pickupguy07

preserving cabbage

I have three for four heads of cabbage that are due to be picked..
About to leave on vacation for a week.
Curious if there is a way to preserve this in some form..

I generally make fried cabbage, or boiled cabbage out of it when I eat it.
SO only way I can see to save it is to freeze,.. but I didn't know if it would be fit to eat after freezing..??
I figured someone would have tried and know

!potatoes!
Greener Thumb

kraut.

pickupguy07

!potatoes! wrote:kraut.
YUK
I was hoping I migt be able to blanch them, and them freeze them to make boiled cabbage (or something) later..??

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

pickupguy07 wrote:
!potatoes! wrote:kraut.
YUK
I was hoping I migt be able to blanch them, and them freeze them to make boiled cabbage (or something) later..??

I make a lot of home made vegetable soups in the winter months and use cabbage in all of them. I find it leaves something to be desired once frozen and loses almost all texture. I'm not sure how it would work if you just blanched it and froze it. If I had that much cabbage, Kraut would be the way I'd go-------------but I really like Kraut.

pickupguy07

Yeah...
I found some instrustruction about how to blanch it... so I did three heads last night.... It's either that or lose them
Like you suggested blanching them would seem the way to go.
I'm probaby only going to make boiled cabbage or fried cabbage out of it later so the texture isn't as important as if you were eating slaw or something. (I don't guess)

I have learned a lot so far this year.. and I plan to put out more cabbage this fall. So I'll have eaten some of what I just froze by then, and I'll know if it's worth going to the trouble of freezing.
Thanks for your insight.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”