applestar
Mod

help me with young radish seed pods?

I'm harvesting a lot of young radish seedpods. They ARE yummy and taste like spicy radish, but I have too much.

I was thinking if I food process them with some vinegar, salt, etc. they might actually make a good mustard/horseradish like condiment that would go well in sandwiches and with meats. But I have no clue what to do.

I was hoping some of you with more experience with this kind of cooking would have recipe ideas. I'm willing to just try small batches and see how they turn out.

applestar
Mod

Well, in the mean time, I tried blanching them for a minute in hot water then chopping and adding to chicken salad. Cooking reduces the bite and the crunchy texture provided good substitute for celery. :D

applestar
Mod

Today, I made garlic scape and green radish seed pod pesto. :()
About 3x as much garlic scapes as radish seed pods. Used the pods fresh, though blanched as above might have been less spicy. EVOO and sesame seeds (raw, may have added more nuttiness roasted), Limeade and Sea salt.

It was excellent on cold pork chop sandwich with slivered green onions. :wink:

thanrose
Greener Thumb

Sounds good, sounds interesting. I've eaten the pods when they were quite young, but imagine more mature pods could be, uh, woodier?

Just as you are creative with substituting this in other recipes, you might look for forager's uses of Lepidium virginicum and of Capsella bursa-pastoris. Both of them are foraged with peppery seed pods that get pickled or ground or otherwise used as condiment and vegetable.

Steve Brill says "Grind the green pods with vinegar, miso, garlic, turmeric, and salt in a blender to make a superb prepared wild mustard." That's Wildman Steve Brill talking about Lepidium virginicum.
[url]https://www.wildmanstevebrill.com/body.html[/url]

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”