nosta

Beef Jerky.

Do any of you make homemade beef jerky? If so, would you share your recipe? thanks

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I make it about 5-6 times a year and between my wife, daughter and I, it goes pretty fast. This is how I do it.

I'll buy an eye of round roast, usually about 6-7 lbs. Trim off all fat and sinew and slice against the grain of the meat in just under 1/4 inch thick pieces. I find if I slice it on a slight angle such as this ( \ ) it slices easier and you have more control over the thickness.

I'll them put it in a stainless steel bowl and add the following:

2 tbsp. Worcestershire Sauce
2 tbsp. Tabasco or preferred hot sauce
2 tbsp. Soy Sauce
1 tbsp. Garlic Powder
1 tbsp. Salt
1 tbsp. black pepper
1 tbsp. Chili Powder
1 tsp. Cumin

Mix the meat well to make sure all the meat is seasoned then cover the bowl and place in the fridge for 24 hrs. I'll be sure to turn the meat several times to keep all the meat wet and coated with the seasoning. Some liquid will leach from the meat but that is OK.

I have a food dehydrator to dry the meat with and it takes several hours to process all this meat. I can't get all the meat on the 6 trays I have at one time. I like it dried, but not so dry as to be stiff and hard like dried leather-----a little moisture still in the meat is what I look for with the meat stiff but still pliable with a little effort. I'll take it from the dehydrator and put it on a rack to cool completely before putting it in a storage container. You don't want moisture to form in the container with warm jerky since that can cause it to go bad quicker. If we don't eat it in a couple days, I'll simply put the bag in the fridge and it will last about 10 days.

You may get about 2 lbs of jerky if you're lucky.

nosta

thanks for the recipe. I will make some this weekend.
:D

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

nosta wrote:thanks for the recipe. I will make some this weekend.

You'll see why Jerky is so darn expensive. That roast, depending on cost of meat in your area, will likely set you back about $20+, then there's the cost of making the stuff. But it is so good.

You may want to play with the recipe a bit since I really don't measure things when cooking. I go mostly by sight, smell and feel but the measurements I gave are likely very close. Just be careful with the salt since it intensifies as the meat dries.

nosta

gumbo2176 wrote:
nosta wrote:thanks for the recipe. I will make some this weekend.

You'll see why Jerky is so darn expensive. That roast, depending on cost of meat in your area, will likely set you back about $20+, then there's the cost of making the stuff. But it is so good.

You may want to play with the recipe a bit since I really don't measure things when cooking. I go mostly by sight, smell and feel but the measurements I gave are likely very close. Just be careful with the salt since it intensifies as the meat dries.
I made some last year but it didnt quite have the zing I was looking for. If I remember correctly I used almost the exact ingredients you called for with the exception of chili powder and hot sauce. That is definitely going to give it the punch it was missing.

I'm like you when it comes to eye-balling measurements. I add smaller ammounts, taste, adjust.

I will be using a London Broil to make mine. The market had them buy one get one free and the 2 big ones ran me about $8.00

Thanks again for the recipe. I'll let you know how it turns out.

BTW: My okra is about to bloom. Can't wait to try your Grilled Okra recipe.

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”