WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

Pickling Question...Rather Idea/Hypothesis LOL

OK, question for you guys out there who do pickling....

Has anyone ever thought to reuse their pickle juice after buying store bought pickles?? I mean here's what I'm thinking...pickling juices and brines are made from mostly vinegar, which practically lasts eons. Can it be resused for fresh home grown veggies and fruits? I love sweet pickles and but thinking of trying pickled green beans this year...but I don't know of any good sweet pickle brine recipes...I'm thinking save my picle juice! lol

IDK...anyone please chime in here...I'm a huge cooker and baker as well, but pickling is not something I've tackled yet...I am always looking to try new and different and I love pickled green beans, so I thought why not try it this year?

Thoughts on this hypothesis are welcome! LOL :)

gumbo2176
Super Green Thumb

I'm not a huge fan of the store bought pickle brine for the most part. I prefer my brine to have a bit of zip in the form of pepper heat and garlic flavor so I make all my own brines.

Vinegar is very cheap and I buy it by the gallons and a friend recently brought to my attention an excellent store bought "Bread & Butter" flavoring mix that is quite tasty. I'll pickle green beans, okra and cucumbers in a regular brine but I also pickle sliced cucumbers, green tomatoes and the smaller brussel sprouts in the bread and butter brine.

If you are not comfortable or unsure of ingredients, check the "Recipe" section for tips and how to's or do a google search on the net for tons of recipes.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

ok thanks...im just wondering though...would it work?

cynthia_h
Super Green Thumb

Because of the potential health risks in canning when unknown substances (the ingredients & amounts in the pickle juice) are used, many members here are reluctant to simply say "Yes" or "No" to a question such as you have posed. For information on making pickles, jams, jellies, conserves/preserves, and other harvest preservation foods, your local ag. extension office or the [url=https://fnic.nal.usda.gov/nal_display/index.php?info_center=4&tax_level=3&tax_subject=358&topic_id=1610&level3_id=5942&level4_id=0&level5_id=0&placement_default=0]USDA[/url] is the best source of up-to-date, tested recipes with the proper acidity levels for long-term keeping.

If you want to try an *experiment,* of course, no one can stop you, but you will be proceeding at your own risk--and that of anyone else in your household.

Cynthia H.
Sunset Zone 17, USDA Zone 9

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

thanks i assumed that....this is pickling vinegar and brine was recent purchased pickles though....thanks guys

thanrose
Greener Thumb

I have not done this as a canning experiment, but I have used leftover pickle juice to marinate hardboiled eggs or some veggies in the fridge. For fairly quick consumption, as in less than a week. There is some small penetration of flavor. One: no heat applied. Two: spices have already yielded much of their intensity in the first pickling. I would do eggs or broccoli again if I had a surplus.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

thanrose thanks....yese i was just curious if it actually did do anything lol...not going to do it as a canning experiment but just a small one in the kitchen i thought it would be something to try is all...im always curious about lots of stuff (sometimes i drive my fiance up the wall lol)

hit or miss
Green Thumb

It would work, to some extent. Boil the pickle liquid first, I'd probably add some vinegar also. Keep the experiment in the fridge also.

Go to Walmart or somewhere and buy a Ball Blue Book of Canning. It's chock full of information and recipes for canning. Personally, I don't care for store bought pickle juice and prefer my own.

WinglessAngel
Green Thumb

ok thanks, I'm not going to try it i was more wanting to just pose the question lol i wanted to see if anyone else had tried it and what their results were :) i have a curious streak in me lol

Return to “Canning - Preserving - Recipes”