soil
Greener Thumb

the garlic recipes thread

for those who just harvested a ton of garlic and don't know what to do with it or maybe you do know what to do with it, well post recipes and ways to eat/use garlic here for all to see.

since it was mentioned in another thread, ill start with the pickled garlic. a very tasty snack when you want a quick something to munch on. or great on pizza too.

https://www.garlicfarm.ca/garlic-recipes-pickles.htm

post up what you know!

CharlieBear
Green Thumb

Roasted garlic. cut the top off the cloves and brush with garlic and olive oil. Roast in the over or on a grill until very soft. Delicous and addictive.
I put it in everything. I am allergic to onions, but not garlic so I substitute garlic. Generally about 2 T minced for every 1/2 c onions. Except in things like liver and onions, it seems to do the trick very nicely.

soil
Greener Thumb

yea roasted garlic is the best.

rainbowgardener
Super Green Thumb

I use a lot of garlic with my basil for pesto, which I make a bit heavier on the garlic than the recipe calls for.

Last year I had such a bumper crop of basil, I still haven't used the last of last year's (frozen) pesto and that's despite the fact that I dried several spice jars worth.

soil
Greener Thumb

yes I like to use lots of garlic in my pesto as well. specially with the nettle pesto.

we had an amazing basil year last year too.

ButterflyGarden

Here is my recipe for Garlic Soup!

40 cloves of garlic
1 t minced garlic
1 T dried parsley
1 T chicken bullion
2 quarts of water

Place everything in a pot and boil. Lower heat and cook for 3 hours.

Also garlic butter.
Roast several heads of garlic, mash it and mix with melted butter (I use margarine) and refrigerated until solid again.

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

Were doing roasted garlic tonight.
Get a baguette slice and toast it alittle.
Roast your garlic
Pour olive oil over it
Put some blue cheese on each baguette slice add roasted garlic and some olive oil.

Flo54
Newly Registered

How do I freeze garlic?

GardenGnome
Greener Thumb

FREEZING GARLIC
Perhaps the easiest way to preserve garlic is to freeze it. Just peel the cloves and place them in freezer bags in the freezer. Easier yet, simply place the unpeeled garlic in freezer bags and remove as needed. With both these methods, the cloves become a little mushy when they are thawed, but their flavor remains good.

Another method for freezing garlic is to chop it and wrap it tightly in plastic wrap. With this method, you can simply grate or break off small amounts of chopped garlic as needed, which is helpful for cooks who often must quickly throw a meal together.

You can also freeze garlic that has been pureed in oil. This is nice because the oil keeps the mixture from freezing solid and it can be spooned out as needed, another help for busy cooks. To make frozen garlic oil puree, place one part peeled garlic cloves in a blender or food processor along with two parts olive oil. Puree the mixture, then immediately transfer it to a freezer container. Cover the container and place it in the freezer. Do not store the garlic oil puree at room temperature or in the refrigerator because the mixture can support the growth of Clostridium botulism bacteria.

Flo54
Newly Registered

Thank you GardenGnome.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”