gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

A good day for cooking and canning.

Over the past 3 days I've picked 2 gallons of figs off the tree in my back yard, so time to make fig preserves. I've got a huge pot of them going on the stove as I type this.

I also had close to 100 pods of okra from my garden, so today is a good day to smother down some okra for use in gumbos and soups. They are both going strong, side by side.

As if that wasn't enough work, I have close to 2 gallons of cut Purple Japanese Yard Long beans that I will cook down with some ham, a vegetable seasoning medley of onions, bell pepper, celery and garlic. I'll also add some potatoes and carrots in it to go with dinner tonight.

The house sure smells good, but the kitchen is getting pretty toasty.

hit or miss
Green Thumb

Nice! Canning season will kick in one of these days here. With the heat and drought it's been really tough on the garden.

2cents
Green Thumb

gumbo,
that sounds nice, I can almost smell your kitchen
can you include picture for us northerns to taste.
We won't be canning for over a month.

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

hit or miss wrote:Nice! Canning season will kick in one of these days here. With the heat and drought it's been really tough on the garden.

My tomato plants are now a thing of the past. I had a great crop this spring and up to about a week or two ago, but the vines were wilting badly and had reached their end, so out they came.

My cucs, beans, peppers and okra are all doing very well but most all else is "heat beat". That, along with the figs I'm picking daily are being canned, dried and given away. I only have 1 fig tree, but it is loaded with figs. I've been keeping a fairly accurate count and have picked over 1000 figs this past week with yesterday leading the way at just over 300.

My favorite time to garden is in the fall with cooler temps. less weeds and many fewer bugs and diseases. Let's see, only about 3 more months away.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”