=&att=&src=&exclude_other=]basil recipes[/url]

including honeydew with mint, basil and lime; Roasted Grape Tomato, Orange, and Basil Relish, Corn, Tomato and Basil Salad and seven others.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

ButterflyGarden wrote:I'm looking for Basil recipes that do not use meat or dairy and are not pesto.
I've done tomato pesto tart and lots of other pesto recipes. I've done tomato basil salad and I've frozen TONS of pesto. I can't eat dairy because I'm nursing and my baby is allergic and I need recipes that do not use meat. Any suggestions?
Try Basil/Cheese bread. It's pretty easy to make and tastes great, but it doesn't really use a whole lot of fresh basil to make if you are trying to use it up.

Have you thought about hanging some of the branches and drying it for later use? I'll take some of my basil and tie the branches together and hang them upside down in my shop area with a linen sheet around them to keep bugs away. After it dries, I'll strip what is left on the branches and roughly crush it and put it in herb jars.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Cheese, is dairy, gumbo. :) You quoted where she said no dairy.

But sure you can always just dry your basil. Last year when I had so much, besides making tons of pesto, I gave away several spice jars worth of dried basil as well as saving some for me, for the winter.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

[quote="rainbowgardener"]Cheese, is dairy, gumbo. :) You quoted where she said no dairy.

Duh, the price I have to pay for a public school education. Like you said, just basil will work in the dough. CHEESE, I can't believe I said Cheese for a non-dairy recipe.

Now I have to go outside in my shorts and do a chicken dance for penance.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

:D Can I come watch!? :)

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

Butterfly - I know you are still around! I bumped in to the post again. I didn't get to my what else can I do with basil phase until later in the season. At that point, I did a google search and came up with the idea of basil jelly and pancake syrup. I posted a recipe. So if you end up this year trying to find more basil uses, give it a try; I love it.

soil
Greener Thumb

try pizzas, dried powdered and added to pasta dough, soups, add to homemade bread, lots of stuff to do with basil other than pesto.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”