pickupguy07

cooking zuchini - TOO big

Long story....
But anyway I had a zuchini sneak in on me, and I was curious what my options are for using it. I just hate to throw anything away I guess..
Anyway this zuchini is about 13 inches long, and 12 inches around.
I hadn't cut it - was going to try and figure out what is the best way to cook (or preserve) it.
any suggestions.

Kisal
Mod Emeritus

They are excellent for [url=https://www.helpfulgardener.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=85882#85882]zucchini pie[/url] and zucchini bread. :)

webmaster
Site Admin

Two days ago I had good results slicing zukes and squash into 12 inch long pieces that were about an inch to one and a half inch thick. This helped them stand up to the heat and not get mushy. Because they were long and thick pieces it made them easy to manipulate on the grill without falling apart.

I grilled them on a gas barbecue grill. We first marinated it in oil, shook some salt and pepper on it, then let it sit on the grill for about three or four minutes per side.

I overcooked some of them on the skin side so I cut that off with a knife. Then I chopped it up into inch wide pieces. It tasted great, nice and sweet. There were no leftovers.

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

There are several ways to handle such a big squash. 1) you can peel it and take the seeds out. Cut it up and cook it with garlic and salt like you would potatoes. Then when it is fork tender you can make a white sauce that is laced with garlic, parsley and any other herbs you are really fond of. That is how eastern europeons used them in the last generation.
2) you can cut it in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Stuff it with a mixture of ground beef and or turkey mixed with rice and garlic. Cover with tomato soup, sauce or ketchup. Place in a large sheet pan and bake covered or uncovered until the squash is fork tender. Serve with salad and mashed potatoes. I made that one up when I was in college and suddenly found I was going to have 10 guests over for dinner. They loved it and it has become a family staple, for those inevitable too large squash.

FruitAddict
Cool Member

When I get a few that are to large I like to make them into pickles!! Yummy!!

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”